Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:33 AM

338 posts, read 556,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
obviously the guy has problems that go way beyond living in atlanta. i wouldn't pay him any mind. i got a bit irked at first, but as i read on, his complaints made less and less sense—for example, he complains about local restaurants and then complains about chains, then he complains about buckhead not "being walkable", and then he complains about midtown having "no free parking".

at this point i checked out the rest of his blog— this is the only entry. his bio page complains about how he doesn't have any friends and how everyone calls him a yankee, which also doesn't make a great deal of sense, considering half of the people in the metro area aren't from anywhere that could be possibly referred to as "the south".

i think the poor guy might be depressed. i wouldn't bother writing him an angry e-mail, but perhaps someone should try and reach out and see if he's okay?
I agree with you. He could be depressed but overall judging from the two bits of content on his blog he seems a bit out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i thought we were replying to the blog post. when it comes to actual criticism, yeah, we have a lot of neighbourhoods that are overrated. kirkwood comes to mind. kirkwood is nice, sure, but it's been named as the #1 neighbourhood in ATL by a couple of different publications now, and i don't get why it's supposed to be better than midtown.
Well I included that blog post because I figured it would be something to get us on a discussion instead of just posting a generic "what are the most overrated hoods in Atlanta" thread which I'm sure has already been posted.

About Kirkwood, I don't think I've ever been there. I need to visit Atlanta again sometime! Btw, you said "neighbourhood" instead of "neighborhood"...where are you from? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Kirkwood is overrated. I think it's a great neighborhood, nice people and some okay businesses but it got listed as Atlanta's best neighborhood last year by Curbed and I don't agree with that.

I've always thought Virginia Highland is overrated. I just don't think it has much character. Rather, I just don't care for the character that it does have. I think it's too bland.

Same goes for most of Buckhead. But to each their own. It's just not my cup of tea. I like mine with a little more bite.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Ugh that blog reads like it's written by a 15 year old. I can't tolerate that for more than two paragraphs.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Ugh that blog reads like it's written by a 15 year old. I can't tolerate that for more than two paragraphs.
No kidding.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Little 5 points. People talk about its strong counterculture vibe and the eclectic mix of stores and people.. but whenever I go there.. it just feels dead. The only interesting things there are junkyards daughter and the large skull thats the vortex..maybe I'm missing something..
LOL.

It is pretty dead sometimes, as is everywhere else, thanks to the fact that most people go to work or school during the daytime on weekdays. But you can't argue with the eclectic mix of stores. There's more variety of goods and services in L5P than anywhere else in Atlanta, by far.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post

About Kirkwood, I don't think I've ever been there. I need to visit Atlanta again sometime! Btw, you said "neighbourhood" instead of "neighborhood"...where are you from? If you don't mind me asking.
i'm from here, just a bit eccentric.

kirkwood is straight east of reynoldstown.

like i said, it's nice, but i wouldn't call it #1.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Kirkwood is overrated. I think it's a great neighborhood, nice people and some okay businesses but it got listed as Atlanta's best neighborhood last year by Curbed and I don't agree with that.

I've always thought Virginia Highland is overrated. I just don't think it has much character. Rather, I just don't care for the character that it does have. I think it's too bland.

Same goes for most of Buckhead. But to each their own. It's just not my cup of tea. I like mine with a little more bite.
Those contest are just popularity conteste and who can get the most votes. What it really showed was how much love residents have for kirkwood. No its not overrated but it can't be compared to areas like midtown.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:08 AM

29 posts, read 42,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
LOL at Ponce being in a bad location. I call BS that this guy has lived here for 3 years...unless he moved here when he was 12 and he really is 15.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Brookhaven.
I agree...aside from Town Brookhaven is there really much of there beside residential areas.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Does anyone agree with this guy? I think it's sort of funny what he's saying and I ALMOST agree with him but I enjoyed the Buckhead and Midtown areas a lot more than he did apparently. Atlanta might not be New York or Chicago but it's certainly got stuff to do.

Atlanta’s Most Overrated Neighborhoods | Miserable Yankee

Looks like that was written back in March and he hasn't written anything since, so maybe he was just having a bad day.

As far as this topic is concerned though, are there others you would add to the list?
That guy is my hero!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta