Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times

Advertisements

It's only Atlanta and other southern cities where white people have a stignma against buses. Plenty of white people are riding the bus in cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:50 AM

446 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's only Atlanta and other southern cities where white people have a stignma against buses. Plenty of white people are riding the bus in cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, and Boston.
true very true

Old 01-12-2015, 09:52 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,129,939 times
Another transit thread derailed into an argument about race, yippee. Hey, at least there's no pointless streetcar discussion, so that's encouraging.

As for Marietta's trolley, eh...I'm a fan of LRT and HRT and grade-separated BRT and all that jazz, but to see Cobb County embrace any kind of public transit is encouraging. I hope that both this trolley and Tim Lee's proposed BRT line are successful, because it would show the skeptics (well, the people who believe them,) that public transit isn't the evil that some circles make it out to be.

- skbl17

Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
This is what I am getting at. In other areas, demand riders are comfortable riding wheel-based transit, whether you call it trolley or bus. In Atlanta, people are shocked if demand riders tell others they ride city buses. Suburban commuter buses are acceptable.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Another transit thread derailed into an argument about race, yippee. Hey, at least there's no pointless streetcar discussion, so that's encouraging.

As for Marietta's trolley, eh...I'm a fan of LRT and HRT and grade-separated BRT and all that jazz, but to see Cobb County embrace any kind of public transit is encouraging. I hope that both this trolley and Tim Lee's proposed BRT line are successful, because it would show the skeptics (well, the people who believe them,) that public transit isn't the evil that some circles make it out to be.

- skbl17
Cobb has had CCT for 25 years and yet they still don't run it on Sundays.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is what I am getting at. In other areas, demand riders are comfortable riding wheel-based transit, whether you call it trolley or bus. In Atlanta, people are shocked if demand riders tell others they ride city buses. Suburban commuter buses are acceptable.
People might be shocked that they would submit to riding such poor quality service bus transit when a car is much more efficient. That isn't racist... It is common sense. But go ahead and keep dropping the race card. When you have nothing to support a weak argument, cry race... That is what black people do (am I doing this right?)

Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM

209 posts, read 276,249 times
Christ on a cracker. Annualize it, people! Rail vehicles- expensive up front, cheap maintenance and upkeep. Tire vehicles- cheap up front, expensive maintenance and upkeep. Rail is the better value if there is heavy, frequent use over a long period of time, while tire vehicles are the better value if use is less heavy, less frequent, or impermanent. If Marietta does not plan on running the trolley as heavily as Atlanta is running its streetcar (and I don't imagine it is), then the tire trolley is the better value.

White people use buses. I am white and I use buses. I see other white people on buses. End of argument.

Is a trolley a streetcar or a bus? It's a F***ING TROLLEY. Maybe Marietta officials prefer the look of a trolley compared to a typical bus. That's their decision.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Just basing it off facts. A trolley not on wheels or powered by overhead lines is a bus. It doesn't get a special name because it is in Cobb county.
The white people comment is coming from the fact that white people will not ride a bus, unless their only choice in many southern cities. When was the last time you rode a bus?
Doesn't Ga. Tech call it's little buzz bus thing the Tech Trolley? Hey, if those smart folks can do that, I think the mayor of Mayretta can do so, too!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
I'm white. I don't ride the bus. Why? It's because my car is much more comfortable and gets me where I'm going quicker than a bus. That's not racist. It might be busist, but it's not racist. And, yeah, I rode the bus when I lived in Boston. Why? Because it was prohibitive for me to own, garage and park a car. Not so in Atlanta. I'm sure the same can be said of several of the other cities you noted.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
The tech trolley is a bus. The tire-based trolleys you are referring to are trolleybuses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus They get their power from overhead lines, like streetcars. Just because skirts are thrown on a bus, doesn't hide the fact it is a bus.
I don't know what's so dang important about overhead wires. Folks here in Atlanta breathed a huge sigh of relief when that tangled spiderweb finally came down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta