Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

hi will, i'm daniel. i have seen you bumping a lot of old threads recently. thinking about old times? me too tbh. atlanta has changed a lot in just the past 10 years, it seems like a foreign place with all of these corporate type people taking over everything.

when were you in ATL? there is a channel you might be interested in on youtube, called 5ninthavenueproject. it's a collection of recordings from nelson sullivan, who dedicated the last 7 years of his life to filming it. he seemed to always find himself around up and coming celebrities. he went back and forth between atlanta and new york in the 80s. anyway i think i remember a video with rupaul before he got famous, in one of the houses you're describing. you should check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
That has to be pretty much exactly it, Gulch, and probably a direct relation to the section of Peachtree Street almost exactly to the west (also long gone, I would guess, the landmark for me was the Krystal that was there, on the corner of, what, 10th Street?) known in the hippie era as "The Strip", at Peachtree and 10th Street in Midtown Atlanta.
If it helps Will, the Krystal was on the SE corner of Peachtree & 7th Streets. Across the street was the turquoise and white Atlanta Cabana Hotel, the one that looked like it was designed by Doris Day and transported directly from Miami Beach or Vegas.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
If it helps Will, the Krystal was on the SE corner of Peachtree & 7th Streets. Across the street was the turquoise and white Atlanta Cabana Hotel, the one that looked like it was designed by Doris Day and transported directly from Miami Beach or Vegas.
Your comment is ironic in that Doris Day and Sammy Davis Jr. were part owners of the Cabana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Cabana_Motel

Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Your comment is ironic in that Doris Day and Sammy Davis Jr. were part owners of the Cabana.

I had no idea!

Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Quote:
I had no idea!

Was there a movement to save and renovate it?

Was there an outcry?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Was there a movement to save and renovate it?

Was there an outcry?

Yes, there was! I don't remember who was behind it, but there was a proposal to turn it into a new boutique Hotel.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, there was! I don't remember who was behind it, but there was a proposal to turn it into a new boutique Hotel.
I think lack of money on the part of fledgling 'boutique' hotel developers was the problem at the time. Fifteen years later, that clearly has changed with advent of hotels such as the Glenn, the Ellis and the Clermont.

In our current scenario, they would have been jumping on the Atlanta Cabana.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 PM

783 posts, read 1,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
hi will, i'm daniel. i have seen you bumping a lot of old threads recently. thinking about old times? me too tbh. atlanta has changed a lot in just the past 10 years, it seems like a foreign place with all of these corporate type people taking over everything.

when were you in ATL? there is a channel you might be interested in on youtube, called 5ninthavenueproject. it's a collection of recordings from nelson sullivan, who dedicated the last 7 years of his life to filming it. he seemed to always find himself around up and coming celebrities. he went back and forth between atlanta and new york in the 80s. anyway i think i remember a video with rupaul before he got famous, in one of the houses you're describing. you should check it out!
I sure will check that out, Daniel...

I lived in Atlanta from 1980-83, always in the North East area, at least that's what they called it then... starting at 590 Sherwood Road and ending at the older part of the Peachtree-Battle area, those old houses right behind where Oxford Books once ruled... those houses are very likely all torn down by now...

Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I sure will check that out, Daniel...

I lived in Atlanta from 1980-83, always in the North East area, at least that's what they called it then... starting at 590 Sherwood Road and ending at the older part of the Peachtree-Battle area, those old houses right behind where Oxford Books once ruled... those houses are very likely all torn down by now...
Au contraire. Peachtree Hills has Historic District status and has been hotter than a firecracker for some years now.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM

783 posts, read 1,162,676 times
Quote:
Au contraire. Peachtree Hills has Historic District status and has been hotter than a firecracker for some years now.
I hardly pass through that way these years, but may take a ride through there next trip, time permitting.

Now, if there were still an Oxford Books, and Oxford Too, the old Peaches Records, or even the Turtles, I'd have a reason...

I wonder, is the old Burger King still on the hill?

Back in 1982 it was a hot spot late at night, they were open indoors 24 hours.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta