Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Peachtree Rd would not be used mostly be recreational cyclists on the weekends, but by bike commuters during the weekdays. A beautiful ride is not top priority, safe and quick are key. As it stands now, there are no easy options for cyclists to get to Buckhead from Midtown or Perimeter Center.
Well, I hope you are right, cq.

You know, there are already bike lanes on Peachtree from Piedmont north to the city limits; however, I rarely see cyclists when I am up that way.

But as I've said before, I rarely see cyclists on any other stretch of Peachtree either.

That's not to say there aren't tons of recreational riders. They are all over the place and they deserve a safe place to ride as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I hope you are right, cq.

You know, there are already bike lanes on Peachtree from Piedmont north to the city limits; however, I rarely see cyclists when I am up that way.

But as I've said before, I rarely see cyclists on any other stretch of Peachtree either.

That's not to say there aren't tons of recreational riders. They are all over the place and they deserve a safe place to ride as well.
I have rode that section, but the reason they are not used more its:
1) both sides just dump the cyclists into a 6 lane road.
2) There is not connecting infrastructure
3) drivers are crazy as hell.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Same problem as now, local residents are bitching about bikes on Peachtree (and the church parking issue at Jesus Junction).
It wasn't an issue in my hood, although I know there some who are just flat agin it.

If I had to guess you'd find about an even split on the bike lanes issue, with more of the older folks being anti.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,433 times
Quote:
It wasn't an issue in my hood, although I know there some who are just flat agin it.

If I had to guess you'd find about an even split on the bike lanes issue, with more of the older folks being anti.
AKA, the greatest generation that built Atlanta for cars, and ripped up the amazing transportation system that was in place. Old folks have to get over it at this point - they built cities for cars, but now cities are returning to what they were the generation before the baby boomers. Also, when these old folks can no longer drive, I can't wait to see them start crying for alternatives to get out of their houses.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
AKA, the greatest generation that built Atlanta for cars, and ripped up the amazing transportation system that was in place. Old folks have to get over it at this point - they built cities for cars, but now cities are returning to what they were the generation before the baby boomers. Also, when these old folks can no longer drive, I can't wait to see them start crying for alternatives to get out of their houses.
Generational war, then, is it?

How about all you youngsters give us your car keys, we'll mark you out some bike lanes, and then we'll see how you feel about chugging up Heart Attack Hill next summer.

We'll set up a little wine bar at the top so that we can give you a round of applause and encouragement when you come sweating by.

If you need a ride home, just give us a call. You can put your bike in the back of the SUV and we won't even mind stopping by the grocery store if you need to pick up a few things.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:

How about all you youngsters give us your car keys, we'll mark you out some bike lanes, and then we'll see how you feel about chugging up Heart Attack Hill next summer.

We'll set up a little wine bar at the top so that we can give you a round of applause and encouragement when you come sweating by.

If you need a ride home, just give us a call. You can put your bike in the back of the SUV and we won't even mind stopping by the grocery store if you need to pick up a few things.

No thanks, we'll take the 110 if we need a ride.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Not trying to make it a generational war, but it's undeniable that the baby boomer generation tore apart any infrastructure in Atlanta that wasn't built for cars, and expanded roads at the expense of anything else until MARTA came along. And FYI: I bike up and down Heart Attack Hill everyday, in the heat, cold, rain, and anything else Mother Nature throws at me to get to and from work. If I ever can't bike, I take MARTA bus and rail. Not once since I started biking to/from work 3 years ago have I ever needed to ask for a ride home! I don't only preach, I practice what I preach.

Point is, we're not asking that all roads be closed, or all money stop going towards roads and cars. All I'm asking is that we have sufficient money going to other forms of transportation that we have OPTIONS. As someone else stated, it seems that there are two crowds - one for CARS ONLY, and one for ALL OPTIONS.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Not trying to make it a generational war, but it's undeniable that the baby boomer generation tore apart any infrastructure in Atlanta that wasn't built for cars, and expanded roads at the expense of anything else until MARTA came along.
Well, MARTA is not exactly chopped liver.

Quote:
And FYI: I bike up and down Heart Attack Hill everyday, in the heat, cold, rain, and anything else Mother Nature throws at me to get to and from work. If I ever can't bike, I take MARTA bus and rail. Not once since I started biking to/from work 3 years ago have I ever needed to ask for a ride home! I don't only preach, I practice what I preach.

Point is, we're not asking that all roads be closed, or all money stop going towards roads and cars. All I'm asking is that we have sufficient money going to other forms of transportation that we have OPTIONS. As someone else stated, it seems that there are two crowds - one for CARS ONLY, and one for ALL OPTIONS.
Good for you, CC!!

On the way to yesterday's meeting I saw only one cyclist and my heart went out to her. She was stuck behind a MARTA bus in the usual heavy traffic and that couldn't have been fun.

Personally I'm with you on the complete streets thing and that's what I told the GDOT fellows. From what I heard a good many other people felt the same way.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Well, MARTA is not exactly chopped liver.

Good for you, CC!!

On the way to yesterday's meeting I saw only one cyclist and my heart went out to her. She was stuck behind a MARTA bus in the usual heavy traffic and that couldn't have been fun.

Personally I'm with you on the complete streets thing and that's what I told the GDOT fellows. From what I heard a good many other people felt the same way.
Good to hear. We need more (vocal) people thinking this way! I honestly avoid Buckhead most of the time due to the mindset that we've been hearing so loudly - it's just not my crowd. But, at the same time, I know that they are just a vocal minority, so I hope for other residents sake that others of different opinions also speak up.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:45 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,614 times
Quote:
I am not against bike lanes where there is a plethora of road width to work with. However, I believe wider sidewalks instead of bike lanes would serve the most people on Peachtree. The percentage of residents who actually can ride a bike is very, very small. The elderly, disabled, ill, those with small children, those who care for the elderly and disabled, those who are traveling very long distances, those who have equipment or loads to carry --whereas none of these groups could ride a bike where they're going, many could be served by sidewalks.

I am 40--not old!--and I biked to work for a year or two in my twenties--when I worked in an office. Then I became a landscaper--and needed my truck for my equipment. Now in the mornings I deliver four children to two different schools 7 miles apart with all their gear. I care for my elderly mother and mother in law, my dog, and am almost always carrying loads.

We live within walking distance of Peachtree--but the sidewalks are so narrow it doesn't usually feel safe to use them with my small children in tow. We would never use a bike lane--but we would use wider sidewalks daily for trips to the grocery, drug store and restaurants. I have talked to many elderly, handicapped and parents of small children who share this view. Sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta