Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,791,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
Atlanta is catching up to San Francisco for the amount of tech jobs in the city, but cities like Raleigh still have a higher presence of those employed woin tech. Atlanta is just a great place to launch a startup and it's more affordable. The city has also had seen a fair share dessful startups staying put itCan't see the cost of living becoming ngned with some of the current highest. The city just doesn't have what the other cities have to offer, but maybe that's what makes it cool. I think we should stop comparing Atlanta to other cities and just be Atlanta.
We offer just as much as most cities especially by spring 2015. We have the most direct flights, beautiful topography (look at Houston topography), no toll roads ( drive through Chicago or Orlando and see how many tolls you will pay), always something to do, world class music festivals, world class festivals, highly ranked restaurant scene, great nightlife (everything closes at 1:30 in California), decent weather(look at the low temperature in Chicago tonight) we never had a natural disaster, beautiful women, it doesn't get dark until past 5:30 pm (look at what time it gets dark in Seattle), nice people are here, we had more visitors than Vegas last year, we got 3 old school radio stations, good strip clubs, etc. What more does a brother need lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think Atlanta is already on its way to being too expensive, maybe not as expensive LA right now but too expensive for what it is, especially given the low pay and lack of job growth there.

I have seen apartments renting in Decatur and Alpharetta for $2000 to $5000 a month, and I'm not talking brand-new developments either. There's no way on earth I would pay that kind of money to rent in Atlanta, much less its suburbs.
Only in a few neighborhoods. It will never have the widespread high cost of living of the world class cities of America.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,721,458 times
Unless, of course, those world class cities decline. Check out how Detroit has changed with regard to CoL, especially housing costs, over the last thirty five years.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
FYI. ....

Atlanta is cheap because it doesnt have huge mountains or bodies of water around the city to limit our growth. I thought everyone knew this??? So unless God plans on making it rain for 40 days and 40 nights and everything OTP flooding and turning into an ocean it will never happen. Unless you want to live in a Penthouse in Buckhead next to Justin Bieber you will find plenty of $600-$800 one bedroom apartments. Anyone who says otherwise is either trolling or out of the loop. No you will not find a new one bedroom luxury apartment in a hot intown neighborhood for $800 but if you look in other areas you will have plenty of options.

I think Atlanta's is one of the fee cities left that is cheap with plenty of amenities.

Instead of getting advice from these trolls who give out bad information constantly try contacting Promove.com to being your search for nice apartments! Good Luck!.
Plenty of in town apartments in the $600-$800 range?? Huh. I must not be looking hard enough! I don't know, I just feel for a southern city, Atlanta's rental properties have certainly skyrocketed in cost; especially in the city proper, and doesn't seemed be getting cheaper anytime soon.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 AM

994 posts, read 1,542,889 times
I'd say no. The salaries for professional jobs here would have to double or triple (or even quadruple) for the COL to go up that much.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Plenty of in town apartments in the $600-$800 range?? Huh. I must not be looking hard enough! I don't know, I just feel for a southern city, Atlanta's rental properties have certainly skyrocketed in cost; especially in the city proper, and doesn't seemed be getting cheaper anytime soon.
Yes like i said call Promove.com and ask for safe neighborhoods ITP north of 20 and see how many listing you will receive. Then read this entire post again and remember the people giving out horrible info. Those listings will be regular apartments not upscale apartments

Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,227,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Only in a few neighborhoods. It will never have the widespread high cost of living of the world class cities of America.
But the thing is, the neighborhoods worth living in in Atlanta are the ones that are expensive, suburbs included. As what the OP is experiencing, it is very hard to find a moderately priced apartment in a decent area. If it is a cheap apartment in a nice area, it is a dump of an apartment building like those owned by Habersham Properties or very old and small. If it is cheap outside of certain neighborhoods, you better believe its in a bad area, or the apartment complex is bad.

As the rents keep going up there, there are too many extremes in the housing options: either too expensive or cheap in a bad area.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,131,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
But the thing is, the neighborhoods worth living in in Atlanta are the ones that are expensive, suburbs included. areaAs what the OP is experiencing, it is very hard to find a moderately priced apartment in a decent . If it is a cheap apartment in a nice area, it is a dump of an apartment building like those owned by Habersham Properties or very old and small. If it is cheap outside of certain neighborhoods, you better believe its in a bad area, or the apartment complex is bad.

As the rents keep going up there, there are too many extremes in the housing options: either too expensive or cheap in a bad area.
What do you consider a "moderately priced apartment in a decent area?"

Old 01-08-2015, 08:20 AM

Check out Vinings/Smyrna and 85 north past 400. These areas are close to the city with cheap rent prices. They have tons of safe one bedroom apartments for $700+

Old 01-08-2015, 08:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,886,135 times
as the area gains population, we're going to become more dense. more people means a higher demand for land and rent. we won't be as cheap as we are now, that's for certain. however i don't think atlanta will ever have the rents of manhattan.

while atlanta is low-cost for a big city, there are certainly areas that have a lower CoL than we do. i remember driving through rural north carolina, near the border of virginia, with my family in 2005. we ate a huge dinner at this restaurant, and were flabbergasted when we discovered the cost of the meal was $19— even ten years ago that was nothing compared to what it costs to feed a family of four in atlanta. over time i think we will see more of a cost differential between the atlanta area and the rest of the southeast, which will hopefully be supported by increasing wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta