Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times

Advertisements

Have been looking at properties up in the Riverside, Bolton, Whittier Mill Village area for a couple of months now. The area is interesting, has a lot of potential, and already seems fairly nice. The future looks good for the area with the Publix, potential new parks on the Hooch, and the somewhat nearby Jamestown developed property. But I do have a couple of concerns.

All three neighborhoods are surrounded by undesirable infrastructure and industries. Bordered by RR Tracks, Oil storage tanks, a power plant, and waste treatment plants really raise some eyebrows. When you are in most areas of these neighborhoods, you would never know, but some streets have a lovely view of the cooling towers for Plant Atkinson. I wonder how safe this is and what impact emissions would have. I know smells can be bad, especially in the Bolton area.

Another concern is the school districts. Not an issue now, but in the future and for resale, the fact that this area feeds into Buckhead schools is a big attraction. What is the likelihood that these districts would be re-drawn?

Just curious to see if anyone in the C-D fam has any experience with the area. Also, if anyone knows an agent that is very involved in that area, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 01:35 PM

225 posts, read 278,161 times
This part of town is going change dramatically over the next few years. There are two major developments along Marietta Blvd that are likely going to transform the area -- the Publix at Moores Mills, and The Quarter - Upper West Side. There are also housing developments (Westside Station; Riverside Park) and new restaurants slated to open over the next year (Fox Bros.; Marcos Pizza).

Now for the undesirable industry nearby. The only two nuisances that are noticeable from nearby industry are the noise from the rail yard, and smells from the wastewater treatment plant. However, both are intermittent and not bad, depending on where you are/live.

From a distance, the noises that come from the rail yard consist of booms from rail cars coupling/colliding, as well as high pitched noise from the wet metal-on-metal friction during humid/wet days. From a few hundred yards, the noises are not bad at all.

As for the wastewater treatment plant, the smells are non-existent on most days. The plant is designed to be an odor containment facility, meaning that any process there that emits a strong smell is enclosed. However, there have been periods where the containment systems have failed, and unpleasant odors do infiltrate the neighborhood. However, even at its worst, it's not that bad. Having grown up in a farming community, I have smelled worse when the manure was laid on the fields. In summary, the smells do escape from time to time, but they are bearable. As of now, there are no noticeable smells coming out of the plant.

The other industry west of the neighborhood (power plant, etc.) does not really have much of an effect on the quality of living in Bolton/Riverside, in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM

225 posts, read 278,161 times
As for your question regarding the redrawing of school lines -- Bolton Academy is firmly in the North Atlanta High cluster, by all indications. The only thing that might change in the future is which middle school Bolton will feed into. Right now Bolton feeds into Sutton Middle School. There has been talk in the past of building a second middle school in the North Atlanta cluster. Not sure that will ever come to fruition, but that is the only change I could foresee. North Atlanta High is massive, and can accommodate a fair amount of growth. The neighborhoods surrounding Bolton Academy will not let it get removed from the North Atlanta cluster.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 PM

Wow, thanks for the great info space cadet! Have you heard any recent news concerning development of any parks along the river? I remember some articles about the land near the incinerator being turned into a park. Not sure if that was just a proposal or actual plans.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 AM

371 posts, read 457,032 times
I figured I'd revive this thread rather than create a new/similar one. I moving to a short-term rental home in Riverside and plan to purchase in the neighborhood. I really like the area, schools, and parks.
I'm concerned about ground/water/air pollution from the nearby industry. I've tried to research this online but haven't found much. I'm wondering if anyone in the area-- especially families with kids-- could chime in. I don't mind the industrial sounds or sights, just need to know whether or not I'll have to write Erin Brockovich.

Other than that I'm exciting to finally be moving to CoA. I've been trying for the last few years but have been delayed by personal & family issues. West End was my top choice but I'm essentially priced out, plus it's far from work.

Regarding Riverwalk Atlanta/Riverside Park/Chattahoochee Brick site, I believe the Lincoln Terminal sale went through. Would definitely love to hear any updates on that situation.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,606 times
Some pollution info of the general area, probably not much help

Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM

371 posts, read 457,032 times
Thanks for finding this information. I definitely have my concerns, as this part of the 'hooch isn't known to be the cleanest. I recently discovered the West Atlanta Watershed Alliance, and they seem really dedicated! Hope to volunteer with this organization. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work huggin' trees and cleanin' streams.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Have been looking at properties up in the Riverside, Bolton, Whittier Mill Village area for a couple of months now. The area is interesting, has a lot of potential, and already seems fairly nice. The future looks good for the area with the Publix, potential new parks on the Hooch, and the somewhat nearby Jamestown developed property. But I do have a couple of concerns.

All three neighborhoods are surrounded by undesirable infrastructure and industries. Bordered by RR Tracks, Oil storage tanks, a power plant, and waste treatment plants really raise some eyebrows. When you are in most areas of these neighborhoods, you would never know, but some streets have a lovely view of the cooling towers for Plant Atkinson. I wonder how safe this is and what impact emissions would have. I know smells can be bad, especially in the Bolton area.

Another concern is the school districts. Not an issue now, but in the future and for resale, the fact that this area feeds into Buckhead schools is a big attraction. What is the likelihood that these districts would be re-drawn?

Just curious to see if anyone in the C-D fam has any experience with the area. Also, if anyone knows an agent that is very involved in that area, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Whittier Mill Village is pretty cool if you want an older neighborhood with some history.

Cobb NIMBYs killed that Jamestown project with concerns about "too much density". That is too bad, it would have been a great project.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/3/27/...-chattahoochee

So still a bit to disconnected and car dependent of an area for me with no major signs of improvement on the horizon now.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 PM

I really like Whittier Mill, but there's just not much available there. It's so small. It isn't walkable other than the park. Also the large fuel storage tanks right next to some houses aren't so pleasant. I think you would have to get lucky to get a place there (at least when I was looking awhile ago)

Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 10,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

I live nearby--we own our home in Hills Park, near the Dupont Commons subdivision. We love the area. It is very safe, very friendly neighbors, and has a unique feel to it. Despite some gentrification, the area remains pretty diverse. You'll see a variety of family types, age groups, and racial groups while shopping, walking, dining out in the area, etc.

Yes, the industrial plants are there, but one would hope they comply with EPA standards for safety, especially with the proximity to residential (should the EPA survive the current administration). I haven't found the air or water here in Hills Park to be significantly different from air or water 10 miles away. And these are not really chemical plants (water treatment, waste management, railyard, & chicken processing plant are the ones I'm familiar with). I also think the warehouses give this cluster of neighborhoods a unique personality, look and feel. But if you're looking for something more suburban, might want to look closer toward the Smyrna/Vinings area.

The railyard noise is annoying at first, but after a while, you naturally tune it out. I live maybe 500 feet away, and I only notice the big bangs which are not daily or frequent occurrences. One issue I have is traffic - the main roads used to get back to these neighborhoods from I-75 (Howell Mill Rd, Chattahoochee Ave, Collier Rd, Bolton Rd, Moores Mill) all get crazy clogged during rush hour. I work 10 minutes away off of Paces Ferry Rd, but some days it takes nearly an hour. Hopefully this will change when the Moores Mill road extension is completed, along with some of the other changes they're making.

I can't speak to re-drawing of school district lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta