Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Have you lost your head? Atlanta will NEVER be on par or even REMOTELY close to New York City or Chicago. Not only is it half the size of Chicago and 1/4 the size of New York, Atlanta does not do the same sort of construction that the older northern cities did, Atlanta lacks the density to make such an impressive skyline.
LOL! You can never say never...

They used to say LA would never overtake Chicago, but it DID. Do you think Atlanta and the other sunbelt metros will remain static at their current population? What gave you that idea?? Their growth is leaving Chicago in the dust (and have for decades)... Chicago's not as big as your making it out to be. Atlanta is over half the size of Chicago already. Atlanta's CSA was 6.2 million and Chicago's CSA was about 9.9 in 2013. Last I checked, 6.2 is well over half of 9.9. Not only that, but Atlanta (and the other sunbelt metros) have grown FAR faster than Chicago or New York and added a lot more people than either one for decades now. Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston are all projected to catch up to and surpass Chicago in less than 25 years because Chicago hasn't grown very much for the past FIFTY years. It appears you dislike the fact that Atlanta's and the other sunbelt metros' growth has left Chicago pretty much in the dust but it's still true. Let's not distort facts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
LOL! You can never say never...

They used to say LA would never overtake Chicago, but it DID. Do you think Atlanta and the other sunbelt metros will remain static at their current population? What gave you that idea?? Their growth is leaving Chicago in the dust (and have for decades)... Chicago's not as big as your making it out to be. Atlanta is over half the size of Chicago already. Atlanta's CSA was 6.2 million and Chicago's CSA was about 9.9 in 2013. Last I checked, 6.2 is well over half of 9.9. Not only that, but Atlanta (and the other sunbelt metros) have grown FAR faster than Chicago or New York and added a lot more people than either one for decades now. Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston are all projected to catch up to and surpass Chicago in less than 25 years because Chicago hasn't grown very much for the past FIFTY years. It appears you dislike the fact that Atlanta's and the other sunbelt metros' growth has left Chicago pretty much in the dust but it's still true. Let's not distort facts...
Let's not distort facts...

Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,101 times
I see what the OP meant. All this new construction I see and finished buildings...They all are nice additions, but damn, they all look the same....

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
I enjoy separating facts from opinion and have noticed that Chicago turns up fairly regularly as a conversation/ comparison point in Atlanta threads.
An opinion of mine is that we should not permanently write off metro Chicago or the city itself because of it's current problems or population loss or stagnation.
A fact is that after posting terribly anemic growth during the 1970's & 1980's, metro Chicago recovered enormously & grew by about 10% or nearly 900,000 people during the 1990's only to slow substantially again during the last full decade that ended with the 2010 census count. In other words, the trend-line of it's most recent decades has been an uneven one.
As I have pointed out in previous threads, New York City & it's metro collapsed in what I call it's "decade of decay" during the 1970's when the city proper dropped by over 800,000...i.e. the largest single 1 decade population loss that any U.S. city & metro has ever experienced.
Data reveals NYC's strong recovery made since then & how the city proper has turned that loss around & risen by 1.2 million population to reach a new population peak.
In the 1970's the popular consensus was that both the city & state of New York had at least one foot in the grave.
So, as far as Chicago goes, I'd use caution & offer an old adage that nothing is permanent.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,435,368 times
Only the insecure get caught up in comparisons.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I see what the OP meant. All this new construction I see and finished buildings...They all are nice additions, but damn, they all look the same....

Some do look similar, especially the Novare ones...but Atlanta already has a decent group of standout talls that will continue to dominate the skyline for many years to come, so the infill of 20-30-40 floor buildings are just giving us the density so many people dog us for not having. And keep in mind that styles change, so this era of the glass apartment/condo tower will pass and we will be onto the next thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta