Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,233 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about taking a job transfer from Phoenix, AZ to our Norcross, GA office next year and had some questions. I have a son who will be in 2nd grade next year and wanted to find a place that was safe, of course, has good elementary schools, and wouldn't be too bad of a commute. I haven't heard good things about Norcross so I haven't considered finding a place there even though I have heard people say to stay where you work due to the awful traffic. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to look at that won't be too bad of a commute, is safe, and has good schools? Also, would Alpharetta be too bad of a commute? Oh and I was planning on renting first and didn't want to pay more than $1200 per mo. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Peachtree Corners or John's Creek

Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get*more responses*please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your*initial*post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Ok, gotcha!
1. Budget-$1200 per mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome? renting so open to apt, condo or townhome
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) will commute-office in Norcross
4. Children(public school vs. private) 1 child public elementary school
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-mix if possible
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. would like a diverse neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM

I will look into Peachtree Corners and John's Creek. Thanks PKCorey!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcorey View Post
peachtree corners or john's creek
x2

Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypea View Post
I will look into Peachtree Corners and John's Creek. Thanks PKCorey!
Peachtree Corners is an excellent suggestion by PKCorey.

That's because Peachtree Corners has the diversity (extreme diversity) and the quality schools that you are looking for in the attendance zone/feeder zone for the ultra-diverse, socially-inclusive and high academically and athletically-achieving Norcross High School.

(...Norcross High School serves the good parts of Norcross which is on the west side of I-85...Norcross High School also serves Peachtree Corners which is a socioeconomically ultra-diverse quality community that is north and west of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard; The parts of Norcross that you likely hear all the unflattering things about are east of I-85 in an aging lower-income unincorporated suburban area that is served by Meadowcreek High School.)

If you happen not to be able to find Peachtree Corners to your liking, you can look in Johns Creek like PKCorey also suggested.

If you look in Johns Creek, look in the feeder zone for Chattahoochee High School first. That's because Chattahoochee High School has a reputation for fostering a very good social environment that emphasizes social inclusiveness and an academic environment that emphasizes a well-rounded curriculum.

Johns Creek and Northview are also excellent high schools, though Johns Creek has a reputation for being a little more socially competitive than some families may be comfortable with while Northview has a reputation for being a little too intensely academically competitive (academically obsessed?) than some families may be comfortable with.

In any case, good luck with your search and Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 AM

You should find several options under your price range. Welcome to Georgia

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
The elementary schools in Peachtree Corners are good, but you can do much better elsewhere in Gwinnett and North Fulton. "Norcross" can be several different locations and could make a difference of 10 minutes or more on your commute. Any idea which road it's off of or near?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Thanks everyone!

Our Norcross office is off of Spalding Dr. I haven't visited the area yet but will be back to look around prior to moving, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta