Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:48 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
i dont think it will shut down the city (hopefully our government has learned!) the way it did last year... but i am pretty sure the school board will be overly cautious and cancel school on some days when snow does fall.
Oh, it will shut the city down again since there is no way the State has purchased all of the equipment necessary to clear all the roads in the metro. That's a pretty huge expenditure that I wouldn't even expect them to meet just 10 months after the last storm.

That's ok though. As we saw with the second storm earlier this year, everyone stayed off the roads and either stayed home or used MARTA. There was no mass stranding of people and everything was back to normal after a couple of days.

While it is very rare for us to have these type of storms two years back in Atlanta, I would expect that everyone who was around for last years mess will have that burned in to their soul and stay home. LOL

Last edited by waronxmas; 11-17-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, it willequipmenthe city down again since there is no way the State has purchased all of the equipment necessary to clear all the roads in the metro. That's a pretty expenditure that I wouldn't even expect them to meet just 10 months after the last storm.

That's ok though. As we saw with the second storm earlier this year, everyone stayed off the roads and either stayed home or used MARTA. There was no mass stranding of people and everything was back to normal after a couple of days.

While it is very rare for us to have these type of storms two years back in Atlanta, I would expect that everyone who was around for last years mess with have burned in to their soul and stay home. LOL
I hope the state didn't purchase the equipment. I hope if they did that some thugs will steal it so i can be off more days if it snow

Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 PM

226 posts, read 275,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The comparison of Atlanta and New York weather makes sense. I have always compared Atlanta and DC as they are even MORE similar than the first two.

The Atlantic influences weather a bit more in those cities and the elevation and inland location influence our weather more.
Not true.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the whole east coast corridor from new york, philly, washington, charlotte, and atlanta all have remarkably similar weather patterns.
What? trust me from someone who lived in NJ/NY area and my sister from DC -- Atlanta is a LOT warmer overall that those places. Thats one of the advantages of living here. We Atlantans don't get Northeasters or blizzards like they do in DC and Philly, and NY and Boston. It stays a lot colder for more months and more intensity cold too up there. Rivers freeze over and snow stays on the ground more than one day.

Why would you even say this? Part of the reason move here is because we are the South and we are known for the warm climate.

I'm still wondering why we don't have Spanish Moss here in Atlanta yet. DO ya'll think with global warming we'll get it eventually?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnishaluvsdontae View Post
What? trust me from someone who lived in NJ/NY area and my sister from DC -- Atlanta is a LOT warmer overall that those places. Thats one of the advantages of living here. We Atlantans don't get Northeasters or blizzards like they do in DC and Philly, and NY and Boston. It stays a lot colder for more months and more intensity cold too up there. Rivers freeze over and snow stays on the ground more than one day.

Why would you even say this? Part of the reason move here is because we are the South and we are known for the warm climate.

I'm still wondering why we don't have Spanish Moss here in Atlanta yet. DO ya'll think with global warming we'll get it eventually?
look at the numbers, the temperatures are extremely close year round, and precipitation levels are nearly identical.

i think the illusion that atlanta is some type of tropical climate is both influenced by the archetypical cultural conception of "the south" as somewhere radically different than "the north", and the fact that atlanta is so car-centric. in new york, you walk everywhere, take the subway; you are outside a lot longer than you are here in atlanta. most people in atlanta drive everywhere, and spend very little time outside in the colder months, i think that it creates the illusion that atlanta is considerably warmer than new york.

here's this week's forecast, atlanta vs. new york. the cold front (the same one we are getting here) is going to hit new york a couple of days late, but check out the temperature differences; we're talking less than 10 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails
winter-forecast2.png  

Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
Quote:
look at the numbers, the temperatures are extremely close year round, and precipitation levels are nearly identical.

i think the illusion that atlanta is some type of tropical climate is both influenced by the archetypical cultural conception of "the south" as somewhere radically different than "the north", and the fact that atlanta is so car-centric. in new york, you walk everywhere, take the subway; you are outside a lot longer than you are here in atlanta. most people in atlanta drive everywhere, and spend very little time outside in the colder months, i think that it creates the illusion that atlanta is considerably warmer than new york.

here's this week's forecast, atlanta vs. new york. the cold front (the same one we are getting here) is going to hit new york a couple of days late, but check out the temperature differences; we're talking less than 10 degrees.
I agree with Tarnisha. The climates are very different, regardless of what this week's forecast says. Remember that the numbers you see in climate data are averages, not what it is going to be on a day to day basis. NYC's climate, and much of the northeast, is much more variable than ours in Atlanta. One day it'll be 20, the next 50, and on and on. They go weeks at a time at or below freezing in the winter, with the duration dependent upon their location near an urban heat island, the ocean, etc. Even so, their AVERAGE high might be 40, meaning that some years during that day they could have also hit 60. Those outliers for daily highs skew the averages in the respective direction.

Atlanta's climate does have swings, especially in the winter, but we very rarely have days on end below freezing. Our daily temperature averages are calculated from less variability, so if our average high is 60, we're generally around that temperature +/- a few degrees. This week is a bad example - we're approaching record low high temperatures, it's not something we see in November often, whereas in the northeast this is to be expected in November, even if the average high is 45. Whereas we might approach these afternoon temperatures in November once every 10 years, they will do it yearly in the northern coastal cities.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnishaluvsdontae View Post

I brought Spanish Moss from Savannah 3 years ago, and it's still alive in the trees that I put it in. So, it can survive! However, make that 10 years, and I'm not sure our climate can support it yet, especially through drought periods. But according to climate experts, we're expected to get much wetter on average, so maybe it can begin making it's way inland? Never say never! I've seen it up to just south of Macon, so it's not far away, but that's where the elevation also starts rising dramatically into the Piedmont.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

You cray cray. You telling me that NYC and Atlanta have these same climate? Trying comparing snowfall measurements year over year. HA!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I brought Spanish Moss from Savannah 3 years ago, and it's still alive in the trees that I put it in. So, it can survive! However, make that 10 years, and I'm not sure our climate can support it yet, especially through drought periods. But according to climate experts, we're expected to get much wetter on average, so maybe it can begin making it's way inland? Never say never! I've seen it up to just south of Macon, so it's not far away, but that's where the elevation also starts rising dramatically into the Piedmont.
Good to know! Thank you.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree with Tarnisha. The climates are very different, regardless of what this week's forecast says. Remember that the numbers you see in climate data are averages, not what it is going to be on a day to day basis. NYC's climate, and much of the northeast, is much more variable than ours in Atlanta. One day it'll be 20, the next 50, and on and on. They go weeks at a time at or below freezing in the winter, with the duration dependent upon their location near an urban heat island, the ocean, etc. Even so, their AVERAGE high might be 40, meaning that some years during that day they could have also hit 60. Those outliers for daily highs skew the averages in the respective direction.

Atlanta's climate does have swings, especially in the winter, but we very rarely have days on end below freezing. Our daily temperature averages are calculated from less variability, so if our average high is 60, we're generally around that temperature +/- a few degrees. This week is a bad example - we're approaching record low high temperatures, it's not something we see in November often, whereas in the northeast this is to be expected in November, even if the average high is 45. Whereas we might approach these afternoon temperatures in November once every 10 years, they will do it yearly in the northern coastal cities.
Again thank you for explaining it more scientific than I can. People here in Atlanta forum drive me CRAY CRAY! One thread Atlanta is the South, the next thread it's like NY, the next thread we don't like the density because it's like NY, the next thread we're a city in the woods, the next thread the best thing about this city are the strip clubs, the next thread its Lenox or Street of Bulkhead, blah blah blah. No wonder all these peeps from other cities laugh at us. Cuz y'all make us look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta