Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,180,627 times

Advertisements

More jobs for Midtown....

Quote:
The company on Tuesday said about 500 people currently in marketing, accounting, information technology and other departments will either move to Atlanta or Norfolk, Va.

“We are still in the process of making that determination,” spokesman Robin Chapman said. The exact number moving to the company’s Midtown offices on Peachtree Street will depend on who is willing to relocate.

Norfolk Southern has about 2,800 management and operational employees in Atlanta, which will now be one of two company headquarters after Norfolk.
Norfolk Southern expects more workers in Atlanta | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,792,177 times
I'm sure plenty of people especially young people would rather In Atlanta than in the 757 lol

Old 01-28-2015, 05:41 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,040,939 times
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that jobs will be added. From what I have heard, Norfolk Southern is one of the most insular, nepotistic, good-ol-boy network/companies around.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,834,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that jobs will be added. From what I have heard, Norfolk Southern is one of the most insular, nepotistic, good-ol-boy network/companies around.
These jobs are primarily office support functions (IT, etc). Yes, the have certainly earned the reputation you are describing, but it's significantly less accurate at the corporate level where employees are not unionized.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,491,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm sure plenty of people especially young people would rather In Atlanta than in the 757 lol
Maybe, but Norfolk/Virginia Beach aka "The 7 Cities of the Hampton Roads" has something Atlanta doesn't have, the beach. Also it is a very transient city with a boatload of young people in the military and a large naval training facility. Young people still tend to gravitate towards an East Coast metro on the beach before being in an inland major city. Never underestimate the appeal of the beach.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Maybe, but Norfolk/Virginia Beach aka "The 7 Cities of the Hampton Roads" has something Atlanta doesn't The ve, the beach. Also it is a very transient city with a boatload of young people in the military and a large naval training facility. Young people still tend to gravitate towards an East Coast metro on the beach before being in an inland major city. Never underestimate the appeal of the beach.
I lived there for 3 years. The entire state of VA sucks! The best thing about the area was driving to DC or NYC to party/etc. The nightlife sucks, the restaurant scene sucks, it's boring, etc. I didn't know any better because I was younger when I lived there so it was ok. It reminds me of Jacksonville, Fl. The beach also sucks. Brown ocean water, seaweeds everywhere, women can't wear thongs, boring clubs on the beach, police giving out tickets for everything, etc.. It ok for people who can't afford or like DC but still want to live in the region or if you love fishing or if your career is Navy related. I did enjoy hanging out at HU and ODU. I did get to visit all of the east coast, I survived my first hurricane there and I enjoyed my time there but that area is just my so behind.

Last edited by afdinatl; 01-28-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,491,430 times
Quote:
I lived there for 3 years. The entire state of VA sucks! The best thing about the area was driving to DC or NYC to party/etc. The nightlife sucks, the restaurant scene sucks, it's boring, etc. I didn't know any better because I was younger when I lived there so it was ok. It reminds me of Jacksonville, Fl. The beach also sucks. It ok for people who can't afford or like DC but still want to live in the region or if you love fishing or if your career is Navy related. I did enjoy hanging out at HU and ODU..
Yeah, I see your opinion is a little skewed, but that is all I can say. I've always found something fun to do in either of the other 2 major metros (Richmond or Hampton Roads) in VA outside of NoVa portion of the DMV. Especially the Hampton Roads, the 2 large HBCUs always made life fun there.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,379,888 times
Quote:
I lived there for 3 years. The entire state of VA sucks! The best thing about the area was driving to DC or NYC to party/etc.
WOW, that's quite shocking that an American would find Virginia, one of our most historic and important states, "boring." Of course if your standard of "excitement" is partying only, I guess it would be. If you find no interest in Jamestown, Williamsburg, Cape Henry, Yorktown, the birthplaces and homes of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (plus 6 other Presidents), the many Civil War battle sites, Appomattox, Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Tangier Island, Chesapeake Bay, Busch Gardens, and the beautiful scenery, you must not take much interest in your country or nature.

Virginia is worth a visit if for no other reason to see Monticello and Mount Vernon. Both are gorgeous and awe-inspiring when you realize George Washington himself walked the halls, ate there, slept there, and sat on that very porch and watched the Potomac flow by. Same feelings for Jefferson with Monticello.

And I'm not just saying it cuz it's my home state. I agree that Virginia's cities are pathetic... With the exception of a handful.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, I seeur opinion is a little skewed, but that is all I can say. I've always found something fun to do in either of the other 2 major metros (Richmond or Hampton Roads) in VA outside of NoVa portion of the DMV. Especially the Hampton Roads, the 2 large HBCUs always made life fun there.
I had fun there but I knew that I was leaving anyway so it didn't matter. I was stationed there for a few years. I did enjoy the colleges, being close to other big cities, driving in the tunnels, etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
WOW, that's quite shocking that an American would find Virginia, one of our most historic and important states, "boring." Of course if your standard of "excitement" is partying only, I guess it would be. If you find no interest in Jamestown, Williamsburg, Capehistoric Yorktown, the birthplaces and homes of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (plus 6 other Presidents), the many Civil War battle sites, Appomattox, Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Tangier Island, Chesapeake Bay, Busch Gardens, and the beautiful scenery, you must not take much interest in your country or nature.

Virginia is worth a visit if for no other reason to see Monticello and Mount Vernon. Both are gorgeous and awe-inspiring when you realize George Washington himself walked the halls, ate there, slept there, and sat on that very porch and watched the Potomac flow by. Same feelings for Jefferson with Monticello.

And I'm not just saying it cuz it's my home state. I agree that Virginia's cities are pathetic... With the exception of a handful.
This was close to 10 years ago so things might have changed since then. I lived in Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News. I was in my early 20 ' s when I was there. Its not a bad place but it just wasnt for me just like Atlanta might not be the place for someone else. I visited all of the historic sites, went to Bush Gardens, ran up Mt. Trashmore every weekend, went to the beach, etc. I just would rather the vibe of larger cities. I can't bad mouth traffic there since I live in Atlanta but hopefully traffic is better at the HRBT. Not to mention the traffic in the summer trying to leave or go to DC on 95 was ridiculous. Crime was bad. Most of the nightlife options for blacks were all ghetto overall it's a cool place if someone is looking for a mid sized city like Jacksonville or Raleigh. I did love driving south on 64 leaving Hampton and seeing on the Navy ships out on the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta