Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
People will be able to get to it by car or by (bus, in the meantime) transit. It will just take awhile.

Hopefully, the attractions around the stadium are worthwhile so not everyone shows up at the same time and not everyone leaves at the same time, which causes extra traffic.
Realistically this is exactly what will happen. Most people will get there the same time and leave at the same time causing a bad situation to get worse.

Yeah, you can drive there, but it'll really be a PITA getting there. Any leader (or heck, even developer) with common sense would find a way to incorporate mass transit in to this because causing your clients (well paying customers) a hassle to get to where you want them isn't good business and it'll cost them in the long run.

Why couldn't a CID in the area partner up with these goons and get MARTA up there? Smh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
That looks like it could be anywhere. About 10 MLB stadiums look like some variation of that now and that setting of shopping and buildings around it could be found in lots of cities including some leading up to ballparks. Billion dollar projects with very little fresh inspiration.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sure the new stadium looks great. But this move still means I am no longer a Braves fan despite growing up memorizing their lineup.
That's your choice, but it's a selfish, ignorant one.

I wonder if you realize that if you applied your "the Perimeter is a protection barrier not to be crossed" mentality as a two way street, and the OTP folks refused to be fans of the current Braves (or Falcons or Hawks, for that matter) for that very same reason, the Braves would have, by far, the smallest potential fan base of any MLB team, including my other favorite team, the Tampa Bay Rays, and the team would not be in this area, period.

The only way this region works, long term, is if its myriad components work together. Yes, the suburban and edge cities need to work with the CoA, but the converse is true, and it's especially true of the ITP backers.

Full disclosure: I am a white, liberal, business minded Cobb resident - in downtown Marietta, which is becoming as densely populated as many in town areas, and frankly, more dense than most outside midtown - and I want sustainable, functional transit out here. And things like the Braves stadium are probably going to help it happen. If you truly want transit and truly want the Atlanta region to succeed, you'll root for this to be a success. Otherwise, you're just trying to enjoy a serving of very sour grapes, and many of us are shaking our heads in chagrin.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Why not just ride in a car like the rest of the grown ups?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
If I were the Federal Secretary of Transportation, I'd seriously consider suing for an injunction to stop this boondoggle because of its hindrance of interstate commerce.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
The only way this region works, long term, is if its myriad components work together. Yes, the suburban and edge cities need to work with the CoA, but the converse is true, and it's especially true of the ITP backers.
Having lived in both Cobb County and the City of Atlanta, I have an appreciation for what both parties can potentially bring to the table in the goal of benefiting the overall Atlanta region.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that for the better part of 50 years, Cobb County's government has pushed a "me first, screw the rest of the metro area" mentaility, shown by rejecting MARTA in 1965, encouraging uncontrolled sprawl in the '70s and '80s, trying to bail out of ARC in 1992, the anti-gay resolution in 1993 that cost the county Olympic events and the torch relay, and now dropping a massive DRI project such as the Braves stadium into an already-gridlocked area without fixed-rail transit and without voter consent.

Does that excuse the intown folks from culpability in letting MARTA go to crap years ago or working for a better deal to keep the Braves in the CoA? Absolutely not, but to say that the ITP crowd should go more out of its way to kiss the suburbs' rear ends when those same suburbs have let one rip to the intown crowd time and time again would end up be quite unproductive.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
I can't imagine what Clayton, Henry, and Fayette residents will have to go through just to see a baseball game.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Having lived in both Cobb County and the City of Atlanta, I have an appreciation for what both parties can potentially bring to the table in the goal of benefiting the overall Atlanta region.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that for the better part of 50 years, Cobb County's government has pushed a "me first, screw the rest of the metro area" mentaility, shown by rejecting MARTA in 1965, encouraging uncontrolled sprawl in the '70s and '80s, trying to bail out of ARC in 1992, the anti-gay resolution in 1993 that cost the county Olympic events and the torch relay, and now dropping a massive DRI project such as the Braves stadium into an already-gridlocked area without fixed-rail transit and without voter consent.

Does that excuse the intown folks from culpability in letting MARTA go to crap years ago or working for a better deal to keep the Braves in the CoA? Absolutely not, but to say that the ITP crowd should go more out of its way to kiss the suburbs' rear ends when those same suburbs have let one rip to the intown crowd time and time again would end up be quite unproductive.
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post

Completely agree, but the suburbs, including Cobb, have evolved a great deal even in the 17 years that I have lived here. Some of the backwardness remains, but much of it is gone. Trying to equate the Cobb of 1965 or even 1993 with that of today just doesn't work, just as the Grant Park of today doesn't much resemble that of 20 years ago. Is Cobb turning blue this year or next? No, but it is certainly a lot more purple than it was when I moved here.

Incidentally, I don't recall anyone asking the CoA voters for consent when the city decided to build the Falcons a new stadium... Or a streetcar... Or the airport's international terminal. I may be a big-D Democrat, but I also recognize that we live in a small-r republic, and we elect people to make decisions for us. We can't just say,"I want a referendum!" every time our elected officials decide to spend money on something we don't like. If we don't like it, we can try to vote them out in the next election.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I can't imagine what Clayton, Henry, and Fayette residents will have to go through just to see a baseball game.
Probably the same thing anyone outside the metro area will have to go through.... which will make it too much of an inconvenience to go on a regular basis.

There are people throughout the entire state of Georgia and beyond that go to Braves games, but it is those located within a reasonable distance to the stadium that really help sales.

On the flip side, this will be good for those in Paulding, Cherokee and Bartow counties.. and obviously Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta