Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 PM

105 posts, read 149,332 times

Advertisements

With all of the growth that the Perimeter is seeing, do you guys think the Perimeter area could ever become as dense as Buckhead? There seems to be several new towers being rumored in the area. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
With all of the growth that the Perimeter is seeing, do you guys think the Perimeter area could ever become as dense as Buckhead? There seems to be several new towers being rumored in the area. Just curious.
In a word, yes.

It's already happening, and zoning is in place for transformative development.

State Farm has broken ground on the first tower in their massive new development on Hammond.

This is a separate development planned and approved directly across the street:
Development - Projects - High Street | GID.com

Cox is finishing up on a pretty impressive HQ's complex just to the north on Peachtree-Dunwoody.

Hines is ready to develop this at Abernathy/Mt. Vernon/Peachtree-Dunwoody:
Northpark

Dense apartment complexes are filling in. This area is already our largest office submarket, and will continue to urbanize.

I personally would prefer to see all of this happening inside the City, but it is what it is. A huge portion of corporate America has spoken, and this is now one of our 'favored quarters.' I wish it the best, and am happy to see the prosperity happening here.

I am also convinced that having 4 train stations in the area is a huge asset.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Yes. Buckhead is not all that dense anyways.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
In a word, yes.

It's already happening, and zoning is in place for transformative development.

State Farm has broken ground on the first tower in their massive new development on Hammond.

This is a separate development planned and approved directly across the street:
Development - Projects - High Street | GID.com

Cox is finishing up on a pretty impressive HQ's complex just to the north on Peachtree-Dunwoody.

Hines is ready to develop this at Abernathy/Mt. Vernon/Peachtree-Dunwoody:
Northpark

Dense apartment complexes are filling in. This area is already our largest office submarket, and will continue to urbanize.

I personally would prefer to see all of this happening inside the City, but it is what it is. A huge portion of corporate America has spoken, and this is now one of our 'favored quarters.' I wish it the best, and am happy to see the prosperity happening here.

I am also convinced that having 4 train stations in the area is a huge asset.
Definitely some exciting projects. What's the likelihood of these coming to fruition?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Definitely some exciting projects. What's the likelihood of these coming to fruition?
Stay tuned...

Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 AM

18 posts, read 28,862 times
Here is some more info on the State Farm expansion
State Farm to headline massive project near Perimeter Mall | www.ajc.com

Old 12-23-2014, 05:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Perimeter center will continue to become dense, but not the surrounding residential areas. Unless something about traffic congestion is done, it'll become a nightmare. PC stands to benefit from the red line extension north as it'll give north fulton commuters another choice.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:55 AM

I agree with everyone's comments. I recently purchased a townhome in the area hoping to take advantage of the growth in the near future. Traffic is brutal at times but I still love the area. Lived in Buckhead for 6 years so I needed something different. I really hope these projects happen.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM

298 posts, read 373,878 times
I am very interested to see how the Perimeter area develops, and reacts, to all the development. Traffic is already bad and is only going to get worst with the new development and the people they'll bring. The lack of thru roads and large insular developments like the mall and various suburban-style residential developments force all this traffic onto too few of roads, limiting options, and creating gridlock. While the Perimeter area has access to four MARTA stations, which is great, its clear that many of these developments are locating in the area because of its location to the entire metro area, much that isn't served by MARTA. The point being, while it's great State Farm wants to be located near MARTA and incorporate it into their building, they're still building a 4,000+ parking deck, knowing the majority of people will still be commuting my car. Eventually they'll be a breaking point, where neither the employee, nor resident, wants to be stuck in that traffic. A positive move would be to increase high density residential in the area, but we've seen Dunwoody leadership already attempt to put restrictions on stick built apartment complexes, which could provide quick, relatively cheap, solutions.

As JMatl said, there's also Abernathy 400 (additional 2,000 car deck, not really located near MARTA); 100 North Park, High Street Atlanta, & the Goldkist Development (apparently Mercedes is looking into this?).

Something things that could help in the future would be an obvious expansion to MARTA, but that's far from certain, has limited reach, and is a far distance future solution. Dunwoody and the business community could provide transit of their own, but you're still hindered with the fact that the majority of people working are commuting in. Regardless of whether they take transit during the day to get around. The only possible solution, in the near and mid-term, would be to increase residential opportunities and allow those who want to avoid traffic to have an option - the locally provided transit would also serve them, making living in the area more appealing.

Regardless, it is my opinion, the area will soon hit a wall due to infrastructure and traffic.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:57 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
So long, elbow room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta