Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm gonna pay. I think I will really really really appreciate the option. So much waiting, who has time for that?.

15+ mins for the shuttle to pick up from North Ave. 35 minutes for a pickup back to North Ave, in the rain. MARTA was totally on point BTW.

PCM loves to push alternative transportation and their shuttle, but I'm not going to sit around and wait 30 minutes for a bus! I'm kinda upset because I was excited about the idea to rely heavily on transit. I will still enjoy the option occasionally using my bike, but as far as preferences go, strong nod to the car.
Do they only have 1 shuttle bus? That section of Ponce is also served by 2 MARTA bus routes; 2 and 102.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:22 AM

49 posts, read 75,291 times
^ Those buses are very poorly timed, to be honest. When they split the routes, they scheduled a bunch of the runs at the same time, and it's not really a great option for a lot of people...

Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboy826 View Post
^ Those buses are very poorly timed, to be honest. When they split the routes, they scheduled a bunch of the runs at the same time, and it's not really a great option for a lot of people...
I have not had an issue, so I was unaware of the timing, but the MARTA app allows users to see the live location of the bus and if the bus icon is selected it will show how far behind schedule it is.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do they only have 1 shuttle bus? That section of Ponce is also served by 2 MARTA bus routes; 2 and 102.
They have two! I don't get it.

I guess my point is that Jamestown is slipping here. Working professionals are not going to wait like that, they are going to take their car. Apparently, they are building one less parking deck there than planned so they are strongly encouraging biking and MARTA, which is great! Its a great candidate for alternate transportation! But I have to make a 6 month commitment very soon to either park or take the shuttle, and they just sold me on parking! Great job guys...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 AM

687 posts, read 745,008 times
The 2 and 102 bus timings are so stupid, they arrive within 5 minutes of each other in the morning rush towards North Ave and then nothing for 35 minutes.

The App is great but it doesn't make up for the fact that there are a massive gaps between buses that doesn't allow you the flexibility of leaving when you want.

The 102 could be easily re-timed as it runs a relatively short route from Candler Park Station and doesn't hit that much traffic.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm gonna pay. I think I will really really really appreciate the option. So much waiting, who has time for that?.

15+ mins for the shuttle to pick up from North Ave. 35 minutes for a pickup back to North Ave, in the rain. MARTA was totally on point BTW.

PCM loves to push alternative transportation and their shuttle, but I'm not going to sit around and wait 30 minutes for a bus! I'm kinda upset because I was excited about the idea to rely heavily on transit. I will still enjoy the option occasionally using my bike, but as far as preferences go, strong nod to the car.
Just out of curiosity, did you talk to the PCM management about it to ask them if that was normal? Doesn't seem like it would be.

At any rate, only $50 a month for parking? What a deal; I paid $100 a month 10 years ago at my apartment in Baltimore, where parking wasn't nearly as much of a concern.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
The 2 and 102 bus timings are so stupid, they arrive within 5 minutes of each other in the morning rush towards North Ave and then nothing for 35 minutes.

The App is great but it doesn't make up for the fact that there are a massive gaps between buses that doesn't allow you the flexibility of leaving when you want.

The 102 could be easily re-timed as it runs a relatively short route from Candler Park Station and doesn't hit that much traffic.
Not that much traffic? It gets caught in the traffic along Moreland, thru L5P, and North Highland Ave.
I have often wondered if one route could be switched to run along North Ave, in bus/bike-only lanes.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 AM

687 posts, read 745,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not that much traffic? It gets caught in the traffic along Moreland, thru L5P, and North Highland Ave.
I have often wondered if one route could be switched to run along North Ave, in bus/bike-only lanes.
OK despite getting caught in traffic the timetable obviously allows for it as it always arrives at its scheduled time (within 5 minutes) at the junction of Ponce and Glen Iris.

Sooooo there is no reason why they couldn't push back the depart times from Candler Park by 15 minutes and then that would allow the part of the journey where it shares route with the 2 bus to have every 15 minute frequency during the morning rush....its really not rocket science.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
OK despite getting caught in traffic the timetable obviously allows for it as it always arrives at its scheduled time (within 5 minutes) at the junction of Ponce and Glen Iris.

Sooooo there is no reason why they couldn't push back the depart times from Candler Park by 15 minutes and then that would allow the part of the journey where it shares route with the 2 bus to have every 15 minute frequency during the morning rush....its really not rocket science.
Unless they are trying to time the buses up with trains at the stations?
There are people a lot smarter than us working at MARTA and whom ever they may contract to, that coordinates the routes.
Why doesn't PCM do a better job controlling their 2 shuttle buses?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you talk to the PCM management about it to ask them if that was normal? Doesn't seem like it would be.

At any rate, only $50 a month for parking? What a deal; I paid $100 a month 10 years ago at my apartment in Baltimore, where parking wasn't nearly as much of a concern.
I believe there was a facilities manger there hanging out with us after awhile. It probably isn't normal, but even a 15 minute wait sucks. If they had an app to track where it is at, that would make it a lot better of an option.

Yeah, $50 ain't bad. I was actually wanting to use MARTA instead of drive. But not if I have to wait around like that. Considering usage is probably about to jump quite a bit and the guy yesterday said they MAY get a third bus, I will wait and see if they work the kinks out 6 months down the road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: