Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
You've gotta be kidding. Lots of people work from home and are married parents.
No, I'm not kidding. Your exact words were I "am in self-imposed exile from for corporate work life." You have chosen to isolate yourself from the very place where most professional adults -- married, single, parents, childless or otherwise -- interact with peers and make lasting friendships. And then ask why you have no friends?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times
Actually, lots of people are blessedly and blissfully empowered to not need to work in corporate offices. I'm surrounded by professionals and entrepreneurs who are not part of that. I did my time and have neither need nor current desire to return.

So work defines or is the nexus of your social life?

There's a lot of life outside of work. Surely you've heard of volunteering, faith-based activities, fitness facilities, meetup groups and neighborhood gatherings?

I have friends. The issue is the unexpected difficulty in really meeting and connecting with people on an authentic level in a metro area with a population of 5.5 million people.

Last edited by hautemomma; 12-25-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 02:55 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
You've gotta be kidding. Lots of people work from home and are married parents.
I agree -- where you work isn't really the issue.

Some of the most social people I've ever known work from home. Likewise, I've known people who work in offices who are very insular and disconnected.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:41 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
I've been in Metro Atlanta for over a year, and I grossly underestimated how difficult it would be to meet new people here. Given the population, I really had my hopes up about expanding my social circle and encountering similarly minded people. However, it's been VERY challenging. Has anyone ever felt the same way?
Quote:
Ha.

Culturally aware, socially conscious, neither conservative nor liberal, into the arts (visual, written and spoken).

I'm married with two kids, work from home and am in self-imposed exile from corporate work life.
Quote:
Actually, lots of people are blessedly and blissfully empowered to not need to work in corporate offices. I'm surrounded by professionals and entrepreneurs who are not part of that. I did my time and have neither need nor current desire to return.

So work defines or is the nexus of your social life?

There's a lot of life outside of work. Surely you've heard of volunteering, faith-based activities, fitness facilities, meetup groups and neighborhood gatherings?

I have friends. The issue is the unexpected difficulty in really meeting and connecting with people on an authentic level in a metro area with a population of 5.5 million people.
I obviously don't know if you attended college or what college you attended if you did. But a good way to potentially have a longer-lasting connection with people you may meet might be to become active in the local chapter of your alma mater's alumni/fan club, if that is an option for you.

Becoming active in the local chapter of your alma mater's alumni/fan club is a good way to potentially have a longer-lasting connection with people you may meet because a alumni/fan club chapter is a gathering of people who get together consistently, not just to have viewing parties for football and basketball games, but also for business networking events, social gatherings and community service outings and cultural event outings.

You don't even have to be a graduate of a particular school to join a local alumni chapter of that school, just an avid fan and supporter.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 AM

Born2Roll,

Now this is something I have NOT considered. I will explore that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:23 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Born2Roll makes a great suggestion. My social circle expanded exponentially after I got involved with my local alumni chapter here in Atlanta

Old 12-26-2014, 09:46 AM

524 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
I've been in Metro Atlanta for over a year, and I grossly underestimated how difficult it would be to meet new people here.
Atlanta is very spread out. After work, the suburbanites jump into their SUVs and flee to their homes in the suburbs. People would rather socialize with their families, friends or neighbors who are in their small circle. Aside from that, most everyone is married or in a relationship. So it is hard to meet single people here who are over college age. There is a burgeoning gay community here that severely limits your chances of meeting single heterosexual men. Single women put all their energy into meeting men. Once they find a man they are immediately suspicious of other single women, because cheating is so rampant here. The problem is there aren't enough straight men to go around.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Yea if you are a hetero male here you have no excuse for being single. My face hurts from smiling back at all the ladies at PPark

Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Atlanta is very spread out. After work, the suburbanites jump into their SUVs and flee to their homes in the suburbs.
Most city of Atlanta residents work in the suburbs. So it's likely that a slew of them jump into their SUVs and flee to their homes in the city.

Of course a huge number of suburbanites also work in the suburbs.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Atlanta is very spread out. After work, the suburbanites jump into their SUVs and flee to their homes in the suburbs. People would rather socialize with their families, friends or neighbors who are in their small circle. Aside from that, most everyone is married or in a relationship. So it is hard to meet single people here who are over college age. There is a burgeoning gay community here that severely limits your chances of meeting single heterosexual men. Single women put all their energy into meeting men. Once they find a man they are immediately suspicious of other single women, because cheating is so rampant here. The problem is there aren't enough straight men to go around.
Um, I'm married and not looking, so ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta