Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,342 times

Advertisements

Ok Ive had enough of freezing my tookas off here in Vermont! I put in for a job at the VA in Decatur, we are a family of five looking to relocate. We know absolutly nothing about GA, we would prefer a smaller town rather than the big city (after all we are from VT!) We would be looking to rent a 3bdrm house, any advice pro's/con's would be extremley helpful, thanks!

Vermont popsicle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Don't expect the sunny south all year round. It's about 47 outside right now with a decent breeze. We frequently have days in the 30s with a handful of days not reaching above freezing. We may not have piles of snow on the ground all year long, but around here a difference of two degrees means the difference between winter wonderland and wet washout.

If you're working at the VA near Decatur, don't expect much of a small-town anywhere within reasonable commute distance. The closest would probably be Conyers, but it's not a good commute to there.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Decatur itself has a small town feel within the big city. Check out Decatur proper. The only thing is your budget. It can get expensive.

Also, heat is overrated. Once you thaw out, you'll start to boil. LOL

Matt made interesting points about the weather, but if you're from Vermont, you won't mind the cold here. Yeah, it gets cold, but you can handle the cold for a few months out of the year versus 5-6 months up there. You already knew this.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Our current weather is an anomaly. It will be up around 70 by the middle of the week, which suits me fine.

OP, I've spent quite a bit of time in VT, in the Peru area. You won't find anything like that easily commutable to Decatur, so you need to figure out what aspects are most important to you. Start with the sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenn48 View Post
Ok Ive had enough of freezing my tookas off here in Vermont! I put in for a job at the VA in Decatur, we are a family of five looking to relocate. We know absolutly nothing about GA, we would prefer a smaller town rather than the big city (after all we are from VT!) We would be looking to rent a 3bdrm house, any advice pro's/con's would be extremley helpful, thanks!

Vermont popsicle...
atlanta is definitely warmer than vermont, but not by a ton. for example, here are the next week's weather forecasts in NYC vs. atlanta:

so if you've ever been to NYC, expect about 5-10° hotter on average, and a bit more humid. it's warmer, but it's not florida.

as for small towns, around atlanta, you've basically got two choices: urban or suburban. there aren't really any "small towns" besides the historic downtown areas of the suburbs. if you're looking for the small town appeal, i would recommend looking at those downtown areas.

if you are working at the VA in decatur, which i think is on clairmont road, i would look at downtown decatur as your best option. if you can't do that, honestly look for about anywhere in a 2 mile radius of the VA, it's all quite nice.
Attached Thumbnails
no more brrr!-forecast.png  

Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
atlanta is definitely warmer than vermont, but not by a ton. for example, here are the next week's weather forecasts in NYC vs. atlanta:
Not a good comparison. Vermont is noticeably cooler than NYC.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I dont expect to escape old man winter for good, just dont want to run my pellet stove starting Sept like I am now haha!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Not a good comparison. Vermont is noticeably cooler than NYC.
i guess i didn't communicate that through the post very well. my point was that coming to atlanta, weather-wise, is more like coming to NYC or washington, rather than florida or texas. i wasn't trying to compare vermont and NYC.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Allow me to respond to this thread...

Quote:
hi, being from VT, i imagine you are open-minded, liberal and tolerant. why ATL? you do realize this is the heart of tea party country, the bible belt and rap music capital. if you want to stay on the east coast why not dc/baltimore. please reply
First I am not a Vermonter, I am a new Englander who just ended up in VT for a few years. I am not liberal, Im very conservative, a Military Vet, I love my guns & my family. You couldnt pay me to live in DC or Maryland! I spent several years in the Carolinas & enjoyed it immensly but alas the jobs I seek are not there.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i guess i didn't communicate that through the post very well. my point was that coming to atlanta, weather-wise, is more like coming to NYC or washington, rather than florida or texas. i wasn't trying to compare vermont and NYC.
Ah! I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta