Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Ride a bike and you'll notice the hills as well.
Or walk or run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I always laugh whenever someone suggests that Atlanta sucks because "there's no water" or "there's no riverfront" or "Downtown should be on a river!". For those posters and prospective residents who claim that Atlanta's somehow lacking without a "major water feature", what do you suggest? Flood the Downtown Connector (politically and economically unfeasible)? Eliminate the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area and encourage mass development from Cumberland to the riverfront (no)? Pick Atlanta up and move it somewhere else (impossible)? Flood the westside and make it a new Lake Lanier (politically undesirable)?

I think Atlanta's doing just fine without being on a riverfront. I don't think we're "water starved" either; sure, this isn't central Florida or Minnesota in terms of lake coverage, but this isn't a desert. We have our rivers, reservoirs, and lakes. They're not widespread, but they are there.

As for the OP: While Atlanta's core is coming along nicely (especially Midtown,) I don't think it quite has the building density of Vancouver yet. Vancouver, WA...yes. Vancouver, BC...no.

- skbl17
Some people may want Atlanta to do something with its creeks/rivers. As I said in the other post, Atlanta has chosen to mostly keep things in their natural state and they are mostly hidden. And rather than being property lines, the creeks tend to run within people's property.

Houston uses its bayous for flood control and has concrete lined many of them and cleared the top and created heavily used hike and bike trails along them for recreation. The one along Braes Bayou runs about 20 miles from the University of Houston to Alief in the west. The trail along Memorial Drive/Buffalo Bayou is probably the signature as it was the route John Travolta drove to town in the movie Urban Cowboy. Its a different approach and probably is the best approach for Houston with its flooding issues.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We are very aware, however a lot of people that don't know this come here for info.

He paints Atlanta with a completely negative and false brush to the point that it deserves to be challenged.

But you're right, it has become pathetic.

Y'all need to chill and quit over-reacting. Its several of you who are personally attacking him and violating the TOS. Correct him or ignore.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM
bu2

Quote:
Exactly. And the Chattahoochee is a treasure.

What other major city has a beautiful wild river in a National Park in the shadow of skyscrapers? A river so clean on the Northside you can fish for trout.

No other place in the U.S. comes to mind, but it would most certainly not be Houston.
People fish in Braes Bayou and Buffalo Bayou in the shadow of skyscrapers in Houston. But I sure wouldn't eat them. However, I definitely wouldn't eat anything out of the Chattahoochee near Atlanta either. Atlanta is one of the worst places in the nation for sewage spills. Most other cities cleaned that up 30 years ago. The Chattahoochee trails are really nice, but eating the fish is taking it a bit far. Catch and release-ok.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There are creeks everywhere in Atlanta. Atlanta just doesn't highlight them. They keep them in their natural state and they are mostly in backyards or hidden in trees.
Or build over top of them and channelize them.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Or build over top of them and channelize them.
That's been done in a few places. But there are still lots of small creeks everywhere.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM
bu2

You don't really see creeks around downtown as downtown is on a ridge.

I didn't really realize that until coming in Atlanta Highway from Cobb County once. You don't notice it so much from the south, east or north.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
People fish in Braes Bayou and Buffalo Bayou in the shadow of skyscrapers in Houston. But I sure wouldn't eat them. However, I definitely wouldn't eat anything out of the Chattahoochee near Atlanta either. Atlanta is one of the worst places in the nation for sewage spills. Most other cities cleaned that up 30 years ago. The Chattahoochee trails are really nice, but eating the fish is taking it a bit far. Catch and release-ok.
That's, nice. But I agree, I wouldn't eat fish from those bayous either.

You clearly have no knowledge if the Chattahoochee on the Northside. I would most certainly eat trout from the river caught North of Vinings. Trout can't thrive and survive in polluted waters.

As far as "most other cities cleaned that up 30 years ago," in case you haven't noticed we have been spending billions of dollars over the past few years to remedy this exact thing.

You must be fairly new here.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM
bu2

Quote:
That's, nice. But I agree, I wouldn't eat fish from those bayous either.

You clearly have no knowledge if the Chattahoochee on the Northside. I would most certainly eat trout from the river caught North of Vinings. Trout can't thrive and survive in polluted waters.

As far as "most other cities cleaned that up 30 years ago," in case you haven't noticed we have been spending billions of dollars over the past few years to remedy this exact thing.

You must be fairly new here.
Other cities spent those billions in the 70s and 80s. I was shocked when I moved here that Atlanta was still dumping. I thought the EPA had gotten that under control everywhere. Atlanta and DeKalb (although less than Atlanta) still have a lot of sewage spills in the Chattahoochee. DeKalb is definitely spilling north of Vinings.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Other cities spent those billions in the 70s and 80s. I was shocked when I moved here that Atlanta was still dumping. I thought the EPA had gotten that under control everywhere. Atlanta and DeKalb (although less than Atlanta) still have a lot of sewage spills in the Chattahoochee. DeKalb is definitely spilling north of Vinings.
Proof and links please, or get back to the thread topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta