Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times

Advertisements

I moved here from NC and I have a 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser. I went to get my Georgia tag and the tax is $2200.00. This seems to be a little high on a 8 year old car. I bought a 2013 Ford( while in GA) and the tax was not even close to this. The $2200.00 seems to be rather high. I'm just curious does this seem high to any one else. I ask repeatedly at the tag office about it being so high but they just state that is what it is with no explanation. Any help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:13 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Paying a TVAT of $2200, at the new 2015 rate of 7%, means the put the fair market value at something like $31,500.

Using KBB.com, the typical sales price for a private party sales in the neighborhood of $26-28K based on condition. From a dealership, $28-31K based on condition. So, their assumed FMV does sound like it's on the high side, but it's not like double what they are actually selling for.

You can appeal FMV for your vehicle at the county level if you think it's unjustly high. If you got it dropped to $25k you'd save about $500 in taxes.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:13 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
It is ridiculous. It is crazy high. It is not only in Fulton but statewide. Short version...people wanted the annual car tax (ad valorem) ended and the biggie: it used to be that private individual sales were free of sales tax where buying a car from a dealer was not. The auto dealers lobbied hard and won. Now, when you buy a car in Georgia, instead of sales tax or annual ad valorem taxes, you pay one 6-7% fee (I cant remember which exactly as it has changed a bit as it was phased in). For Georgia residents... not a bad trade as the sales tax plus ad valorem over the life of the car would be more than that.

Down sides: 1. Buying from an individual doesn't save nearly as much money which is what the dealers wanted and got. 2. MOVING FROM OUT OF STATE: These people get royally 5crewed. You have already paid sales tax in the state you moved from and essentially have to pay it again to register your car in Georgia. There are cases where a family with 3 or 4 modest cars having to cough up 3-5000 dollars at one time. So here you are moving to the state (usually with a job) so you will be adding positively to the state economy and we want growth and people to move here but when you do the state basically robs you blind to register your cars. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but nonresidents dont vote so there is no reason for politicians to care. It doesn't affect those already in the state the same way.

I moved my mother here earlier this year and it was $700 for a 2002 Tacoma. I feel your pain.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Well ... just to make sure this isn't a communication issue.

This tax is not an ad valorem tax. It replaced that annual tax. That tax is a one time tax (TAVT).

But yes there is a whole slew of people who end up ahead or behind based on what kind of cars they have and how frequently they get another car.

I think the the state needs to create a better payment plan for people moving in from out of state. The cost isn't necessarily too much if it is spread over a few years compared to the old ad valorem tax.

The only other idea would be to have an ad valorem tax just for those that moved here from out of state with a car. The new system will continue to operate for every resident that buys a car, while a resident of Georgia.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 AM

124 posts, read 152,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well ... just to make sure this isn't a communication issue.

This tax is not an ad valorem tax. It replaced that annual tax. That tax is a one time tax (TAVT).
???

Might want to check what the AV in TAVT stand for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta