Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
The Bay Area is certainly nowhere near the forefront of public transit, the whole mishmash of systems is a mess.

Atlanta has a lot to learn about transit but should not look anywhere near the Bay Area for a model.
There are multiple systems in the region, but one can transfer from one to the other easier than what is going on in the present here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 PM

124 posts, read 152,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
There are multiple systems in the region, but one can transfer from one to the other easier than what is going on in the present here.
yes this is precisely why all the large Silicon Valley co's are able to rely on Muni/Bart to Caltrain to get their employees to work. Oh wait, instead they setup an entire parallel private bus system because the current system is so bad.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
What's the area of Bay Area transit coverage versus Atlanta Metro transit coverage?

Since we're comparing systems and all..

Old 12-12-2014, 03:49 PM

124 posts, read 152,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
What's the area of Bay Area transit coverage versus Atlanta Metro transit coverage?

Since we're comparing systems and all..
Bay Area has a much larger coverage area than MARTA rail.

BART alone must have twice as much track as MARTA. There are actually a lot of similarities to Atlanta where key parts of the SF Bay area opted out of the system leaving glaring holes in coverage.

All I am saying is that the systems in the Bay Area (Muni/BART/Caltrain etc) are not a model anyone would emulate.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
You know what's funny?

I never at all said or even implied that MARTA is directly or indirectly to blame for Georgia not having its own Silicon Valley.

I am stating plainly it is the bigoted, old-world, close-minded thinking that prevents Georgia from having its own Silicon Valley. The sort of spiteful thought process that chases away creative minds that would lead to the Silicon Valley-type of places.

People with this type of thinking creates workplaces that reject collaboration.

I would go even farther to say that people with the sort of "remove those people from my sight" type of thinking ecourages a toxic, good ol' boy, feudalistic work environment that chases away people who think different and may offer good solutions.

That's why Ga Tech trains up these brilliant minds only to have the bulk of them leave this state for greener pastures. Companies here in Georgia all too often practice an extreme "it's not what you know, it's who you know" mantra for hiring newly graduated young people.

That's my point.

Never have I put transit options into this equation.

But I suppose it is simply another case of people selectively reading what they want and not reading what is actually being said.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's why Ga Tech trains up these brilliant minds only to have the bulk of them leave this state for greener pastures. Companies here in Georgia all too often practice an extreme "it's not what you know, it's who you know" mantra for hiring newly graduated young people.
Ummm... I don't think it is that local companies don't want to hire GT grads. It is that working for Apple or Google for 6 figures out of college is more appealing than working for Delta or Home Depot.

The 1st part of what you said is true, but the follow on sentence is garbage.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
That's cool because nothing you say I take seriously anyways.

I see most if not all of your comments as the equivalent of satire. They are good for a momentary laugh, but at the end of the day they end up being stale and depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

The 1st part of what you said is true, but the follow on sentence is garbage.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
Bay Area has a much larger coverage area than MARTA rail.

BART alone must have twice as much track as MARTA. There are actually a lot of similarities to Atlanta where key parts of the SF Bay area opted out of the system leaving glaring holes in coverage.
BART = 104 miles, MARTA = 48 miles

Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
I had this discussion with an older guy OTP. He said mass transit bring in apartments which brings in section 8 which means his taxes dollars are now going to help the poor

Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
This from the Atlanta Livable Communities Coalition:

"Data that are available, using Uniform Crime Report (UCR) classifications, suggest that transit crime is of a less serious nature although serious crime does occur regularly. Disorderly conduct, public drunkenness, fare evasion theft, and simple assaults appear to be the five most frequently occurring offenses. As would be expected, serious and violent crime is more characteristic of larger transit systems, measured both by statistical incidence and crime per passenger trip."

This is certainly a mixed message.

Speaking from an anecdotal perspective I don't go near any form of mass transit in the major urban areas of my state. There have been too many beatings, thefts and murders at stations in areas that were previously safe.

Regarding low-level crimes on mass transit, who really wants to share a trip to the zoo or public park with disorderly, dishonest, assaultive, thieving or drunk people?

It may well be true that transit systems do not increase crime. I expect that may be true although finding information on it isn't easy as little published research seems to be available.

But I have no difficulty stating from my own observations that public transit has moved crime into low-crime areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta