Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Another big reason is the port. Savannah has the technical schools and universities for such a place, too.. but so does Atlanta.
I don't know. I can see a port being more important to the location of a plant but not HQ. But maybe. Of course Atlanta has a big edge education wise but Georgia Tech's campus in Savannah could decide to start offering bachelors degrees again if Mercedes were to move in and Georgia Southern is not too far away with an engineering program. If the HQs are mostly a sales thing however Savannah would be even more suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM

105 posts, read 149,332 times
Don't see Mercedes going to Savannah. Doesn't have the international recognition that Mercedes is looking for. Atlanta seems like a natural fit. Great airport, central location, logistical hub, and in the backyard of their largest market. Fingers crossed these guys set up shop!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Don't see Mercedes going to Savannah. Doesn't have the international recognition that Mercedes is looking for. Atlanta seems like a natural fit. Great airport, central location, logistical hub, and in the backyard of their largest market. Fingers crossed these guys set up shop!
Could've fooled me. Savannah is, after all, an international tourist destination.

BTW, Gulfstream is headquartered there and I would say they are pretty well known, too, internationally.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:56 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
big return? The KIA plant sits next to 'bama. Our tax money not only subsidized the free market, but also Alabama. that's BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
While some of the suppliers are located in Alabama there are many large ones that have located in Georgia for KIA. (I was peeved myself to see they were locating it on the Alabama border though). But did you see the 7 ways I listed that the State of Georgia can and will get it's money back and then some?
I know that my home county of Meriwether built an industrial park right off the interchange of GA 54 and I-85 that is now home to 4 Kia suppliers. With the textile industry fading in this part of the state, it is the first industrial development in the county in many years. So what if it is near Alabama? It is still Georgia 100% right up to the line.

Also to be noted.... Even though Honda built their SUV/van factory in Lincoln, Alabama (just down the road from the Talladega Speedway) they built a transmission factory to supply this plant in Tallapoosa, GA. So development can flow the other way too.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Could've fooled me. Savannah is, after all, an international tourist destination.

BTW, Gulfstream is headquartered there and I would say they are pretty well known, too, internationally.
Sure but Mercedes is on an entire different level. Just don't see it happening for Savannah. Atlanta, most definitely yes. Hopefully Georgia lands it regardless of where they go.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:03 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Handouts might sweeten the deal, but it's New Jersey's notoriously HIGH costs for EVERYONE that make doing business there so difficult. Those northern states make it very difficult with high taxation, high costs, and regulatory burdens to be successful. That's what happens when you choke the golden goose: no more golden eggs.
Sadly we have people on this forum who want to make us more like NJ/NY/CT/MA. Luckily those ideas didn't win on election day.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Sadly we have people on this forum who want to make us more like NJ/NY/CT/MA. Luckily those ideas didn't win on election day.
Agree with you on that!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
In what sense? When it comes to better planning, more transit, higher paying jobs, a more educated workforce, etc. why wouldn't we want to be?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In what sense? When it comes to better planning, more transit, higher paying jobs, a more educated workforce, etc. why wouldn't we want to be?
OH....the HORROR!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not to mention less crime and healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta