Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm just reacting to those who reflexively jump to the defense of Islam and equate it to Christianity, Judaism, Hindu, etc.
Unfortunately, it seems your ideological biases lead you to misinterpret and misunderstand the nature of the defense. One can defend the right of all people to practice their religion in this country without defending religious violence and extremism.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Unfortunately, it seems your ideological biases lead you to misinterpret and misunderstand the nature of the defense. One can defend the right of all people to practice their religion in this country without defending religious violence and extremism.
Well said. Not only can one, but it is a "real" patriot's imperative to do the former.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM

114 posts, read 112,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
It really can happen here. No different than if Pat Robertson and Westboro Baptist and any other of the extremist Christians suddenly took over our government.

Hell Eric Rudolph is a perfect example of a Christian Jihadist.
Terrible comparison. Lets at least compare apples to apples. For every 1 Eric Rudolph I can give you at least 1000 Islamic jihadists. And nevermind the fact that Eric Rudolph was operating under his own WARPED view of Christianity which in no way resembles the Christianity that is observed by billions of people. Where in the Christian faith does it call for the forced-conversion or killing of non-believers? Nowhere. The same cannot be said of Islam though. The fact of the matter is that millions of Islamic jihadists are operating per the core tenants of the Islamic faith - not some extreme tangent that is condemned by Islamic religious leaders. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but virtually all the world's terrorists are Muslim. Society needs to have a serious conversation about why that is.

But regardless of that fact, I still believe the Islamic center has a constitutional right to operate in Kennesaw. If the zoning conditions are met, then they can't be denied. And by the way, I'm a Kennesaw resident.

Last edited by fermie125; 12-16-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Terrible comparison. Lets at least compare apples to apples. For every 1 Eric Rudolph I can give you at least 1000 Islamic jihadists. And nevermind the fact that Eric Rudolph was operating under his own WARPED view of Christianity which in no way resembles the Christianity that is observed by billions of people. Where in the Christian faith does it call for the forced-conversion or killing of non-believers? Nowhere. The same cannot be said of Islam though. The fact of the matter is that Islamic jihadists are operating per the core tenants of the Islamic faith - not some extreme tangent that is condemned by Islamic religious leaders.

But regardless of that fact, I still believe the Islamic center has a constitutional right to operate in Kennesaw. If the zoning conditions are met, then they can't be denied. I recognize the rule of law, but I don't always have to like it. And by the way, I'm a Kennesaw resident.

Umm....https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...nomy%2013:6-10

Deuteronomy 13:6-10New International Version (NIV)
6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known,
7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other),
8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them.
9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people.
10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

oh wait - here's another one:

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

In any case the bolded first sentence makes my point. Eric Rudolph was operaintg under his own very warped view.

The only difference between his warped views and those of hardline Mullahs is lack of education among the followers, and basic resource scarcity - and a tribal culture.

Not saying it's right or should be excused, but understand where it comes from. Fat Happy People engaged in meaningful commerce rarely want to blow themselves up for God, of all things.

Root cause analysis is your friend.

on a sidenote - do you really think all of these Abrahamic texts are that markedly different from one another? They are not. They have the same ethos - the same rigorous belief systems, then same arcane laws and language.

The true difference between Judaism, Christianity and Islam, is the way it's practiced. And that practices differs from person to person, and sect to sect.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Umm....https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...nomy%2013:6-10

Deuteronomy 13:6-10New International Version (NIV)
[SIZE=2]6 [/SIZE]If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, [SIZE=2]7 [/SIZE]gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), [SIZE=2]8 [/SIZE]do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. [SIZE=2]9 [/SIZE]You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. [SIZE=2]10 [/SIZE]Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

In any case the bolded first sentence makes my point. Eric Rudolph was operaintg under his own very warped view.

The only difference between his warped views and those of hardline Mullahs is lack of education among the followers, and basic resource scarcity - and a tribal culture.

Not saying it's right or should be excused, but understand where it comes from. Fat Happy People engaged in meaningful commerce rarely want to blow themselves up for God, of all things.

And just like clockwork someone quotes the Old Testament to try to make a point. Let me ask you... Are modern Christians still selling their daughters to slavery? What about bloody sacrifices of sheep and ox on alters? Does modern Christianity hold fast to the barbaric traditions of the Old Testament? No it doesn't, and you know that. Can you say the same of Islam? Do you know anything about how Christ formed a new covenant with mankind? Do you know anything at all? Why are you wasting my time and yours?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
oh wait - here's another one:

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)
Using Deuteronomy to make a point about the modern customs/traditions of Christianity.... you hear that? That's the sound of your credibility crashing and burning. Keep em' coming. I've got my popcorn.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Using Deuteronomy to make a point about the modern customs/traditions of Christianity.... you hear that? That's the sound of your credibility crashing and burning. Keep em' coming. I've got my popcorn.
I will say, that Christianity has evolved because it's much older than Islam. There has been a reformation period in Islam yet. Christianity apparently has an update version, because the all knowing god, got the first book wrong. Hopefully Allah can send out a new prophet to update the Quran, before a drone strike kills he/she in the name of national security.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:36 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
A bit ironic when you think about the hysteria and opposition that the Left exhibits towards anything that upsets their narrow concept of the status quo. They weren't exactly open and accepting of the Tea Party movement, for example, were they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Yeah, I think this will ultimately be re-presented and overturned.

Many people I know in Kennesaw are embarrassed and disappointed by the council's decision and clear bigotry.

Kennesaw is almost 50% non-white. Many people are also not Christians.

Times are changing, whether the old guard likes it or not.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM

lol Either the bible is the bible in it's entirety or it's not.

I'm sure there is something in Deuteronomy about cherrypicking too.

I mean y'all are casting an entire religion constituting Millions upon millions of people, based on snippets of text in their book, but when you see that those snippets of text are also in your book, all of a sudden it's "but that part doesn't count...we're modern. we're different".

Whatever. let he who is without sin cast the first stone. in other words...probably better to not judge other people based on what "you've heard" . Cuz it sure ain't based on what you've read.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
UNot saying it's right or should be excused, but understand where it comes from. Fat Happy People engaged in meaningful commerce rarely want to blow themselves up for God, of all things.
Except for those upper middle class college graduates who perpetrated 9/11.

And except for that multi-millionaire who became leader of a savage, violent sect known as Al Qaeda.

Quote:

on a sidenote - do you really think all of these Abrahamic texts are that markedly different from one another? They are not. They have the same ethos - the same rigorous belief systems, then same arcane laws and language.

The true difference between Judaism, Christianity and Islam, is the way it's practiced. And that practices differs from person to person, and sect to sect.
It sounds as if you had a completely secular upbringing and know almost nothing about any of those three religions, just some superficial knowledge from google searches.

They are quite different from each other, not just the sacred books but the subsequent interpretive texts, e.g. the Talmud and Torah commentaries of the Jews, the writings of the great saints of Christianity like St. Augustine of Hippo, and the various Koranic commentaries.

But the important thing today is the contrast between the vast majority of the world's other religious people and the Muslims, who are dominated by a pair of medieval sects called Wahhabi and Shi'a as practiced respectively by the Saudis and the Iranians. Both sects have zero tolerance for other religions (including rival Muslim sects) and use violence to settle theological differences. We are talking about hundreds of millions of people, not just some little fringe group like Westboro Baptist Church with a couple hundred members and a wacko leader.

By the way, Muslim terrorists just murdered 133 children at a school in Pakistan last night. They used suicide bombers and guns to maximize the carnage. Little children up to teenagers, plus nine teachers. President Obama always calls them "terrorists" so as not to offend the Muslim community, but we all know what they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta