U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,474 times

Advertisements

My family and I have made the decision to move to GA in July 2015. We have been doing our research for the past year trying to narrow down what area will suit our family the best.
We have some friends and family in GA and have been down a few times in the past 6 months narrowing down the suburbs.
Friends and family are located in the Alpharetta area, which I think is lovely but noticing a little more pricey.I have narrowed down Gwinnett county as I have discovered its a very diverse area with good schools. We really loved the feel of Dacula, a little rural, but also convenient to shopping, eating, etc. I felt the area was very scenic with alot of nice golf clubs and parks. Beautiful subdivisions.

Here is some more detail...

Family of 5, husband is biracial, I am Caucasian we have 3 kids. Ages 14 (will be starting HS very athletic), 9 and 7. Public school is fine.
Husband can transfer, but I will need to start a new job.
Plan to rent a home at first, but would love to buy.
Rent budget: 1500/mo max, and buying budet, I hope to be around 250k.
Prefer to not be in traffic 3 hrs out of the day.

We want to be in a diverse suburban area, with good schools. Family oriented, love to meet new people, we are 34 and 35.
I do have a possible connection for a job in Alpharetta, but afraid this may make for a bad commute?? However it would not be rush hr time, more like 10-6, so maybe a little.

We love Atlanta, but def want to be outside of it in the burbs! I find I keep coming back to Dacula. It was a toss up between Dacula, Buford, or Lawrenceville. Im finding the reviews I get from Lawrenceville are not that great.
Any feedback on Dacula, lifestyle, schools, living etc would be so appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,093,025 times
Dacula is a nice area. If you work at those times traffic shouldn't be too bad but rush hour doesn't typically end until around 10 am in the worst spots. Definitely stay in Gwinnett County for the schools. I'm a substitute teacher in Gwinnett and I've been to Dacula middle and Dacula high. They're good schools. The students never gave me any trouble (except for one class that was full of ADHD students and the like). If you end up in the Mill Creek HS area that's a good school as well. If you wanna be even more exurban you can look in the Archer HS area, also in Gwinnett (and I've also subbed there). In regards to Lawrenceville, central Lville isn't great but a lot of area is considered Lawrenceville by zip code and is quite desirable.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,310,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie0802 View Post
My family and I have made the decision to move to GA in July 2015. We have been doing our research for the past year trying to narrow down what area will suit our family the best.
We have some friends and family in GA and have been down a few times in the past 6 months narrowing down the suburbs.
Friends and family are located in the Alpharetta area, which I think is lovely but noticing a little more pricey.I have narrowed down Gwinnett county as I have discovered its a very diverse area with good schools. We really loved the feel of Dacula, a little rural, but also convenient to shopping, eating, etc. I felt the area was very scenic with alot of nice golf clubs and parks. Beautiful subdivisions.

Here is some more detail...

Family of 5, husband is biracial, I am Caucasian we have 3 kids. Ages 14 (will be starting HS very athletic), 9 and 7. Public school is fine.
Husband can transfer, but I will need to start a new job.
Plan to rent a home at first, but would love to buy.
Rent budget: 1500/mo max, and buying budet, I hope to be around 250k.
Prefer to not be in traffic 3 hrs out of the day.

We want to be in a diverse suburban area, with good schools. Family oriented, love to meet new people, we are 34 and 35.
I do have a possible connection for a job in Alpharetta, but afraid this may make for a bad commute?? However it would not be rush hr time, more like 10-6, so maybe a little.

We love Atlanta, but def want to be outside of it in the burbs! I find I keep coming back to Dacula. It was a toss up between Dacula, Buford, or Lawrenceville. Im finding the reviews I get from Lawrenceville are not that great.
Any feedback on Dacula, lifestyle, schools, living etc would be so appreciated!
Dacula is a nice outer-suburban area with good schools in the Dacula and Mill Creek high school clusters of the highly-regarded Gwinnett County school system.

Dacula is a diverse area that continues to grow increasingly diverse (...39% of the student body at highly-rated Mill Creek High School is non-white while 59% of the student body at highly-rated Dacula High School is non-white).

Dacula is located in the eastern part of mega suburb Gwinnett County which has an excellent county parks and county library system.

Dacula is also close to many excellent retail amenities in the North Lawrenceville, Hamilton Mill, Mall of Georgia, Snellville and Loganville areas.

(...The Mall of Georgia in nearby Buford is one of the largest regional shopping malls on the entire Eastern Seaboard.)

The only potential drawback for Dacula would be a possible commute between a future home in Dacula and a future job in Alpharetta....Though with you commuting to and from work outside of the worst commute times (7-9am and 4-6pm), a potential commute between Dacula and Alpharetta would not be as bad as it would if you had to do it during the teeth of the Metro Atlanta rush.

Dacula is a great community in which you and your family would enjoy living.

Though, if you have friends and family in the Alpharetta area and are likely going to be working in Alpharetta, then you should probably also be looking at and strongly considering possible living options in North Fulton County where Alpharetta is located.

The only thing is that because the residential real estate is a little more pricey in Alpharetta and North Fulton County you would absolutely have to include older homes, smaller homes, townhomes and condos in your housing search....That's because townhomes and condos are a much larger part of the real estate market in more densely-developed North Fulton County then they are in less densely-developed Dacula and Eastern and Northeastern Gwinnett County.

Another important thing to consider is where would your husband be working if you moved to the Atlanta area?

Where your husband would be working (along with where you would be working) after moving to the Atlanta area is also something that would absolutely have to be taken into consideration in your search for housing.

Metro Atlanta rush hour and peak hour commutes can be particularly rough (if not absolutely brutal) on many days....Much rougher than anything you may have ever experienced in a mid-sized Midwestern metro area like Indianapolis.

It is Metro Atlanta's sometimes extremely rough rush hour and peak-hour commutes that is one of the major reasons why a very strong emphasis is placed on living as close as possible to where the working adults in a family will be working after moving to Metro Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 PM

Thank you both for the replies! My husband is an asst mgr for Applebees. Those seem to be in every city so that is a plus with transferring, and allows more options as far as location. Its not nessecary that I have to work in Alpharetta. My friend who lives in Johns Creek just put me in touch with her being that she is in the same profession as me.
Alpharetta is where we looked into first since we would visit that area the most. After researching and comparing pricing and schools we found other areas were just as desirable and more affordable for us.
Thank you for the input on Dacula! I really like the area, and all the reviews I have read have been positive. Would you say the drive to Atlanta from Dacula about 40+ mins??
Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you both for the replies! My husband is an asst mgr for Applebees. Those seem to be in every city so that is a plus with transferring, and allows more options as far as location. Its not nessecary that I have to work in Alpharetta. My friend who lives in Johns Creek just put me in touch with her being that she is in the same profession as me.
Alpharetta is where we looked into first since we would visit that area the most. After researching and comparing pricing and schools we found other areas were just as desirable and more affordable for us.
Thank you for the input on Dacula! I really like the area, and all the reviews I have read have been positive. Would you say the drive to Atlanta from Dacula about 40+ mins??
Thanks again!
If traffic is perfect with no weather and/or traffic delays, the drive between Dacula and Atlanta would be about 40-45 minutes each way.

But if there are delays due to weather and/or traffic, the drive between Dacula and Atlanta is of course much longer.

The main route between Dacula and Atlanta (GA 316 West to I-85 South) can move relatively fast when there are no problems but can be prone to delays when traffic is heavy while the alternate route (US Hwy 29 South/GA Hwy 8 West) is overloaded with stoplights.

Meanwhile a possible commute between Dacula and Alpharetta would be about between 45-55 minutes each way.

It's really, really, really good that you would not have to be at work until 10am and would leave work at 6pm after the brunt of the morning and evening rush hours.

But the 25-30 mile one-way distance between Dacula and Alpharetta is still something that concerns me a little just simply because of the heavy amount of development and because of the often heavy amount of traffic in that Northeastern quadrant of the Atlanta metro area. Though I am not as concerned as I would be if you had to work earlier like from 9-5 or 8-5.

In any case, Dacula is a great community that you and your family should really like.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM

Thank you again! I work in the cosmetic industry. I will most likely take a position in retail. I'm considering looking into the large Dept Stores @ The Mall of Georgia which I googled and says its only 12 mins away. Would that be an easy drive?? You never know if that means with or without traffic.

I asked about Atlanta of course for events and activities for the family, plus I love the city and all it has to offer for entertainment. I also do some freelance work and I'm thinking I may be hired on some jobs that take place in the city. That would be a more sporadic though, and not a weekly thing.
We are considering coming back down again in a month a fri-sun and bringing our daughter. Hoping to possibly go to Dacula HS and check it out.
Getting excited!!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you again! I work in the cosmetic industry. I will most likely take a position in retail. I'm considering looking into the large Dept Stores @ The Mall of Georgia which I googled and says its only 12 mins away. Would that be an easy drive?? You never know if that means with or without traffic.
YES!!!!!....A commute between the Dacula area and the Mall of Georgia would be an infinitely much easier drive if you could land a well-paying job at the Mall of Georgia, which is gaining a new Von Maur department store where a Nordstorm department store currently operates until the end of February when it will close.
Von Maur to open in Nordstrom location at Mall of Georgia | Gwinnett Daily Post

From the article in the link titled "Von Maur to open in Nordstrom location at Mall of Georgia":
Quote:
The Nordstrom space at Mall of Georgia has a new tenant.

#Von Maur Department Stores announced Thursday that it will open its third Georgia location in the two-story, 165,000-square-foot space occupied since 2000 by Nordstrom, which is closing at the end of February. Von Maur says it expects to “eventually” employ 200 mostly full-time associates.

#Known for its selection of brand names and specialty apparel, shoes, accessories and gifts, Von Maur says it will open in the Buford mall in fall 2016.
Quote:
I asked about Atlanta of course for events and activities for the family, plus I love the city and all it has to offer for entertainment. I also do some freelance work and I'm thinking I may be hired on some jobs that take place in the city. That would be a more sporadic though, and not a weekly thing.
That is a really good thing that any work that you would do in Atlanta would be sporadic because the commute between the Dacula area in Northeastern Gwinnett County and Atlanta can be very rough at times, even during the middle of the day, but particularly during morning and evening rush hours.

(...I know this personally because I used to commute about 35 miles one way between the Norcross area and the Atlanta Airport at about 2-3pm in the afternoon (had to be at work near the Airport before 4pm) and there would be many days when I-85 Southbound would literally be a parking lot at 2PM and 3PM IN THE AFTERNOON!!!!!....Sometimes traffic would be backed about a quarter to a half-mile from I-85 where I would have to get on the freeway at the Indian Trail-Lilburn Road and/or Jimmy Carter Blvd interchanges in the Norcross area.)

The frailty of Atlanta rush hour and peak-hour commuting is a major reason why the locals can be really insistent that newcomers attempt to live as close as possible to where they will be working if possible.

Heck just in the past couple of weeks or so the Atlanta area has had some extremely rough morning rush hour commutes.

First because of a freak ice storm that saddled many major roads with black ice. Then on another day because of a bad fatal traffic incident where a pedestrian was hit and dismembered by multiple vehicles on the I-285 Top End Perimeter at about 6:30am....A traffic incident that caused massive delays for 3-4 hours and turned major commuter routes like GA 400 North, I-85 Northeast and I-75 Northwest into parking lots for several miles.

(...GA 400 southbound, I-85 southbound and I-75 southbound were each solidly gridlocked for about 15-20 miles in advance of their respective junctions with the I-285 Perimeter.)

One cannot emphasize enough the importance of living as close as is possible to where one will be working in the Metro Atlanta region.

Quote:
We are considering coming back down again in a month a fri-sun and bringing our daughter. Hoping to possibly go to Dacula HS and check it out.
Getting excited!!
Visiting the schools of the Dacula High School cluster before you move into the area is an excellent idea.

Welcome to Atlanta, Welcome to Georgia and Best of Luck with your move!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,093,025 times
Born 2 Roll gave some pretty good advice. Not sure I can add anything!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,399,129 times
OP, I've done Dacula to Atlanta on a few occasions and the thought of it almost gives me the shakes. Have you been on 316? It is like a two lane road that is the only way in and out of that area. Traffic into and from Atlanta can be unbelievable since the road only has a couple of lanes. I'd check this out closely since you think you want to be in Daculabut have an interest in coming into Atl for events, etc. It's more than a notion. Have you thought of Roswell?
Quote:

Getting excited!!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
OP, I've done Dacula to Atlanta on a few occasions and the thought of it almost gives me the shakes. Have you been on 316? It is like a two lane road that is the only way in and out of that area. Traffic into and from Atlanta can be unbelievable since the road only has a couple of lanes. I'd check this out closely since you think you want to be in Daculabut have an interest in coming into Atl for events, etc. It's more than a notion. Have you thought of Roswell?
That's an excellent point about how severely congested GA 316 can be on trips into Atlanta during peak traffic hours.

Though it should be noted that the commute on 316 into (and out of) Atlanta figures to improve (if only slightly) with the elimination of the signalized at-grade intersections at Buford Drive (GA highways 20/124) and Collins Hill Road.

But peak-hour commutes to Atlanta via GA 316 will still be extremely challenging because of how I-85 Southbound bottlenecks from about 9-10 lanes down to 6-7 lanes after GA 316 Westbound merges into I-85 Southbound going towards Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta