Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM

61 posts, read 79,241 times

Advertisements

Ok so my lease is up.....and have to move in January. I'm thinking nobody moves around this time, so rents will be cheap like usual right?......WRONG.

So here is the dilemma. I'm looking for a 2 bdr - 2 bth in a complex with an elevator in Buckhead, Perimeter, Sandy Springs, Lindbergh, Brookhaven. I can't find anything less than $1600 a month, even with the help of Promove. I'm very disappointed. The only reason my wife and I wanted an elevator is because I have a 3 month old and right now I go up to the 3rd floor with stairs and with horrible parking(sometimes parking 3 buildings away from mine). Kinda tired of it.

My job is in the Perimeter area so right now my commute isn't that bad from Brookhaven. I'm thinking about Smyrna as an option but I like having Marta access since my job is by a train station an is only a shuttle or 20 minute walk away. I'm I the only that thinks these rents are outrageous?

I also considered buying but prices in the same areas are outrageous and my current complex wants almost double my rent to go month to month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:36 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
The rental market in the Atlanta core is hot. Brookhaven, Buckhead, Lindbergh and Midtown are the absolute worst places to try to look right now.

Instead of looking at Smyrna, try Roswell.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times
What about Doraville? You have marta access, it's international (Chinese, Vietnamese, Hispanic) cuisine, and as far as I can tell, it's safe.

Floor Plans of Longwood Vista in Atlanta, GA
I've been to these apartments, they aren't amazing, but they're decent. Prices are all over the place on the internet, $800-1000 for 2 rooms. On the other hand, I guess this isn't helpful if you're on the red line.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
So what you're saying is that the rent is too damn high?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsNbQRU5TI

Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Rent rates around the country are no longer based on the traditional local markets and seasons. Instead, the complex owners now have a program that examines trends in renting by the week and assigns a price to an apartment based on what that program says they can get NOW.

So, if you are unlucky enough that all those factors come together and the program says they can get 100% more for your apt than they can for the one next to it, you loose.

Think of it as "airlines reservation model" for apartments. If it is not in your market, it will be soon.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
DUde there are plenty of apartments outside the central core of Atlanta that are within your price range

Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM

61 posts, read 79,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
So what you're saying is that the rent is too damn high?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsNbQRU5TI

That is hilarious but true! Yes THE RENT IS TOO DAM HIGH!

And to the previous poster, yeah I could probably find something way outside of the core but even those are starting to climb and then I would be adding a horrendous commute to my already rough commute. It took me 30-40 minutes just to get from Abernathy(Perimeter Center) to GA-400 South this evening.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Look in Smyrna/Vinings or check out Promove.

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-16-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
So what we really have here is a combination of a true rise in rents, but coupled with too narrow of a vision of where to live.

It's like saying rent in New York is too high, where do all the people who don't have huge Wall Street salaries live? Well, they live in New Jersey, Queens, and Long Island.

Same thing here. Rents in the city have gone way up because everybody wants what you want. So the market is filtering itself for people willing to pay for it.

The end game here is harsh reality, but it boils down to make more money or give up some of your demands.

Probably the easiest demand to give up in requiring an elevator, since that is the most constrictive requirement you have. Most apartments simply do not have them. Also, has been stated, rents in many areas have risen very slightly or even remained stagnant over the past several years. You can rent an apartment in Alpharetta for more or less the same price as 10 years ago (for the same quality level that was available then, that is).

However, I can also tell you aren't looking hard enough because Post Gardens is an excellent property in Buckhead, very close to Brookhaven, with a parking garage and elevator (though the elevator isn't necessarily close to each and every unit). Rents on 2 bedrooms there start at $1340. It's also within walking distance to the Lenox MARTA station.

That is just based on a 5 second search. I didn't conduct full research, just checked into Post Gardens because I used to live there and liked it. It's not unique in the area, so there should be other properties that are more or less similar nearby.

Post Properties

If the people at ProMove couldn't have found this, they aren't good, which isn't surprising. Or you have some other requirements you aren't telling us about.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Promove is a bunch of morons.

They get paid on commissions from referrals, so they try to send you where the referral fees are the highest.

Every once in a while you will get someone there who knows what they are doing, but the majority of the time you are working with high school graduates who don't know diddly squat about real estate and might have been flipping burgers at Wendy's last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta