Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Cheetah should have a welcome party for them
That's where all lunch meetings are held. I hear their lunch buffet is on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Nice!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I'm really glad for them, but emotionally torn about it all. In order to make it all work financially with the move, they laid off a whole ton of people in multiple rounds of surprise layoffs over the course of the last year. And I'm talking about long-term, loyal, veteran, hard-working, excellent employees. Including some really smart software architects who designed entire systems and such.

And they laid me off (one of the non-geniuses, but I was at least well-liked there and knew my stuff) in one of those rounds in June, but it all went fine for me, I got a severance and got a new job pretty quickly, and it was time for a change for me anyway. But I just really miss my friends there, and for a long time was really looking forward to the new campus, which would have been a much improved commute for me, and just a cool place to work. I worked at NCR almost 6 years.

Oh and guess what, I don't see any news coverage of any of this anywhere amid all the hoopla, but they just laid a bunch of people off on Monday morning. Including at least one of my friends. Literally on the day they opened the new office. That is just... harsh.

I mean, I get it, they want new blood, fresh start, clean slate, all that. Big companies have layoffs, it happens, it's how business works. But I am going to be trying to stick with smaller companies in my career from here out.

Anyway, looks like a great building. I'm sure I'll get a ton of inside looks at it from all my NCR friends on FB. NCR is a successful company and will be great for the city and Midtown and everything. It's just that the corporate world is harsh, disloyal, back-stabbing, devious behind the scenes, and the press releases of smiling people. No different situation at Coca Cola, etc.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:08 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm really glad for them, but emotionally torn about it all. In order to make it all work financially with the move, they laid off a whole ton of people in multiple rounds of surprise layoffs over the course of the last year. And I'm talking about long-term, loyal, veteran, hard-working, excellent employees. Including some really smart software architects who designed entire systems and such.

And they laid me off (one of the non-geniuses, but I was at least well-liked there and knew my stuff) in one of those rounds in June, but it all went fine for me, I got a severance and got a new job pretty quickly, and it was time for a change for me anyway. But I just really miss my friends there, and for a long time was really looking forward to the new campus, which would have been a much improved commute for me, and just a cool place to work. I worked at NCR almost 6 years.

Oh and guess what, I don't see any news coverage of any of this anywhere amid all the hoopla, but they just laid a bunch of people off on Monday morning. Including at least one of my friends. Literally on the day they opened the new office. That is just... harsh.

I mean, I get it, they want new blood, fresh start, clean slate, all that. Big companies have layoffs, it happens, it's how business works. But I am going to be trying to stick with smaller companies in my career from here out.

Anyway, looks like a great building. I'm sure I'll get a ton of inside looks at it from all my NCR friends on FB. NCR is a successful company and will be great for the city and Midtown and everything. It's just that the corporate world is harsh, disloyal, back-stabbing, devious behind the scenes, and the press releases of smiling people. No different situation at Coca Cola, etc.
Sorry to hear - it is the same everywhere.

If a company spends many millions to build a new HQ in the middle of the city it's clear they aren't catering to suburban families...it's all about young (and cheaper) labor.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:

damn bro

Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Thanks for providing such a valuable perspective primaltech. Sorry to hear that happened, but glad to hear it worked out for you. It's healthy to hear the other side of this, the side not dictated by the PR team of NCR.

Moving to a smaller company can be a good move. But sometimes small is bad, in regards to stability and benefits. I think a key is to try to work for a company that isn't publicly traded.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
You're welcome, glad to share. And I should clarify that besides how it ended and some bitter feelings there, overall I had a great experience at NCR.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Thanks for providing such a valuable perspective primaltech. Sorry to hear that happened, but glad to hear it worked out for you. It's healthy to hear the other side of this, the side not dictated by the PR team of NCR.

Moving to a smaller company can be a good move. But sometimes small is bad, in regards to stability and benefits. I think a key is to try to work for a company that isn't publicly traded.
Private isn't any better. Worked for a global leader in biologics and they laid people off every couple of years. The last round left a bad taste in mouth so I got out.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
NCR was probably too top-heavy and needed a restart with the completion of the new HQ. Too many managers, not enough cooks. Now they can attempt to appeal to younger, hip folks who want to live closer to the urban core. I hate to say it, but the Tech industry can be very ageist.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 AM

93 posts, read 143,499 times
Quote:
And they laid me off (one of the non-geniuses, but I was at least well-liked there and knew my stuff) in one of those rounds in June, but it all went fine for me, I got a severance and got a new job pretty quickly, and it was time for a change for me anyway. But I just really miss my friends there, and for a long time was really looking forward to the new campus, which would have been a much improved commute for me, and just a cool place to work. I worked at NCR almost 6 years
I had same experience, I worked in a small office in Tucson and they laid off 1/2 of us, and whoever stayed they offered to relocate or terminate. I was laid off but before I was terminated they offered me a position in Atlanta, and provided relocation.

i've been waking up @ 5:30am to get to midtown, great price to pay, but all in all the move was great and the building is nice. I do get to work from home a day or two during the week which eases the pain of commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta