Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times

Advertisements

All the hatred towards cyclists here is crazy to me. I bike commute everyday and I follow all of the laws that cars do. I see a lot of other cyclists following the laws, but I also see many others who don't (which I hate - it gives us all a bad rep, as seen in this thread). That said, on my commute every morning and afternoon, I see plenty of cars following the laws, while I see others speeding up to make it through red lights, blowing stop signs, and going well over the posted speed limit. It goes both ways, not everybody is always going to follow the law, whether they be in a car, on a bike, or walking. But either way, we all have to respect each other regardless of if you think bikes should be on the road or not, because according to GA law, they are allowed, and REQUIRED, to be on the road. That said, I do wish cops would also buckle down on cyclists who don't follow the law, like they do with cars. I've seen a couple cyclists ticketed for no lights on the bike at night, but never for blowing through any red lights and such. That would help us come a long way in everybody following the laws of the road if there were consequences for not doing so.

We do live in a city. Please remember that. There are a lot of people in the city, and it is dense enough in places, and becoming dense enough in others, that it is much more feasible to bike commute that it does to drive. Bikers take cars off the road. If you don't like having to slow down to go around a biker, all 5 seconds that it takes to do so, then take an alternate route that doesn't have as many bikers on it. The world changes, and change is hard. Atlanta is rapidly becoming less car centric - it's time to start adapting to that, or move to a city/suburb/town that is more fitting to your needs if it stresses you out that much. Personally, biking relieves my stress - maybe you should give it a try if sitting in your car to get home stresses you out that much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have rarely encountered a cyclist who believes they should behave like cars and follow the traffic laws. They breed the contempt they receive.
Are you saving all drivers follow the law? Like CCATL, I have seen fellow cyclists not follow the law. I usually confront them about it because it makes me and others look bad. Bike Commuters are a small enough group that experienced riders can make a difference by educating cyclists who do not know or don't care.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It would also be safe if no one drove cars, and everyone walked. What's your point? If drivers treat cyclist as slow moving vehicles, everyone would be safer. Cyclists have every right to take the whole lane if they feel it is the safest option.
Additional Laws Pertaining To Bicycles and Bicycling in Georgia | Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety
The point is that cyclists on the road do more harm than good. Sure it takes a car off the road, but it also causes additional traffic and makes things more unsafe for the cyclist and other drivers.

Also, just because it is a right, it doesn't make it a good idea. I can do a lot of crazy-ass stuff legally, but that doesn't make it safe or smart.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
The point is that cyclists on the road do more harm than good. Sure it takes a car off the road, but it also causes additional traffic and makes things more unsafe for the cyclist and other drivers.

Also, just because it is a right, it doesn't make it a good idea. I can do a lot of crazy-ass stuff legally, but that doesn't make it safe or smart.
I don't see how cyclists back up traffic. I commute everyday, and have never once seen a line of cars stuck behind me. In every situation where a car may be behind me, there is either another full lane that they have and are able to pass, or in the instance of a 1 lane in each direction road, I am off to the side and they also have plenty of room to pass. Sure, it might slow you down for a few seconds while you wait for a clear road to pass, but my presence has definitely never slowed or resulted in any kind of traffic jam. It's not like we live in the mountains where you there are curvy roads and you have to wait to pass until you have a line of sight. In the parts of the city I bike in, mostly the eastside neighborhoods, midtown, and downtown, there is a grid pattern that allows for clear site lines and the ability to pass. So again, I don't see your opinion has valid. If I was a slow driver, I'd be causing way more traffic than on a bike, as other cars wouldn't have the ability to pass me.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have rarely encountered a cyclist who believes they should behave like cars and follow the traffic laws. They breed the contempt they receive.
That hasn't been my experience with bike commuters at all. I think the problem is that when you're driving a car, minor inconveniences, like having to slow down for five seconds to pass a bike, seem a lot worse than they are. Personally I would like to live in a city with more bike commuters. I do fear for the safety of the few I see on DeKalb Ave during rush hour, though.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

How does a 20 lbs bike make it unsafe for 2000 lbs cars?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How does a 20 lbs bike make it unsafe for 2000 lbs cars?
Are you seriously asking that question?

You don't think having a bike in a lane of traffic creates problems for drivers? You don't think it slows things down which creates a need for drivers to pass these 10 mph bikes? Do you think this makes things more safe or less safe when you queue up a line of cars to try to pass a bike? This isn't a hard concept to understand and I'm frankly shocked that you need that explained to you... well maybe not that shocked.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I'm all for protecting cyclists and encouraging bike riding.

But I don't get the idea of spending 15% of the bond issue on bicycling infrastructure. These folks still make up 1% or less of commuters.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Given that the bond is suppose to be for the $1 billion infrastructure backlog (not new projects) I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But I don't get the idea of spending 15% of the bond issue on bicycling infrastructure. These folks still make up 1% or less of commuters.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Hope for the sake of your co-workers you have a shower available there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: