Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times

Advertisements

Mall of Georgia will become the next Gwinnett Place when someone builds a larger mall 12 miles up 85. In other words, not gonna happen.

Town Center would be Cobb's version of Gwinnett Place had a mall the size of Mall of Georgia been built 12 miles up 75 toward Cartersville.

To make such statements about this or that being the next Gwinnett Place without looking at the circumstances is nothing more than hot air. Especially when the only current factor is the closing of one pricey department store. I'm sure someone else will fill the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM

29 posts, read 36,728 times
I have noticed a lot of stores still shutting down and it could be that consumers are not shopping like they use to. In Alpharetta/Roswell area I have seen so many stores and restaurants open and not even 90 days later they have closed down. They have opened up a Nordstroms Rack on Northpoint Pkwy.

At North Point Mall there is a Von Maur department store (comparable to Nordstroms) that doesn't appear to stay busy at all since they have opened.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativmind View Post
I have noticed a lot of stores still shutting down and it could be that consumers are not shopping like they use to. In Alpharetta/Roswell area I have seen so many stores and restaurants open and not even 90 days later they have closed down. They have opened up a Nordstroms Rack on Northpoint Pkwy.

At North Point Mall there is a Von Maur department store (comparable to Nordstroms) that doesn't appear to stay busy at all since they have opened.
There is Von Maur at Perimeter Mall and I was very disappointed when it opened. The store looked very dated (as in 20 years behind).

Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 AM

226 posts, read 275,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativmind View Post

Yeah it makes me sad to see a new store open and then close down so soon after. folks just don't have the money these days to support. only thing that stays open these days are cvs and walmarts.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,446 times
That Nordstrom had horrible selections I'm surprised it didn't close sooner

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times
Even in a wealthy metro like Atlanta, there are only so many rich people who can sustain high dollar retailers like this. There are 4 Nordstrom stores in Illinois, all in Chicago. Some of Illinois' stores are helped along by Wisconsin and Indiana residents. Georgia did have 3, all in Atlanta. I guess they hoped South Carolina residents would help sustain it. Looks like that didn't happen.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Yet Lenox, Phipps, and Perimeter are doing well.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
Tomorrow's News Today - Atlanta: Nordstrom Closing Mall of Georgia Location

Really, y'all? Everyone here is always full of gloom and doom for the suburbs.

That Nordstrom has never done well, so this isn't exactly surprising. The MOG is still doing quite well with many new retail and restaurant openings this year. Yes, Brandsmart is closing, but so are many others. The company ain't doing so well.

Apparently Nordstrom has found a replacement for their lease, and is reportedly going to be another Von Maur, which is yet anther upmarket department store. Please evereyone go on more how everyone is moving in town and tumbleweeds are soon to take over anything outside 285.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Tomorrow's News Today - Atlanta: Nordstrom Closing Mall of Georgia Location

Really, y'all? Everyone here is always full of gloom and doom for the suburbs.

That Nordstrom has never done well, so this isn't exactly surprising. The MOG is still doing quite well with many new retail and restaurant openings this year. Yes, Brandsmart is closing, but so are many others. The company ain't doing so well.

Apparently Nordstrom has found a replacement for their lease, and is reportedly going to be another Von Maur, which is yet anther upmarket department store. Please evereyone go on more how everyone is moving in town and tumbleweeds are soon to take over anything outside 285.
LOL!
Agreed... The suburbs are still where the majority of growth is taking place. SOME people are returning to the cities and helping them boom again, but they are only a portion of metro area growth in the U.S. ARC reports Atlanta's population for 2014 at 428,000, lower than 2013's census estimate. ARC's figures have proven almost exactly right for the past few census counts. If ARC's figures prove right, and I'll bet they will, Forsyth County adds more than twice the people of the city. Not counting the other counties. Atlanta metro grew by 70,000 in 2013. About 4,000 at most was in the city. Most metro growth is still in the burbs.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:27 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Mall of Georgia will become the next Gwinnett Place when someone builds a larger mall 12 miles up 85. In other words, not gonna happen.

Town Center would be Cobb's version of Gwinnett Place had a mall the size of Mall of Georgia been built 12 miles up 75 toward Cartersville.

To make such statements about this or that being the next Gwinnett Place without looking at the circumstances is nothing more than hot air. Especially when the only current factor is the closing of one pricey department store. I'm sure someone else will fill the spot.
So True. I grew up on LI (prototype suburia). Here's the real issue. Generally speaking, the back of the Mall Anchor Chain retailer is Sears or perhaps JCPenny. Not Nordstrom or Macys, or Bloomberg. Why? Sears and JCPenny Catalog depts. Mercahndise pickup (i.e. lawn mowers - Sears). why do you think Dicks is on the same end as Nordstrom. Dicks and Nortstrom dont seem to go together.

Nordstrom are always in the front. Location, Location, Location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta