Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:33 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times

Advertisements

Seems there are some things that go out of style, fall into disrepair, and they get knocked-down for alternate use before there is a resurgence of interest. From what I understand, many of the now-cherished deco buildings in Asheville survived mostly because nobody could afford to demolish them when they were considered dinosaurs. When the dated round C&S building at North Ave and Peachtree went down outside my window many years ago, I remember wondering if some day it would be missed... They don't build them like that anymore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Seems there are some things that go out of style, fall into disrepair, and they get knocked-down for alternate use before there is a resurgence of interest. From what I understand, many of the now-cherished deco buildings in Asheville survived mostly because nobody could afford to demolish them when they were considered dinosaurs. When the dated round C&S building at North Ave and Peachtree went down outside my window many years ago, I remember wondering if some day it would be missed... They don't build them like that anymore....
Were the Ashville Deco buildings maintained though? Even if they were too expensive to demolish?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In practice, what it means is they try to freeze everything as they first remember it. So historic means keeping a 1920s house exactly like it looked in 1970.
I"m surprised no one tried to save "The Limelight" in Buckhead.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think Atlanta's current use of the word "historic" is a reaction to a time when the folks in power only looked to future (and their own pocketbooks) and placed no value on anything from the past--not just old buildings, but old neigborhoods--they split Grant Park in half, and wanted to do the same to almost every historic (not in quotes) neigborhood on the east-side (Druid Hills, Virginia Highland, Morningside).
So, there is a little over-reach on the word "historic", but we also have a park instead of a highway running through Candler Park.
I think this is an accurate observation.

All of Druid Hills is actually zoned multi-family (unless it has changed with DeKalb's redesign of their code in the last couple of years). Only the historic district keeps much of it from being torn down and converted into townhomes and condos.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
So I was discussing this with a friend the other day....we both are into old buildings, and have lived in cities with a large inventory of good historic architecture.

We came to the idea that well-built buildings with true architectural merit don't stay vacant and in disrepair. That essentially "the market" doesn't allow it.

Would y'all agree with that?
A good suggestion but not always the case. Sometimes good buildings do get rundown or abandoned.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
The C&S building was more distinctive than historic in appearance. The demolition was funny because they had to take it down, ring-by-ring.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:45 PM

284 posts, read 590,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They've got some neighborhoods in Atlanta trying to do the same thing, making 70s ranch neighborhoods historic.
If you are referring to Collier Heights, the City of Atlanta has some detailed information not only on why Collier Heights should be preserved as historic, but also on the requirements for designation as well.
Trust me I do not care for ranch or split level homes, but many of these (90% according to the documentation below) are pretty much in the same state as they were when they were built, including the landscaping, larger scale & better quality details of the time period. In the pictures below you can see details that usually fall prey to renovations, like the atomic-era starburst designs on the garage door/entry/shutters, or the pierced blocks that make accent walls along breezeways / carport areas.

The cultural significance of these homes being developed during the segregation/white flight era as higher end homes for African Americans is also remarkable for Atlanta history. The 60s-70s era basements, outfitted with bars, huge pit groups, and those big cabinet stereos doubled as clubs/meeting places for civil rights leaders and also created a "house party" social scene (...since going to downtown hotel clubs/bars wasn't an option outside of the designated segregated locations).

This neighborhood has larger ranches & MCMs like the examples common to the Moores Mill/W Paces Ferry area before they started to get torn down to build bigger mansions (although you can still find some examples of the older homes in those neighborhoods).

Even though I don't really care for most MCM architecture, some of my favorite homes I've seen in Collier Heights have Japanese inspired interiors & courtyards, with sliding doors & lots of woodwork (I believe MLK Sr's house had an interior stone-lined stream and a sunken den). There's also a bizarre split level home I've seen that has its 1st & 2nd story shingle roof edges curled upward like a pagoda.

http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=6862

City of Atlanta, GA : Collier Heights

Some examples of unique homes in the area taken by another city data poster (I believe!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/469630...7624906076351/

It reminds me of how Druid Hills was a perfect "as is" set for Driving Miss Daisy... except this would be more of a set for the post Mad Men era.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Okay I live in a historic neighborhood. My house was built in 1920 totally gutted and renovated. Does Atlanta classify or designate certain neighborhoods as historic; to only draw money from resident who have to apply for useless permits to build anything on your property.

It seems like you must get a permit to even breath on your own property. Its ridiculous! Does the city really care about something being classified historic or simply drawing additional revenue from permits. Furthermore, something built in 1920 really is not that old and should be historic.
The national National Register of Historic Places list places that old as Historic. 1920 is almost a 100 years ago.

For instance your house is older than the Empire State Building and Golden Gate bridge which are Register as Historic. US population has more than triple since the 1920's. Most of America has been built after the 50's, 70's. Especially in the Sun Belt.

Cities, towns, counties, and states nominated places to be historic The national National Register of Historic Places has to approve. Places get rejected and when they do get approve it's for a reason. So it's not just the city "Atlanta" the federal Government "US" has to approve and co sign. It's not Atlanta definition of historic it's the national definitions of historic. Some places are just more historic than others.

It's relates to urban planing, architecture, industry, and cultural significance....

Atlanta wasn't big Antebellum like Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans. But it was a front runner in the "new south" Birmingham, Memphis and especially Atlanta are represented as the gilded age industrial era South. Smaller by parallel to The midwestern cities this why a lot of Atlanta by default is historic. A lot of Atlanta was plan out and design 1870 -1940.

Historically Atlanta was the most import rail center in the south. Unlike most cities that planed grids and wanted the railroad to run though them. Atlanta was birth itself accidentally because of the rail road. And later street car birth neighborhoods. The Belt line, is basically a railroad perimeter that's strange.

The West Inn started as a Street Car suburb in the 1870's,
Streetcars in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Federal Government
West End Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

All of Atlanta historic street car neighborhoods are Register as historic. So it's not just how long a building exist. But timing and formation Atlanta has historic Register yards. A lot of Atlanta neighborhoods were form with their own identity before annex by Atlanta. And have there own little story.

Cabbagetown, was form as a community for the workers in the factory. Ansley Park was one of earliest neignorhood for cars, The roads are like parkways that whine in circles. Druid Hills was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Grant Park holds the city oldest park. it's designed Olmsted Brothers. Iman Park is the first street Car Suburb and location for part the battle of Atlanta. Sweet Auburn African American history. Reynoldstown was found by ex slaves. Castleberry Hill was important relating to the railroad industry. Virginia-Highland and Atkins Park were part of the Nine-Mile Circle during the 1890's. and etc. Kirkwood was a street car suburb and it's own city, I haven't even touch on architecture yet.

Top 11 Historic Districts of Metro Atlanta outside Downtown | Georgia Globe Design News

Old 12-31-2014, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 10,637 times
Thanks very much, ChiAtlDal, for posting a link to my blog regarding Atlanta's historic districts.

Historic designation is sometimes controversial everywhere... New York, Savannah, Atlanta.

It is very difficult to see today what will be really appreciated or have cultural importance in the future.

The buildings Atlanta, and many other cities, razed in the 1950's and 60's were thought of as old-fashioned and out-of-style. Now, we are mad that the Terminal Station, Peachtree Arcade, Kimball House Hotel, DeGive Opera House were all demolished.

Even recently, a post-modern icon was demolished in Atlanta. Today we may not love all of the modern buildings of the 1960's or the post-modern buildings of the 80's, but one day people will be upset that they all were torn down-- or just the best of them.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
When we moved here, coming from New England, the concept of historic and "old" in Atlanta is a bit distorted, especially relative to places like New England.

My house in Massachusetts was built in the 1880s, and had been renovated, and wasn't really considered "old" or "historic." Many of the homes around town were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The truly historic towns and homes were built in the 17th and 18th centuries. A home built in the 1970s or later was considered a newer home.

When we bought our house here in the Atlanta area, I can remember the real estate agent mentioned showing us an "older" home, and when we got there, it looked new. My wife asked when it was built and was told 1991. She almost died laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta