Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Someone actually has "2 Chainz" as an official name? Seriously? Good, Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Jack Longino has been mayor of College Park since 1996. I believe his families roots go way back. Being mayor takes a lot more than a 4.0 gpa and a rap career, black or white. If you don't understand what you are getting into, it's not gonna work out well. You can look at East Point to see that. I think one of the reasons College Park has the stability it does, is because they have pretty decent leadership that understand the city and understand THEIR role within the city leadership. Mayors of the smaller towns don't call the shots on jack. Not in the way most people think. Depends on the Government style of the Municipality in question.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM

371 posts, read 456,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
The sad part is that know one cares that he actually graduated with a 4.0 gpa and could do a better job than most of the people that are there. Plus he is from there and actually cares about the community he grew up in. But all most people are going to see is "rapper" and see he is Black. Sad but true.
How do you know that no one cares? I'm well aware that he's very intelligent. His music is just a way to make money. He knows his market and he knows what sells. But if you actually listen to him speak, not rap, you'll find he's pretty smart. I'd love to hear what his plans would be for College Park.
But the current mayor has been there since '96? He probably has loyal constituents. Would be a tough race to win.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:27 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Why the heck not?

DeKalb elected Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard to congress and Al Franken is a senator. Plus that guy from Death Valley Days got elected president.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Jack Longino has been mayor of College Park since 1996. I believe his families roots go way back. Being mayor takes a lot more than a 4.0 gpa and a rap career, black or white. If you don't understand what you are getting into, it's not gonna work out well. You can look at East Point to see that. I think one of the reasons College Park has the stability it does, is because they have pretty decent leadership that understand the city and understand THEIR role within the city leadership. Mayors of the smaller towns don't call the shots on jack. Not in the way most people think. Depends on the Government style of the Municipality in question.
Stopped by to basically say exactly that.

College Park has impressed me ever since I moved here, the city just seems well run. Our Councilman that presides over the Historic district spends a lot of effort planning for the future using the money we get from the airport. The city covers all the utilities, except internet and gas, and does a good job at a generally great price.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't change any of the leadership I have encountered. That's saying a lot coming from someone who has virtually no respect for politicians. Sorry to discount Mr. Chainz, but I would hate it if someone's entertainment popularity won over what works.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Stopped by to basically say exactly that.

College Park has impressed me ever since I moved here, the city just seems well run. Our Councilman that presides over the Historic district spends a lot of effort planning for the future using the money we get from the airport. The city covers all the utilities, except internet and gas, and does a good job at a generally great price.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't change any of the leadership I have encountered. That's saying a lot coming from someone who has virtually no respect for politicians. Sorry to discount Mr. Chainz, but I would hate it if someone's entertainment popularity won over what works.

it would probably make EP look good though. lol. Seriously though - College Park does have decades of leadership, that has been stable - folks know what they are doing and what "works" and that wealth of knowledge has stayed in place. With East Point as much as we have changed, and poorly elected, and poorly managed - there is a lot of basic "running a city" knowledge that is just gone. We have a competent City manager now and a mayor that isn't completely insane so things are starting to stabilize - but we still have work to do in getting a full house of competent council-people that also understand what running a city takes.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
While I am not a fan of his "music", people must realize that is just an act. The man is educated and has a degree in Psychology. While I'm not sure of his positions and what he'll bring to the city, I think it's a mistake to assume that his not intelligent because his day job is being a rapper.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:00 PM

I don't think those of us who know the city in question care about how smart he is or what he does for a day job. We are simply saying College park is working quite well with the leadership it has. Very well in fact. Why would you go and vote for someone just because he made himself famous, or is a newb that wants to try their hand at being "Mayor". There is more to it than that.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
The sad part is that know one cares that he actually graduated with a 4.0 gpa and could do a better job than most of the people that are there. Plus he is from there and actually cares about the community he grew up in. But all most people are going to see is "rapper" and see he is Black. Sad but true.
This right here He actually could probably run circles around most of the others in state government in Georgia. And even if he didn't know a thing about government, which I'm sure he knows plenty, he certainly can't be worse than the 'leaders' in College Park and East Point now. Some of the most leaderless and corrupt government ITP outside the state house.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
This right here He actually could probably run circles around most of the others in state government in Georgia. And even if he didn't know a thing about government, which I'm sure he knows plenty, he certainly can't be worse than the 'leaders' in College Park and East Point now. Some of the most leaderless and corrupt government ITP outside the state house.
I don't know why you think these governments are corrupt, but if you don't live in these cities, you can't tell them their corrupt. East Point and College Park are getting things done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta