Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I shared a co-ed doem at GTech (ULC) but it was same sex within the room. So what happens for women and men who do not want to room with the opposite sex. I guess a person can just specify he/she wants a single gender room? I would not want to share a room with guys. Athletes on the hall with all of their nastiness (e.g., spitting on the internal stairs in the stairwells) was bad enough for me.
I think it was to be done on a case-by-case basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Uh pretty much most ppl stay on campus when the schools has the dorm space for it.... Me and my friends lived in the dorms entire time. Most ppl did as they also provided the nicer suites for the upperclassmen and so why not? Most of us also did not have a car. I assume it's a check this box for single gender room and this b box for mixed gender. I would hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would hope it's an option, not a requirement. And how many live in dorms past freshman year anyway?

Two of my three sons shared apartments with females during college, platonically. They were expecting the girls would be neater than the guys. It wasn't the case.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
From what i heard on the news report, its bring your own roommate.

You have to opt in, and sounded like you and your roommate need to pick each other to be matched.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Why is this even a controversy in the 21st century? Good grief.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:50 PM

668 posts, read 993,989 times
When I visited my alma mater as a prospective student, the dorm I stayed in had co-ed bathrooms. The host student I was staying with insisted this wasn't an issue, since it was an English style dorm separated into towers, with each tower only having around 4 rooms per floor. Since the floor I was staying on was all singles, the chance I would run into anyone was slim. Sure enough, the next morning as I was getting ready to get into the shower, a female upperclass student walked in and said hello like it was no big deal. Needless to say I did not apply for that dorm when I went.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Artificial environments breed artificial, and therefore often negative, results. While that doesn't argue necessarily for having women and men in the same dorm room, it does argue very vigorously against single-sex floors in dormitories.

This was a generation ago, but the dormitories at the university I attended were in two groups - the (then) traditional men-here-women-there arrangement and floors of suites, each suite with three rooms and a small bathroom. The suites were single-sex, but the suites on a floor were half men half women. The demeanor of the people living in these different arrangements varied I believe quite closely correlated to which arrangement they lived in - and the effect was especially noticeable among the men. The men living in the single-sex arrangement were more chauvinistic and sophomoric, and behaved in a generally more antisocial manner. I worked as an assistant to the director of the physical plant and had an opportunity to see in black and white the effect of this difference on maintenance. The single-sex arrangement simply required more work to maintain, even though its structure actually lent itself to more efficient maintenance (one large bathroom instead of six or seven small bathrooms).

As with anything, the more someone is exposed to something the more consideration they develop toward it. Clearly, there is no good that can come out of randomly putting two young people who don't know each other together in a bedroom where (only) one of the two may be sexually attracted to the other. The reality is that ensuring that requires a lot more work than the mindless division of men and women. With the mindless approach discredited, and the seemingly intractable challenge of filling double-occupancy bedrooms set aside, it seems to me that mixing different living arrangements together on the same dormitory floor likely will have a substantially positive effect, at the very least, on the men if not on everyone.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Quite possibly the worse idea I have EVER heard of.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
I read an article where it was being driven by Gay students and siblings more than boyfriend/girlfriend.

Still, I think it generates more issues than it solves. They don't have to live on campus. Also, there are many young women and young men who prefer more separation and privacy.

My experience was that the co-ed floors tended to be the rowdiest, although that was in the early days of co-ed floors when it was unique.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
We must have gone to university on different planets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: