Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 AM

687 posts, read 744,475 times

Advertisements

My brother and his friend (both 23) visited Atlanta from London for 12 days last September, primarily to go to Tomorrow World (as well as seeing me obviously) but also to check out the ATL.

They didn't have a car but got around without complaint by using a mixture of MARTA/Uber and regular taxis.

They obviously liked it as this September they are coming back with 4 additional friends for 2 weeks in total.

They loved the bars of Buckhead, Midtown and Edgewood but most of all they loved the Southern Belles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
More proof how overly sensitive the Atlanta posters can be. Sounded to me like a legitimate question from the OP. CWKimbro answered it very well (won't let me give you rep CW).
The truth is the truth. Let the truth set you free

Houston posters are more sensitive plus they think Houston is really a top 5 US city

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
I definitely think Georgia is worth visiting, and you can start (fly into) in Atlanta. Spend a day or two, then also visit the North Georgia mountains, Savannah, the Golden Isles, the Okefenokee, then back to Atlanta.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The truth is the truth. Let the truth set you free

Houston posters are more sensitive plus they think Houston is really a top 5 US city
Proof again. I live in Atlanta now. And you are wrong about Houston-Houstonians are more likely to criticize their own city than residents of most cities (especially Dallas and Atlanta). They tend to be more realistic about its pluses and minuses. Its just that most outsiders who comment about Houston are ignorant about the city and talk about things like tumbleweeds in the street.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Proof again. I live in Atlanta now. And you are wrong about Houston-Houstonians are more likely to criticize their own city than residents of most cities (especially Dallas and Atlanta). They tend to be more realistic about its pluses and minuses. Its just that most outsiders who comment about Houston are ignorant about the city and talk about things like tumbleweeds in the street.
I did not make one false statement in that post. Everything I said was the truth. Point out 3 statements that are false that I made please? The truth is the truth. Just because it might not be popular it doesn't mean it isn't the truth

Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I did not make one false statement in that post. Everything I said was the truth. Point out 3 statements that are false that I made please? The truth is the truth. Just because it might not be popular it doesn't mean it isn't the truth
I will preface my statement with the point that I love Atlanta as well and I want to keep the discussion mature and civil. We aren't going to convince anyone to visit by saying their question was dumb. We are, in a sense, representatives of our city. Let's give people a better impression of it's citizens.

1. You referred to Arizona as the armpit of the southeast.

2. You said that no one dreams of moving there

3. You stated that Jacksonvillians have no right to criticize other cities.

4. Asking if Atlanta is a good place to visit is not a dumb question. It's exactly the type of question that this forum was made to answer.

5. I love Atlanta too but we can explain the merits of our city without making personal attacks. We don't know how much money people make or what reasons they have for their living arrangements.

6. Personal attacks are prohibited and can result in your account being banned. Criticism of Atlanta is welcome, even if it seems people should move on after they leave a city they don't like. At times I get irritated too but I'd rather keep them and our freedom of speech than ban all dissenters.

Last edited by joey86; 01-29-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Cwkimbro, I can't rep you but that post was wonderful.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
1. You referred to Arizona as the armpit of the southeast.

2. You said that no one dreams of moving there

3. You stated that Jacksonvillians have no right to criticize other cities.

4. Asking if Atlanta is a good place to visit is not a dumb question. It's exactly the type of question that this forum was made to answer.

5. I love Atlanta too but we can explain the merits of our city without making personal attacks. We don't know how much money people make or what reasons they have for their living arrangements.

1. It's the same as if someone in Valdosta, GA posted in the New Orleans forum asking the same question.

2. It's true generally speaking. Most people dream of living in NYC, LA, Florida or Atlanta. I haven't talked with anyone who is dreaming about moving there.

3. Again, someone from a smaller city can't criticize a larger city regarding things to do.. Thats like if i went to the NYC forum trolling saying Nyc is boring. They damn sure cant if they live in a place that is considered more boring

4. It's a dumb question. Anyplace with a hotel can be a good place to visit if you do the proper research and that place has what you are looking for. Maybe they should have answered the question in another way like "I'm thinking about visiting Atlanta, what do you recommend? " instead. He asked it like he is superior since he is in California like the world revolves around SoCal.

5. Never made an atrack . I'm only stating facts. Facts are facts. Ms. Owl and Justin Bieber opinions are the most inaccurate opinions on here.

fyl...I'm not going back and forth with yall. Facts are facts

Last edited by afdinatl; 01-29-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
It's worth a couple days if it's convenient to come here for you. I mean, don't fly across the country, but if you can build it into a flight itinerary for less than $100 or so I'd check Atlanta out.

Honestly I'd skip the downtown attractions. Instead check out the MLK historic area, Atlanta History Center, and Stone Mountain (the last one requires a car). Then fill out your days exploring the more local aspects of the city: check out Piedmont Park and then stroll the Beltline. Have dinner in Decatur. Windowshop in Little Five then round it out with a beer.

The above itinerary should take you about 3 days. You'll have a great sense of the city afterwards and actually be able to form your own opinion. If you stay downtown and do two of the big attractions per day for 2 days you'll have no idea what Atlanta is actually like at the end of it.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I definitely think Georgia is worth visiting, and you can start (fly into) in Atlanta. Spend a day or two, then also visit the North Georgia mountains, Savannah, the Golden Isles, the Okefenokee, then back to Atlanta.
yea with all that going on you need to plan on spending a week or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta