Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times

Advertisements

Seattle is the worst. It gets dark there at 4:18pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 AM

560 posts, read 667,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Seattle is the worst. It gets dark there at 4:18pm
Confirmed. It's depressing seeing the sun start to set at 4pm on an already cloudy day here in Seattle. But, on the flip side, Seattle has very long Summer days (16hrs).

Sunrise and sunset times in Seattle, June 2014

Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Confirmed. It's depressing seeing the sun start to set at 4pm on an already cloudy day here in Seattle. But, on the flip side, Seattle has very long Summer days (16hrs).

Sunrise and sunset times in Seattle, June 2014
Yep ... spent a week high up in the Rocky Mountains of Western Montana 3-4 summers ago. The sun was up at 5 am and didn't set until 10 pm. Amazing.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
I think the sun is stonger at this latitude than at northern latitudes as well. My first summer here, I got a sunburn on my driving arm. And umm....I'm brown, so a sunburn is not something I had ever had up until that point in time.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I think the sun is stonger at this latitude than at northern latitudes as well. My first summer here, I got a sunburn on my driving arm. And umm....I'm brown, so a sunburn is not something I had ever had up until that point in time.
No thinking about it, Tryska. It just simply is!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No thinking about it, Tryska. It just simply is!

lol - I never looked it up before, but yes..it is scientific fact. Also - something else I am not going to look up, but will ask about - is "high noon" around here really around 3pm? Up north - noon was when the sun was the highest - but here it seems to happen a couple of hours later.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM

41 posts, read 72,194 times
How are you liking Atlanta so far?

So far, so good. The positives are outweighing the negatives.

Good:
Cost of living! I moved here from just outside NYC, so of course it's relative. My mortgage for a 4 bed/2.5 bath is less than my rent for a 1/1.
General friendliness. Even the people at the DMV were friendly.
Food. I'm surprised at how good and diverse the food is. I even found a decent ramen restaurant!

Bad:
Bugs. *shudder*
Traffic and traffic patterns. How the middle lane of a 3 lane road becomes a left turn only lane, I'll never understand, and the lights here are ridiculous.
General gun culture. I'm not a fan.

Where did you move from and why?

Just outside NYC. My company relocated us.

Do you have any general questions about this area?

My husband and I are in desperate need of a weekend getaway. Where should we go? Something spa-like or generally relaxing would be fabulous.
Also, best state/national parks for camping? My favorite way to relax in the summer is to pack up the tent and just go somewhere my cell phone won't work.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn142 View Post
[b].

Do you have any general questions about this area?

My husband and I are in desperate need of a weekend getaway. Where should we go? Something spa-like or generally relaxing would be fabulous.
It depends on your budget, but I recommend the Ritz-Carlton Lodge at Lake Oconee for a long weekend getaway. Otherwise, Callaway Gardens or, perhaps, Barnsley Gardens. Some folks will recommend the Ga Atlantic coast resorts - the Cloister, Hilton Head and the like. Not my cup of tea, but plenty of people flock to the coast.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:05 PM

787 posts, read 969,101 times
I was born here, but moved to Columbus, Ga when I was 6, then moved to Dayton, Oh for college at 18, and just moved back at the age of 30. I never imagined I would have been gone for so long but I screwed around in school, took some years off, a few bad girlfriends, etc, but I was too embarrassed to move back home without my 4 year degree so I vowed to stay til I graduated. Several years later when I finally matured i graduated, got married and finally moved back home.

Though im from here I really don't know much about Atlanta. I moved back with my wife in March, and it's been a blast, visiting family members I haven't seen in forever, joined a great church (Camp Creek Church of Christ), and we are loving the city, heck my wife has more friends than me as she went to Spelman in the early-mid 2000's. Most of my mothers side of my family is in Marietta, Austell, Powder Springs, and West Atlanta so that's where we spend most of our time.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ In summer, Washington gets about 30 minutes more daylight than Atlanta because the sun rises about 45 minutes EARLIER in the morning.
This surprised me and led me to do a full analysis. I was really surprised that Boston gets more daylight in a year than Atlanta. I think that is balanced out by the other bottom-line result: that the amount-of-daylight-per-day variance is much lower in Atlanta than in Boston.

Boston Total Daylight 2015 = 185.7 hours;
Atlanta Total Daylight 2015 = 185.1 hours.

Boston's shortest day is 9 hours 4 minutes;
Atlanta's shortest day is 9 hours 54 minutes.

Boston's longest day is 15 hours 17 minutes;
Atlanta's longest day is 14 hours 24 minutes.

Boston's earliest sunrise is 5:06 AM;
Atlanta's earliest sunrise is 6:26 AM.

Boston's latest sunset is 8:25 PM;
Atlanta's latest sunset is 8:52 PM.

(These are factoring in DST.)

Boston daily daylight variance = 11.4 minutes;
Atlanta daily daylight variance = 6.0 minutes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DaylightComparisons.zip (6.4 KB, 9 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta