Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times

Advertisements

It will be 20-30 yrs before Atlanta gets its transit situation together and many will not care by then.

2025 minimum, would be the time frame I see a train going to windward parkway and even longer to stonecrest since its not the precious northside of town everyone cares so dearly about with traffic issues, even though the East side of town is pretty bad as well.

Last edited by SAAN; 01-05-2015 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,067,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
It will be 20-30 yrs before Atlanta gets its transit situation correct and many will not care by then.

2025 minimum, would be the time frame I see a train going to windward parkway and even longer to stonecrest since its not the precious northside of town everyone cares so dearly about with traffic issues, even though the East side of town is pretty bad as well.
Define a "correct" transit situation.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Define a "correct" transit situation.
I guess I should have said together rather than correct.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,687,817 times
I understand. I just don't see anything possible for the Buckhead Village. It is 1 mile from Buckhead station with the furthest extent being 1.2 miles away and there really aren't continuing destinations needing service without a major overhaul of existing land-use plans/community mentality. Even if there was a single station spur created for the route to continue into town, it would be really highly operations costs and could affect the operations of the remainder the north and northeast lines.

Realistically to get there any upgraded service will likely require a transfer, so the best options are to focus on circulation. Streetcar is most likely the most upgraded service to expect in the area.

Before anything though, I really think this would be the best option to try to sell the bus. It is one of the few branded routes the city has (110 The Peach). It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to make it into a more premium bus service. Brainstorm ways to make it more appealing. Give it 5 minute headways and go all in.

It is really only 1 mile to connect to Buckhead station, so it doesn't have to be a gamestopper if isn't completely grade separated. We just have the change the mentality against bus service as we have new development come in.

I also think they need to continue with all the streetscape improvements. One of the several reasons why bus service doesn't work well for choice riders is the final 1/4-1/2 mile walk and sidewalk/bus stop amenities.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I understand. I just don't see anything possible for the Buckhead Village. It is 1 mile from Buckhead station with the furthest extent being 1.2 miles away and there really aren't continuing destinations needing service without a major overhaul of existing land-use plans/community mentality. Even if there was a single station spur created for the route to continue into town, it would be really highly operations costs and could affect the operations of the remainder the north and northeast lines.

Realistically to get there any upgraded service will likely require a transfer, so the best options are to focus on circulation. Streetcar is most likely the most upgraded service to expect in the area.

Before anything though, I really think this would be the best option to try to sell the bus. It is one of the few branded routes the city has (110 The Peach). It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to make it into a more premium bus service. Brainstorm ways to make it more appealing. Give it 5 minute headways and go all in.

It is really only 1 mile to connect to Buckhead station, so it doesn't have to be a gamestopper if isn't completely grade separated. We just have the change the mentality against bus service as we have new development come in.

I also think they need to continue with all the streetscape improvements. One of the several reasons why bus service doesn't work well for choice riders is the final 1/4-1/2 mile walk and sidewalk/bus stop amenities.
Absolutely agree, about upgrading the bus service. The 110 is already a good bus line between arts and lenox, but lowering headways during peak hours could help out. Maybe convert a lane into a bus/bike only? The walk from buckhead station is pleasant until the streetscape ends, then its a nightmare.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,118,495 times
I get the feeling ppl on C-D just like to talk about mass transit, streetcars and transportation issues bc it has already been said a number of times that Buckhead transit is fine, the ppl living here are not riding it anyway, etc yet everyone wants to dream up ways to create more train, bus and now streetcar activity. ????? Why not just leave the topic alone? Is anyone who actually lives in Buckhead trying to increase mass transit? We have to live here after everyone else goes home. Maybe some ppl just don't want that lifestyle where they live??? Buckhead is plenty fast and congested. We really don't need more mass transit just to convince someone Buckhead is some happening place trying to be on par with some northern city. Is it acceptable to just leave it as it is or does every place inside the perimeter now need to be overrun with streetcars and stores and buses and train and to tons of foot traffic and even more ppl all over the place than are already in Buckhead on a regular basis?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,067,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I get the feeling ppl on C-D just like to talk about mass transit, streetcars and transportation issues bc it has already been said a number of times that Buckhead transit is fine, the ppl living here are not riding it anyway, etc yet everyone wants to dream up ways to create more train, bus and now streetcar activity. ????? Why not just leave the topic alone? Is anyone who actually lives in Buckhead trying to increase mass transit? We have to live here after everyone else goes home. Maybe some ppl just don't want that lifestyle where they live??? Buckhead is plenty fast and congested. We really don't need more mass transit just to convince someone Buckhead is some happening place trying to be on par with some northern city. Is it acceptable to just leave it as it is or does every place inside the perimeter now need to be overrun with streetcars and stores and buses and train and to tons of foot traffic and even more ppl all over the place than are already in Buckhead on a regular basis?
As a Buckhead resident, I wouldn't mind seeing (at a minimum) more frequent service on the 110 route, and I would LOVE for the Peachtree Streetcar to be realized.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 PM

Well, there you have it. I guess there are some of us Buckhead residents that want more public transit in addition to all the other congestion already on the streets of Buckhead. Do you actually plan to use these as your primary mode of operation or do you just want more transit for the sake of having more transit? And are you planning to do it in January when it is freezing as well as August when it is burning up outside?

I personally cannot be bothered as it makes absolutely no sense to walk PAST my car, go stand out in the elements just to go across or down the street to Publix or Lenox or the library, have to walk back to the bus/train stop WITH the purchased goods, ride back to the stop, walk back PAST my car again and into the house...oh and with a preschooler in tow. I also just don't have that kind of excess time in my schedule to basically waste. Interesting to know someone else from Buckhead actually wants more transit, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
As a Buckhead resident, I wouldn't mind seeing (at a minimum) more frequent service on the 110 route, and I would LOVE for the Peachtree Streetcar to be realized.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 PM

7,334 posts, read 6,468,213 times
Quote:
I get the feeling ppl on C-D just like to talk about mass transit, streetcars and transportation issues bc it has already been said a number of times that Buckhead transit is fine, the ppl living here are not riding it anyway, etc yet everyone wants to dream up ways to create more train, bus and now streetcar activity. ?????
What? Buckhead transit is "fine?" People don't USE IT? I guess you've never seen the masses of people on MARTA, the masses of people at the Lenox and Buckhead stations. The problem is that there isn't enough transit to meet the demand. 110 runs 15 minute headways at best and only at rush hour. It's frequently late northbound due to the very long ride through traffic from Arts Center or Five Points. There's plenty of room for improvement.
Quote:
Why not just leave the topic alone? Is anyone who actually lives in Buckhead trying to increase mass transit?
It would seem that many are.
Quote:
We have to live here after everyone else goes home. Maybe some ppl just don't want that lifestyle where they live???
Then perhaps the people that live there shouldn't have allowed the growth to happen.
Quote:
Buckhead is plenty fast and congested. We really don't need more mass transit just to convince someone Buckhead is some happening place trying to be on par with some northern city.
No one is proposing transit just to show off, maybe someone is, but they don't post here, and I sure haven't seen them. Just about every proposal I've seen put forth both professionally and here have been for useful transit.
Quote:
Is it acceptable to just leave it as it is or does every place inside the perimeter now need to be overrun with streetcars and stores and buses and train and to tons of foot traffic and even more ppl all over the place than are already in Buckhead on a regular basis?
You'd prefer to be overrun with cars? Let me let you in on a little secret, the people are already there, and aren't going away any time soon. Right now, most don't have a choice, or the transit choices for them are terrible, so they use cars. I guess you've never seen Lenox Square mall and the roads around it just before Christmas.
Quote:
Well, there you have it. I guess there are some of us Buckhead residents that want more public transit in addition to all the other congestion already on the streets of Buckhead.
You do realize that a good transit system can help that street congestion right? Why do you see it as the worst of both worlds? Why do you think transit will add to problems instead of help them?
Quote:
Do you actually plan to use these as your primary mode of operation or do you just want more transit for the sake of having more transit? And are you planning to do it in January when it is freezing as well as August when it is burning up outside?
I can't speak for the person you're responding to, but as someone who now works in Buckhead, and uses transit for all but the short drive from his house to the train station, my answer is yes. Yes, and "I do." This week, when the temperature won't climb above freezing, I'll be standing on the platform waiting for my train, then I'll make the short walk to my building from the bus stop, then I'll walk all the way back to the station in the afternoon, just like I do every single weekday now; rain or shine, hot or cold. While I may be alone in my exact commute, I'm not alone in this kind of commute, and I and many of the others that do it are not the less fortunate that have no choice. I have a choice, and I choose transit!
Quote:
I personally cannot be bothered as it makes absolutely no sense to walk PAST my car, go stand out in the elements just to go across or down the street to Publix or Lenox or the library, have to walk back to the bus/train stop WITH the purchased goods, ride back to the stop, walk back PAST my car again and into the house...oh and with a preschooler in tow. I also just don't have that kind of excess time in my schedule to basically waste. Interesting to know someone else from Buckhead actually wants more transit, however.
Well obviously there are trips that it doesn't make sense for. No one is going to force anyone to ride transit, but just because a few people can't or won't use it, doesn't mean we shouldn't make it available for those it works for.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM

I meant the ppl living in Buckhead don't use it (I am thinking of transit as a way of life buses, trains and rail 24/7 not just for a few hours around the time ppl go to work and leave work. I understood the 24/7 approach to be the focus of the thread. If we are just talking about adding more frequent turnaround between say 7-9 and 4-6 M-F and right around Lenox, no big deal. Who cares? I thought we were talking about infringing on th he REST of the neighborhood with all of that. Yes, I've had the displeasure of seeing Lenox on just a typical Sat afternoon. No need to wait for Christmas. It's bad. I go to Cumberland on peak days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What? Buckhead transit is "fine?" People don't USE IT? I guess you've never seen the masses of people on MARTA, the masses of people at the Lenox and Buckhead stations. The problem is that there isn't enough transit to meet the demand. 110 runs 15 minute headways at best and only at rush hour. It's frequently late northbound due to the very long ride through traffic from Arts Center or Five Points. There's plenty of room for improvement.

It would seem that many are.

Then perhaps the people that live there shouldn't have allowed the growth to happen.

No one is proposing transit just to show off, maybe someone is, but they don't post here, and I sure haven't seen them. Just about every proposal I've seen put forth both professionally and here have been for useful transit.

You'd prefer to be overrun with cars? Let me let you in on a little secret, the people are already there, and aren't going away any time soon. Right now, most don't have a choice, or the transit choices for them are terrible, so they use cars. I guess you've never seen Lenox Square mall and the roads around it just before Christmas.

You do realize that a good transit system can help that street congestion right? Why do you see it as the worst of both worlds? Why do you think transit will add to problems instead of help them?

I can't speak for the person you're responding to, but as someone who now works in Buckhead, and uses transit for all but the short drive from his house to the train station, my answer is yes. Yes, and "I do." This week, when the temperature won't climb above freezing, I'll be standing on the platform waiting for my train, then I'll make the short walk to my building from the bus stop, then I'll walk all the way back to the station in the afternoon, just like I do every single weekday now; rain or shine, hot or cold. While I may be alone in my exact commute, I'm not alone in this kind of commute, and I and many of the others that do it are not the less fortunate that have no choice. I have a choice, and I choose transit!

Well obviously there are trips that it doesn't make sense for. No one is going to force anyone to ride transit, but just because a few people can't or won't use it, doesn't mean we shouldn't make it available for those it works for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta