Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I am doing my part to warn others of the horror that is Atlanta's economy. And I will continue to do so, on this board and others.
Your wasting your time lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
This thread is attracting a who's who of ****ty posters. Mathman, of course, and now this guy^^^. You guys left in body, but certainly not in spirit.
Will they still be around in 2 years when we're hitting our stride and heading into another economic boom with unemployment at 5% ? nah

Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I am doing my part to warn others of the horror that is Atlanta's economy. And I will continue to do so, on this board and others.
I think dating would probably be a better use of your time.

And we're already telling people not to move here if they don't already have a job lined up. But of course what you really mean is that you're going to tell people that Atlanta is America's Mogadishu and that no one should ever move here under any circumstances whatsoever, even if they got offered their dream job.

Sorry you had a tough go it here, I really am. But seriously--let it go. You'll be a lot better off for it.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Also OP, if there is one thing I learned while I was in Atlanta and posting on these boards about my own job searching hardships, most of the people on the Atlanta forum would rather ridicule you than ever at admit that their city has an economy that SUCKS!
^^^This all day long!

Quote:
People are already doing it to you with the interview comments. Next they will be telling you that you don't network enough. Oh, you do go to networking meetings twice a month? Well you should be going every week! You should be going to church and networking there because church folk always help with getting you a job!

They will also say that you must be an unskilled worker or you must have a useless degree. They have even gone so far to say that a JD is a useless degree and anyone who has a law degree in Atlanta and can't get a job, it's their fault for going to law school. Yes, this has been actually said on this forum.

Quote:
You won't go to church? You won't network everyday? You won't sit down for 8 hours a day and apply for jobs nonstop that won't even give you a response upon submitting your application? Its your fault you are unemployed! That is the BS they will say!

Ugh. The whole Atlanta experience was one of the most foul in my whole life. I won't even as much as stay in a hotel in that terrible city for the rest of my life.
If you say anything negative about Atlanta and it's the truth, they will still say you are the problem. I have to come back to Atlanta to get my things out of storage and I still have friends there. If it weren't for the fact that I still have friends and belongings in Atlanta, I'd never set foot in Georgia ever again.

I take that back. I'd come back to Atlanta for DragoCon and maybe Momo Con but that's about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
OP, I highly suggest you leave Atlanta. I wanted to experience life outside of Florida so I moved to Atlanta and spent 7 months of this year up there. I sent out resumes ALL OVER THE PLACE. I have a bachelors degree, professional certifications, and years of experience in my field of work and NO job would hire me in Atlanta. I only received one interview and that was from cold calling HR departments.

I left Atlanta and moved to Denver where the economy is so much better. I secured good employment in my field within just two weeks. Moving to the dump that is Atlanta is probably my greatest regret in life as it is a calamity that could have destroyed my career forever.

Also consider OP, that not only is Atlanta's economy terrible, but it is not even getting better. Unemployment in Atlanta today is higher than a year ago.

Over-the-Year Change in Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Get out as soon as you can!! I really do feel for you. I was there and experienced the same thing.

Denver is a downgrade to Atlanta. Atlanta is better in every category. We have better nightlife, we are more diverse, we have better transportation, better shopping, better restaurants, better entertainment, better nightlife, more attractive women, we have more tourists, etc. I'm sorry you had to dowgrade your life moving to Denver. Btw since you have been gone Buckhead Atlanta and Krog St Market has opened, Avalon opens this week, PCM opens early next year, the streetcar opens soon, the largest sports complex in the world has opened ine hour north of here, etc. Im sorry you will be in the cold eating at Olive Garden every weekend but at least you have a job. Btw stop trolling our forum (you and the other troll) and get a companion because you have too
much free time on your hands. You both are miserable, can't get a date to save your life so you come to the Atlanta forum posting negative stuff. You don't see me in the Denver or Dallas forum talking about how boring it is. While yall continue to hate we will have the best football stadium in the world opening in a couple of years, new movie studios opening, the leaves onour trees are changing and we have some of the most beautiful scenery in the country while yall are driving looking at ugly brown dirt everywhere, new developments are starting construction all over the city, etc. So chew on that tonight.

Last edited by afdinatl; 10-28-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Denver is a downgrade to Atlanta. Atlanta is better in every category. We have better nightlife, we are more diverse, we have better transportation, better shopping, better restaurants, better entertainment, better nightlife, more attractive women, we have more tourists, etc. I'm sorry you had to dowgrade your life moving to Denver. Btw since you have been gone Buckhead Atlanta and Krog St Market has opened, Avalon opens this week, PCM opens early next year, the streetcar opens soon, the largest sports complex in the world has opened ine hour north of here, etc. Im sorry you will be in the cold eating at Olive Garden every weekend but at least you have a job. Btw stop trolling our forum (you and the other troll) and get a companion because you have too
much free time on your hands. You both are miserable, can't get a date to save your life so you come to the Atlanta forum posting negative stuff. You don't see me in the Denver or Dallas forum talking about how boring it is. While yall continue to hate we will have the best football stadium in the world opening in a couple of years, new movie studios opening, the leaves onour trees are changing and we have some of the most beautiful scenery in the country while yall are driving looking at ugly brown dirt everywhere, new developments are starting construction all over the city, etc. So chew on that tonight.
You lost me at sentence #1. I may not approve of all the Atlanta bashing that's been going around in the last few months (especially in this thread and the #15 GDP thread), but I don't see the need to put down Denver.

Hell, they actually have a bonafide, voter-approved regional transit plan, which we don't have. Front Range residents are right next door to one of the best mountain ranges this country has to offer. Denver has done a great job at cleaning up their downtown, and they have tons of projects either in the works or under construction. I'd say Denver is a very nice city with a lot going for it, both socially and economically.

- skbl17

Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh
Will they still be around in 2 years when we're hitting our stride and heading into another economic boom with unemployment at 5% ? nah
If that happens, they will likely still be around. Except this time, there will either be a) dead silence or b) threads and posts mocking us for our "optimism and naivety" before going into long tirades about the eventual bust.

It's likely that Houston would still have a larger economy, so Mathman would still be around with his "just making sure you don't get too full of yourself" posts.

There may even be an increase in C-D threads complaining about Atlanta traffic/sports teams/politics/schools/crime/neighborhoods/density. The Urban Planning forum will be filled with endless threads dissing Atlanta for its sprawl and congestion, ending with questions like, "How can those people actually want to live in such a disgusting, sprawly place?" They already exist; they'll just become more frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains
I'd rather the people who are considering moving here take everything into account themselves.

Atlanta may not have a great job market, but we still have job opportunities in many fields. If the economy is so horrible, why do you think I still see the "moving to atlanta, have job, need place in Roswell" type threads on a daily basis? It's not like this metro area is a wasteland devoid of new, fresh employment.

In fact, neil0311 and gtcorndog mentioned this a while back, but does anyone consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the reason our unemployment rate is so high is because people who weren't in the labor force (and thus not counted in unemployment numbers) are jumping back in to job searches because of optimistic news about job creation, thus increasing our unemployment numbers because everyone's looking for work again? It might not be the case, but the possibility is there.

- skbl17

Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
In fact, neil0311 and gtcorndog mentioned this a while back, but does anyone consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the reason our unemployment rate is so high is because people who weren't in the labor force (and thus not counted in unemployment numbers) are jumping back in to job searches because of optimistic news about job creation, thus increasing our unemployment numbers because everyone's looking for work again? It might not be the case, but the possibility is there.

- skbl17
That's a good possibility, and it may also have direct correlation to something else that was brought up on this thread earlier: What percentage of those people who are unemployed and looking for a job are transplants. While our year-to-year population growth is down from the heyday of the 90s and 00s, it's not off by that much. We still attract thousands of new residents each year (as seen by the OP and others on this thread) who come looking for better economic opportunities than they had in their home state. And where do most of our transplants come from? New York, Ohio, Michigan.

In other words, if Detroit's unemployment level is lower than ours it may not necessarily that their economy is better, rather people who can't find a job are just leaving and artificially lowering their unemployment rate. For example, since 2010, Detroit has lost 32,000 residents. Guess where a large chunk of those people ended up.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Denver is a downgrade to Atlanta. Atlanta is better in every category.
Topography? Outdoor activities? Plus Denver has one of the highest points in the country Pike's Peak.

Quote:
While yall continue to hate we will have the best football stadium in the world opening in a couple of years, new movie studios opening, the leaves onour trees are changing and we have some of the most beautiful scenery in the country while yall are driving looking at ugly brown dirt everywhere, new developments are starting construction all over the city, etc. So chew on that tonight.
I still think it'll be hard to top "Jerry's World". Denver should have some spectacular scenery with leaves changing too.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
FYI: Regarding "...Denver has one of the highest points in the country Pike's Peak.", that mountain is 94 miles distant to the south from Denver via I-25 & takes about 2&1/4 hours via car to get there. That's a tad further than central Atlanta is from the South Carolina state line via I-85. So, I'd reconsider the "Denver has" phraseology.
Much of Denver proper within the city limits is pretty flat, especially as compared to the topography in Atlanta & the area out by it's airport, which is within the newer & expanded Denver city limits, is some of the flattest, most forsaken brown landscape I've ever seen.
If you're at the airport & turn your back on the far distant front range & look east, the scenery has nothing on western Kansas.
And don't forget the lovely tumbleweeds blowing by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta