Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times

Advertisements

I sort of saw this coming actually, but the Megabus stop in Atlanta is over crowded with both vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic: Neighbors: Megabus popularity adds to Downtown Atlanta traffic | www.wsbtv.com

I'm interested to know what the proposal with MARTA is. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it will be to move to a station with excess bus capacity, like Lenox, but that means a move out of the core. I wish we had the MMPT up and going, then they could use that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
Easy fix. Add additional stops at Arts Center North Ave or at 5 Points. Split the traffic up because they bring additional revenue to Marta

By the way I wish the news would report real news instead of these bs stories like the man in Dekalb County who was going home to sleep during work hours and the people driving without a license.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:46 PM

186 posts, read 349,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Easy fix. Add additional stops at Arts Center North Ave or at 5 Points. Split the traffic up because they bring additional revenue to Marta

By the way I wish the news would report real news instead of these bs stories like the man in Dekalb County who was going home to sleep during work hours and the people driving without a license.
As I was watching the news story this evening. I kept saying we need a MMPT in this city for just this reason. But I like your idea as well. Maybe for Megabus routes going North and East the civic center could be the station and for routes going South and West, Megabus can pick up at Lakewood which has plenty of space for extra buses. MARTA could charge low stall rates to use the stalls at Lakewood.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
As I was watching the news story this evening. I kept saying we need a MMPT in this city for just this reason. But I like your idea as well. Maybe for Megabus routes going North and East the civic center could be the station and for routes going South and West, Megabus can pick up at Lakewood which has plenty of space for extra buses. MARTA could charge low stall rates to use the stalls at Lakewood.
Lakewood is too far. The stop needs to be in the city. Arts Center is perfect because it is not much traffic at that stop

Last edited by afdinatl; 11-10-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 PM

165 posts, read 169,823 times
Seeing this story on Channel 2 an hour ago made me think of the MMPT as well.

Instead of there being one big Mega Bus port, why not have all the buses stationed at the MARTA train termini? Have the western routes stop at HE Holmes, the eastern routes at Indian Creek, the north/northeastern routes at Dunwoody/Doraville, the southern routes at East Point/College Park, and the northwestern routes at Arts Center/Cumberland.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Why are they picking on Megabus? There are plenty of other businesses that crowd streets daily. Report some real news next time WSBTV. Do some real stories that people want to hear about like will Cobb and Gwinnett ever join Marta? Has reconstruction started on the Doraville GM site? Should thr Falcons coach be fired? Etc . Now these are real stories that people want to read about.

BTW they need to stay at one location for people transferring buses

Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 AM

217 posts, read 408,928 times
How about those bus bays at the south end of Lindbergh Station? I think only one or two commuter buses per day use them. The station is just a block or two, depending on the way you go, from 75/85. The bus bays are sheltered and there are stores and restaurants around, which are two things that the current stop lacks.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
Megabus likely doesn't want to be part of a MMPT. Their entire business model is based on low overhead and avoiding paying rent for things like this. I'm pretty sure that in order for a private company to use facilities like the MMPT, some sort of rent will be charged. This goes against everything Megabus tries to do.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
How about those bus bays at the south end of Lindbergh Station? I think only one or two commuter buses per day use them. The station is just a block or two, depending on the way you go, from 75/85. The bus bays are sheltered and there are stores and restaurants around, which are two things that the current stop lacks.
Megabus does not want to pay to use them, some how they think they are entitled to park on the side of a two lane street in Downtown, next to a MARTA station with 8 street parks, operating 30 buses a day. Since I use the Civic Center daily, I would guess half of their customers arrive and depart by car.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I sort of saw this coming actually, but the Megabus stop in Atlanta is over crowded with both vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic: Neighbors: Megabus popularity adds to Downtown Atlanta traffic | www.wsbtv.com

I'm interested to know what the proposal with MARTA is. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it will be to move to a station with excess bus capacity, like Lenox, but that means a move out of the core. I wish we had the MMPT up and going, then they could use that.
I say Garnett Station, there is an empty lot behind the Marta, Plus Greyhound can see HOW its done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta