Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 29,137 times

Advertisements

Our extensive search regarding a move this summer has PTC at the top of our list. Good schools, golf cart, running paths, etc. I haven't personally visited yet but it seems like a great place to live. However, real estate is SO much more expensive there than in the surrounding cities! Anything under 200,000 is old, fixer upper, etc. 250,000 is our max budget and I'm so sad about the quality of home that that amount would buy.

Is it worth it? Is it that much better than Newnan where we could get so much more house for our money? I know Cowetta county's school do not rank as high but are there other extreme differences? We're clearly going to have to give on something (school, house, location). I just wondered how others perceived the difference between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
What about Fayetteville? Close to PTC and has excellent schools also.

Newnan is more of a Mayberry type town with a lot of history, Southern charm, old houses, cultural texture, socioeconomic diversity. That socioeconomic diversity probably brings down the scores of the public schools. And some residents are sending their kids to the well-regarded private school, Heritage School.

Pros and cons--PTC is more of a middle class, strip mall-ish bubble, so to speak. That homogeneity has its benefits, as well. Relative safety, great soccer leagues, great schools, subdivisions, golf cart paths. However, the schools have driven the price of housing up, and there are a ton of dated 70s and 80s houses there. . .

Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB412 View Post
Our extensive search regarding a move this summer has PTC at the top of our list. Good schools, golf cart, running paths, etc. I haven't personally visited yet but it seems like a great place to live. However, real estate is SO much more expensive there than in the surrounding cities! Anything under 200,000 is old, fixer upper, etc. 250,000 is our max budget and I'm so sad about the quality of home that that amount would buy.

Is it worth it? Is it that much better than Newnan where we could get so much more house for our money? I know Cowetta county's school do not rank as high but are there other extreme differences? We're clearly going to have to give on something (school, house, location). I just wondered how others perceived the difference between the two.
Because of the exceptionally high quality of the schools in Peachtree City, it really is considered to be that much better in Peachtree City than in Newnan.

The schools in Newnan and Coweta County are good. But the schools in Peachtree City are excellent and considered to be amongst the best in both the state of Georgia and the Southeastern U.S.

The quality of the schools along with the perceived higher quality-of-life (golf trails, lower crime, increased police protection, etc) in Peachtree City is most likely the reason why the real estate prices may be substantially higher in Peachtree City than they are in Newnan.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,279 times
Newnan is very nice. Like other posters state it has an "older" small town vibe compared to a "planned suburb" vibe that Peachtree City exudes. Newnan is more socially and economically diverse and feels more "southern"; Peachtree City seems like it could exist ANYWHERE in the United States and is full of transplants from the North and West. As far as homes in Peachtree City being "older" that, too, is relative. Many homes in Newnan's historic district are well over 100 years old; many subdivisions on the edges of town are new builds. The portion of Coweta County most like Peachtree City in my opinion would be the Northgate High district (Newnan Cross Roads area east of Interstate 85 going back toward Peachtree City) This is further from Newnan's downtown (it is west of 85). This area features suburban style subdivision and has a similar feel to Peachtree City. Newnan also has MUCH BETTER interstate connectivity. You will find that the more economical homes in Peachtree City are older ones toward the center of the development (some late 50's early 60's era ranches/ capecods and many, many 1970's cedar-sided homes) That being said, many of these homes are in nice neighborhoods and have been updated over time. It really just boils down to where you would be happiest. Living in Peachtree City I can guarantee you will be visiting Newnan often, even if its just to get on the interstate or go to the Ashley Park development to go shopping.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM

216 posts, read 298,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The portion of Coweta County most like Peachtree City in my opinion would be the Northgate High district (Newnan Cross Roads area east of Interstate 85 going back toward Peachtree City) This is further from Newnan's downtown (it is west of 85). This area features suburban style subdivision and has a similar feel to Peachtree City. Newnan also has MUCH BETTER interstate connectivity. You will find that the more economical homes in Peachtree City are older ones toward the center of the development (some late 50's early 60's era ranches/ capecods and many, many 1970's cedar-sided homes) That being said, many of these homes are in nice neighborhoods and have been updated over time. It really just boils down to where you are would be happiest. Living in Peachtree City I can guarantee you will be visiting Newnan often, even if its just to get on the interstate or go to the Ashley Park development to go shopping.
Funny, I was going to mention the same thing…..

We lived in Peachtree City about 7yrs ago. My wife currently still works in PTC. When we were looking to move we ran into the same issues the OP is describing. I found my way thru the area known as Sharpsburg trying to find an alternate way to work. Even back then trying to leave the Wilksmoor Village area back North on 74 was a serious P.I.A. We decided to move and still live in Sharpsburg off of Fisher Road in the “Northgate” school cluster. We love it! We have a much bigger house than we would have gotten otherwise in PTC just on the other side of the county line. Fayette has excellent schools, but the schools in our area- particularly Cannongate and Northgate are good schools. My wife can still get to her Job in PTC in about 7mins and I can jump on the interstate to head up to the airport area. It’s actually a lot more convenient with interstate access. As the poster above stated you will more than likely be going between Newnan and Peachtree City a lot. This area is convenient to them both as well as Tyrone. Takes about 10 mins to get to Bullsboro exit and as I stated anywhere from 7-10 to PTC. Even though this area is known as Sharpsburg (unincorporated Coweta) it is actually quite far from the city of Sharpsburg and closer to Tyrone/PTC than anything. One advantage to Peachtree City is that you do have the paths and have the option of bicycling or using a golf cart to get almost anywhere in the city. Where we live you have to drive everywhere, but then again Peachtree city is special in that case.

Newnan is a bit further. IT takes me anywhere from 22-25 mins to get home from the airport. To go to Bullsboro you would have to add about 10 more mins. There are some areas are considered Newnan off of Collinsworth exit 56 just on the other side of the Interstate. In that case the commute would be about the same give or take a few. If you are talking downtown Newnan it would be about 40mins from the airport and about 20-25 mins to Peachtree City line.

I guess a lot of it depends on you and where you would be working along with the things you enjoy.

Just my experience, take from it what you will…..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 29,137 times
Thank you all for your help. We are coming down this weekend just to get a feel of the area.

My husband will be working at the airport too, kayoticworld so we especially enjoyed your input.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM

216 posts, read 298,484 times
Well with your hubby at the airport I would seriously look at the area mentioned. My commute is so much better and your husband will appreciate being able to roll right on by that hwy 74 mess. Many of my neighbors are ex PTC residents and they all overwhelmingly express the same sentiments.

Feel free to Dieect message me if you have any questions.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 11,792 times
kayoticworld has it right in terms of the commute to airport. We looked at those briefly but actually chose Tyrone and still we take 85 to Collinsworth road half the time to avoid 74 traffic. Those homes just on the other side of the county line are an excellent choice, unless of course you can find a short sale in near perfect condition in Tyrone like we did

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,644 times
There are lots of nice homes in Newnan about the McCollum-Sharpsburg exit and you don't have to go anywhere near Bullsboro Dr. Look at Lake Redwine on Happy Valley Circle...nice neighborhood, easy interstate exit via Cedar Creek Road to Hwy 29. Wide variety of price ranges.

Not sure if Arbor Springs is in your price range, but super easy hwy access there.

Look at neighborhoods off McCollum-Sharpsburg on the east side of the interstate too.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:20 AM

893 posts, read 790,464 times
Newnan has tons of houses that aren't OLD. Summergrove alone has 2200, yes 2200. Lots of new shopping much better than PTC. Yes we don't have cart paths. Coweta county has a lot of expanding to do yet too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta