Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
They are miserable and they have no love life. Probably haven't been on a date in years. We got two posters in Tx who still haven't found a mate and have too much time on their hands. People who are happy don't troll message boards. Expect the trolling to increase during the holidays. Ask anybody who is happy with their life if they troll message boards daily and 99% of them will say no. They are lacking something inside. Plus they secretly hate all the new developments in the city and they hate it
I lived in Atlanta for nearly 20 years of my life and unfortunately most of that experience was negative. That hardly makes me a troll. No need to resort to personal attacks. You'll be alright though, tonygeorgia AKA gerrythesnake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Had no choice, my parents moved to Atlanta. Leaving is tricky because an employer needs to invest a bit in you before hiring.

My moving to Atlanta wasn't a choice for me either.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hang in there, midtown mile girl. If I had a job I would hire you.
Thank you, "Elbow Room"!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Link for the original poster. No its not perfect but says there is a chance of perm opportunities in january

Check out who’s still hiring for the holidays | The Biz Beat Blog

Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
FYI: Regarding "...Denver has one of the highest points in the country Pike's Peak.", that mountain is 94 miles distant to the south from Denver via I-25 & takes about 2&1/4 hours via car to get there. That's a tad further than central Atlanta is from the South Carolina state line via I-85. So, I'd reconsider the "Denver has" phraseology.
Much of Denver proper within the city limits is pretty flat, especially as compared to the topography in Atlanta & the area out by it's airport, which is within the newer & expanded Denver city limits, is some of the flattest, most forsaken brown landscape I've ever seen.
If you're at the airport & turn your back on the far distant front range & look east, the scenery has nothing on western Kansas.
And don't forget the lovely tumbleweeds blowing by.
Don't see why not? Posters here cite the mountains that are within reach of Atlanta, not to mention the "great beaches".

Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Don't see why not? Posters here cite the mountains that are within reach of Atlanta, not to mention the "great beaches".
Nobody says that Atlanta actually has mountains (excluding Stone and Kennesaw) or beaches; they are cited as being easily accessible from Atlanta. Denver's proximity to the Rockies is obviously an advantage, but it's not IN the Rockies. Words do mean things.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 36,730 times
Wow, the thread has gotten pretty interesting!!

To answer some of the questions pertaining to the jobs I have applied for...Executive Assistant (over 10 years experience), Marketing Analyst (5 years experience both corporate and entrepreneurial), legal in real estate (6 years experience) and self-taught graphic and web designer (2.5 years experience) earning over $50K in the first two positions (although not employed in those positions in the state of GA) and that was without a degree. I was actually forced into working in the legal field when the economy was declining and foreclosures was booming...now it's pretty much dried up! I have overall 17 years experience as an entrepreneur always as part-time to have an extra source of income so I wasn't solely dependent upon my main source of income.

Despite my troubled employment experience I feel Atlanta and surrounding cities (specifically northern part) is a great place to raise a family and that's why the decision to move has been so difficult. I have been trying to have that mustard seed faith in the hopes that something will come. I did, however, had a phone interview today for yet another promising position that I should hear back on in a couple of days for an in-person interview.

I realize everyone's experience here is different and some people may have that luck. To me, getting a job here is like trying to win the lottery! LOL I will not say this place sucks simply because of the unfortunate circumstances because I have experienced great success over the years with my businesses but not enough to sustain a family. However, I do regret staying as long as I have. At times, I feel being too talented has been a curse for me but whatever I will embrace it.

What I find amazing is the jobs here such as an Administrative Assistant require a Bachelor's degree and only want to pay $10-$11. But I guess at any rate some pay is better than no pay.

Anywhoo, I appreciate all the feedback, criticism of your assumptions and those that private message me because they really could relate and understand the struggle.

@Mattie - Congratulations to your son on his new job!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 AM

226 posts, read 275,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativmind View Post
Wow, the thread has gotten pretty interesting!!

To answer some of the questions pertaining to the jobs I have applied for...Executive Assistant (over 10 years experience), Marketing Analyst (5 years experience both corporate and entrepreneurial), legal in real estate (6 years experience) and self-taught graphic and web designer (2.5 years experience) earning over $50K in the first two positions (although not employed in those positions in the state of GA) and that was without a degree. I was actually forced into working in the legal field when the economy was declining and foreclosures was booming...now it's pretty much dried up! I have overall 17 years experience as an entrepreneur always as part-time to have an extra source of income so I wasn't solely dependent upon my main source of income.

Despite my troubled employment experience I feel Atlanta and surrounding cities (specifically northern part) is a great place to raise a family and that's why the decision to move has been so difficult. I have been trying to have that mustard seed faith in the hopes that something will come. I did, however, had a phone interview today for yet another promising position that I should hear back on in a couple of days for an in-person interview.

I realize everyone's experience here is different and some people may have that luck. To me, getting a job here is like trying to win the lottery! LOL I will not say this place sucks simply because of the unfortunate circumstances because I have experienced great success over the years with my businesses but not enough to sustain a family. However, I do regret staying as long as I have. At times, I feel being too talented has been a curse for me but whatever I will embrace it.

What I find amazing is the jobs here such as an Administrative Assistant require a Bachelor's degree and only want to pay $10-$11. But I guess at any rate some pay is better than no pay.

Anywhoo, I appreciate all the feedback, criticism of your assumptions and those that private message me because they really could relate and understand the struggle.

@Mattie - Congratulations to your son on his new job!!!
I hear ya sister! Where will you go if you can't find a job here?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativmind View Post
I will not say this place sucks simply because of the unfortunate circumstances because I have experienced great success over the years with my businesses but not enough to sustain a family.
This already puts you in a different category than those who love to return to bash the place. Kudos to you.

I also wish you well with your upcoming interview!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times
OP needs to apply heavily for jobs in Texas.

Large Texas cities are just as much great places to live and raise family as Atlanta is, but you will do much better career wise if you are having trouble here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta