Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,357,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So what was going to happen in 2016 if a Republican becomes President and begins enforcing Federal law? While these acts make a good statement, they still can't technically legalize it until the Federal Government does. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

For the record, I'm against recreational legalization, but I would love to see it dropped from being a Scheduled I substance to Scheduled II, to join the ranks of oh, I don't know, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine#Local_anesthetic, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphine, etc. There is no reason to keep it in such a highly prohibited state, prohibiting research, while much more dangerous substances are used and dispensed regularly. Unfortunately, any such action to change this must be done at the Federal level and must be done reasonably (i.e. calling for straight legalization will fail, calling for medical research may not).
Calling for legalization will not fail in the long term. A majority of the country already believes it should be legal. More states will legalize it in 2016. We just need to demand that our leaders act according to the people's wishes.

It will be a slower walk to federal legalization, but it will get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,763,980 times
The law is more than what was there before--immediate immunity from prosecution for the importation of cannibis oil for medical purposes, and there will be a committee to recommend the best way to grow and distribute within the state. If nothing else this codifies Georgia's position that there is a medical use for maijuanna. For those in favor of this legislation, it is a start.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,913,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Because that argument is pretty much a typical red herring statement...and designed to lead people into the perennial false choice/false dilemma fallacy of the "guns or butter" argument (military or social welfare).

So naw, won't take the bait.

But hey, since you are an alleged Libertarian or have supposed Libertarian-leanings and all...you should be up in arms with the rest of us about the Governor and the Republican dominated State Legislature's lack of political backbone on the cannibis oil issue, eh?

Being that you are for "less gubment regalations" and all, right?

Riiiiiiiight.......
Exactly. That's the same as making the argument "oooh, you're so up in arms about climate change but not about the Sun going supernova in 1 billion years."

Old 01-17-2015, 03:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,120,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Wow, I knew this board was left leaning and a bit out there, but I also thought the left believed "tolerance" and "diversity" and people from all backgrounds bringing their shared experience to the table. I guess that only applies when you agree with someone, otherwise they're just an idiot.
That does not mean blindly agreeing with anything somebody says. If I hear someone make a racist comment, for instance, and I don't feel it's going to put anyone in physical danger by speaking out against it, I will do so. What Nathan Deal is beyond just political pettiness; he has endangered the well-being of children who need medicinal marijuana in order to control their seizures.

I seriously doubt this would have happened under Jason Carter.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:08 PM

7,343 posts, read 6,475,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That does not mean blindly agreeing with anything somebody says. If I hear someone make a racist comment, for instance, and I don't feel it's going to put anyone in physical danger by speaking out against it, I will do so. What Nathan Deal is beyond just political pettiness; he has endangered the well-being of children who need medicinal marijuana in order to control their seizures.

I seriously doubt this would have happened under Jason Carter.
Oh, of course, the "think of the kids!" hyperbole. What's hilarious is that no one has answered the question I posed earlier about what happens if the Republicans win the presidency in 2016 and begin enforcing Federal law? Where would that put Georgia's medical MJ law?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,120,008 times
Quote:
Oh, of course, the "think of the kids!" hyperbole. What's hilarious is that no one has answered the question I posed earlier about what happens if the Republicans win the presidency in 2016 and begin enforcing Federal law? Where would that put Georgia's medical MJ law?
Don't be tone-deaf like that. Have you even heard some of the stories about children before they were treated by medicinal marijuana?

Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,610,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Wow, I knew this board was left leaning and a bit out there, but I also thought the left believed "tolerance" and "diversity" and people from all backgrounds bringing their shared experience to the table. I guess that only applies when you agree with someone, otherwise they're just an idiot.

I may not agree with everything Deal does, but to call him an "idiot" and people who voted for him racist and other names is really mature. I guess unless someone agrees with you, they must be stupid, backwards, a racist, etc. Thankfully we have more backward racist idiots in this state and less smart people like many of the posters on this board.

Too bad many of you aren't as up in arms about the crushing debt we all face as Americans as you are about pot.

Yeah, thank god for those backward racist idiots that far outnumber smart people. I very much enjoy being from a state that's basically last in education and first in divorce, welfare, and obesity-related health problems. Keep up the status quo, we have a stereotype to maintain!

By the way, have you seen how much money Colorado is bringing in right now?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,285,981 times
They along with the Libertarians will simply be painted and demonized as heartless authoritarian/statist/racist/moronic hypocrites.

In other words, more of the same ol' same ol'.....

Quote:

Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,279,572 times
Quote:
Perhaps if Georgia and other states get behind it then the Feds will change their policy. Having a defeatist posture never won a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta