Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM

314 posts, read 1,274,416 times

Advertisements

anyone know what is happening here, it looks like we are losing a lane on each side to be replaced by tree bumpouts to add parallel parking...wonder how this plays into the proposed light rail line there, if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 PM

595 posts, read 2,337,996 times
They should just close Peachtree to traffic either all day or part of the day, and make it a pedestrian friendly street.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,662,935 times
here's the link

...and the article:

Peachtree & West Peachtree Streets
in Cityscapes Transformation

The transformation of 10th Street and Piedmont Avenue was Cityscapes' first triumph. Midtown stakeholders can now see similarly dramatic results along Atlanta’s signature Peachtree Street (from 3rd Street to 10th Street) and along West Peachtree Street (from North Avenue to 13th Street).

“These projects enhance the pedestrian zone with new, wider sidewalks—15 feet where possible—with a five-foot wide furniture zone at the curb, all of which means enhanced walkability,” said Sarah Yates, Senior Project Manager, Silverman Construction Management, the construction management team for the projects. “All crosswalk ramps are being brought up to ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards, and to the extent possible, we are removing overhead lines from Peachtree and West Peachtree Streets.”

Scheduled for completion in fall 2006, the Peachtree and West Peachtree projects include concrete pavers, new street trees, landscaping, improved pedestrian crosswalks, pedestrian lighting as well as decorative street lighting, and on-street parking on West Peachtree Street. The streetscape transformation is expected to enhance retail opportunities along both corridors. “By making the streets more pedestrian-friendly, people will want to walk, stop and shop in Midtown,” Yates said. “The on-street parking on West Peachtree, for example, will encourage people to pull in, park, and shop.”

With a construction value of $5.7 million, the Peachtree/West Peachtree projects are being funded by the Midtown Improvement District in cooperation with the City of Atlanta, the Georgia Department of Transportation and the Atlanta Regional Commission’s Livable Centers Initiative.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

guess they missed the completion deadline???

Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM

177 posts, read 922,094 times
I thought they already finished most of that...when I first moved here they finished the landscape and paving already...as well as the parallel parking on West Peachtree. I think they did everything except for getting rid of the overhead wires.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
I thought they already finished most of that...when I first moved here they finished the landscape and paving already...as well as the parallel parking on West Peachtree. I think they did everything except for getting rid of the overhead wires.
just by reading it, seems like you're right WPT is done but not PT

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,329,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
They should just close Peachtree to traffic either all day or part of the day, and make it a pedestrian friendly street.
I like this idea. And it seems like the only feasible way to go if Shirley Franklin is serious about planning to have a streetcar that will run up and down peachtree. I don't know how you could possibly incorporate a streetcar without doing away with the car lanes.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM

177 posts, read 922,094 times
Don't get me started about that street car business and its Condo Tax...I plan to be at that meeting on Jan 8th.
I would like a bike lane on Peachtree though. THAT I can get behind. If they had it I would ride my bike to work most days.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM

314 posts, read 1,274,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
here's the link

...and the article:

Peachtree & West Peachtree Streets
in Cityscapes Transformation

The transformation of 10th Street and Piedmont Avenue was Cityscapes' first triumph. Midtown stakeholders can now see similarly dramatic results along Atlanta’s signature Peachtree Street (from 3rd Street to 10th Street) and along West Peachtree Street (from North Avenue to 13th Street).

“These projects enhance the pedestrian zone with new, wider sidewalks—15 feet where possible—with a five-foot wide furniture zone at the curb, all of which means enhanced walkability,” said Sarah Yates, Senior Project Manager, Silverman Construction Management, the construction management team for the projects. “All crosswalk ramps are being brought up to ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards, and to the extent possible, we are removing overhead lines from Peachtree and West Peachtree Streets.”

Scheduled for completion in fall 2006, the Peachtree and West Peachtree projects include concrete pavers, new street trees, landscaping, improved pedestrian crosswalks, pedestrian lighting as well as decorative street lighting, and on-street parking on West Peachtree Street. The streetscape transformation is expected to enhance retail opportunities along both corridors. “By making the streets more pedestrian-friendly, people will want to walk, stop and shop in Midtown,” Yates said. “The on-street parking on West Peachtree, for example, will encourage people to pull in, park, and shop.”

With a construction value of $5.7 million, the Peachtree/West Peachtree projects are being funded by the Midtown Improvement District in cooperation with the City of Atlanta, the Georgia Department of Transportation and the Atlanta Regional Commission’s Livable Centers Initiative.
thanks!

*it wont let me post anything shorter than 10 characters...so im typing this*

Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I like this idea. And it seems like the only feasible way to go if Shirley Franklin is serious about planning to have a streetcar that will run up and down peachtree. I don't know how you could possibly incorporate a streetcar without doing away with the car lanes.
The street cars would run in one car lane going in each direction, leaving only one lane that's dedicated to cars going in each direction. Cars could/would share the light rail lane with the rail.

And yeah, even though I support a rail type thing, it's gonna be chaos considering Atlanta drivers and their habits. In places like San Francisco, people are used to sharing lanes and it's second nature to drive correctly when around a trolley. When they started using light rail in L.A., there are a lot more accidents involving collisions with cars and the trains - exactly what I expect to happen here.

I'm all for shutting down Peachtree to car traffic, but in reality it will never happen. Peachtree is considered the "backbone" of Atlanta and they'd never agree to making it rail/walk/bike only in a car-oriented city like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta