Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Don't think bike commuting is getting bigger in Atlanta, go to Edgewood and Krog street. I rode home from arts center via Piedmont park and eastside trail. I saw so many commuters. Drivers who use heavy bike corridors know how to interact with bikes, why can't others learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Bikes are great and cyclists ought to be respected but it's ridiculous to spend 15% of our entire infrastructure bond on bike lanes that serve 1% of commuters.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bikes are great and cyclists ought to be respected but it's ridiculous to spend 15% of our entire infrastructure bond on bike lanes that serve 1% of commuters.
Think of it as "backed pay" since spending has been basically "0" for bikes for decades. Only having about 60 miles of bike lanes in the city shows how under funded it is. Also many US and World cities that properly fund bikes have usage rates above 15%.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:58 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What I see are bikers riding between cars at stops, riding through red lights instead of waiting for green lights, driving between cars and the curb, etc.
But non of these really affect a car driver...

Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Cars have momentum, they aren't suddenly going to go from occupying one vehicle-width to occupying two or three. But if a bicyclist isn't paying attention, or suddenly weaves, they're instantly occupying 6 feet worth of roadway when they were previously occupying about 2 or less. That's my main irritation with some of the disregard for cars I see by bicyclists. They dart around and weave back and forth, almost trying to get hit. Then on places with a perfectly good trail or lane literally right next to them, they decide to take the road further endangering themselves and causing havoc for everyone else.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
And it would be safer for everyone if tractors and cyclists weren't on the road. To argue otherwise is asinine.
you just can't fcking win with this guy. spend money on separated infrastructure so people can bike? NO! share existing infrastructure with people who might not want to drive for everything? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

YOU LIVE IN ATLANTA AND YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE, DEAL WITH IT SUCKER.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:50 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,914 times
they need a driver re-education program.

ive seen marta buss honk at bike riders who are legally driving in a lane.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
you just can't fcking win with this guy. spend money on separated infrastructure so people can bike? NO! share existing infrastructure with people who might not want to drive for everything? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

YOU LIVE IN ATLANTA AND YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE, DEAL WITH IT SUCKER.
Good Lord. That is so far from a coherent thought, I can't even understand what you are trying to say.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM

37 posts, read 76,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Honestly, riding between cars and running re lights are examples of bad behavior, but funneling by stopped cars on the right side of the road is not bad. If there is room, I do it. No reason for my 20 lbs bike to be stuck in traffic when I am small enough to SAFELY pass on the right.
But then the cars who have already struggled to pass you once now have to do it again because you've jumped ahead at a light.

In light traffic, not a big deal, but during rush hour this isn't fair. I shouldn't be stuck behind a slow moving bicyclist over and over again because they decide to illegally jump traffic at every light.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Gtcorndog makes people angry more than I do these days. Touche'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: