Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM

159 posts, read 199,154 times

Advertisements

I have small children who are very polite by the standards of our current location (always using please, thank you, etc.). We don't live in an area with widespread use of sir and m'am. Will my kids be seen as rude if they don't use sir and m'am when speaking with adults? Is teaching them use of sir/m'am something I need to add to my task list before we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM

2,239 posts, read 5,821,003 times
I wouldn't say that every child does it by any means, but it is considered polite by most people here. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,370,553 times
They should naturally pick it up once they move here. They may be referred to as sir and ma'am themselves. The bigger issue I think is people who move to the South and are taken aback by being called sir and ma'am. (To me that's actually ruder. lol)

Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,548,100 times
Our children and grandchildren will always be raised to use sir, ma'am, please and thank you. They will also be taught to offer their seats to expectant women and the elderly and to remove their hats indoors.

If that is too "Southern" -- and I don't believe it is -- I will gladly own it. That's basic civility and good manners, both of which are in short supply in this world.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 274,665 times
I grew up saying sir and ma'am. It's a good habit that will serve them well when it's time for social functions and job interviews.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,279,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Our children and grandchildren will always be raised to use sir, ma'am, please and thank you. They will also be taught to offer their seats to expectant women and the elderly and to remove their hats indoors.

If that is too "Southern" -- and I don't believe it is -- I will gladly own it. That's basic civility and good manners, both of which are in short supply in this world.
Amen.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,610,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Yep. Us too.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,302,776 times
It depends on the person. I had a teacher flip out on you if you didn't say, "Yes, ma'am" or "No, ma'am". This was hard for me because I had just moved to ATL from NY and I was always taught that "ma'am" is an insult to a woman (her age). I was told to use "miss".

I've gotten used to the southern tradition.

Again, it depends on who they're talking to. If it's some Baby Boomer that has grown up in the south all of her life, she would probably say that your ids are rude.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,547,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
I grew up saying sir and ma'am. It's a good habit that will serve them well when it's time for social functions and job interviews.
As someone who didn't grow up having to say sir and ma'am, there have been times that it might have served me well to have acquired the habit once I did move down here after college. That's not to say that not saying it has ever been a hindrance. But, when I did make a point to use it, it sounded un-natural and almost forced, which doesn't go very far when you are trying to ingratiate yourself to co-workers and supervisors at a new job amongst locals whose use of sir and ma'am is essentially automatic, and you're a wet-behind-the-ears 23 year-old yankee college graduate trying not to stick out in a culture you didn't grow up in. Now that I'm in a position where I am supervisor to others, having "sir" directed at me ain't so bad.

Point being that I do wish it was a bit more habitual to me for the reasons HaMez cites above.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,836,731 times
We moved from the northeast with one child in middle school, and the other just starting high school. As has been said, they picked up the sir and ma'am very quickly. Teachers and coaches seem to expect it.

I don't however, think using Mr or Mrs Last Name is any less polite, in fact, I find it a little more personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta