Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
does anybody know where a map is of this proposed city ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
thanks i just watched a video on youtube from Sept when they proposed the city. I love the lithonia area when i lived there a years back but this Greenhaven city....i just dont know about it i cant call it i am trying to imagine it. I wonder if the people in the proposed area is for it

Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Thanks, Gulch. That certainly looks sensible.

As far as where people want to draw their boundaries or what they choose to name themselves, that is totally their affair. South Dekalb is urbanizing and Greenhaven sounds like a perfectly fine name to me.

One of the great things about smaller cities is that they tend to be closer -- and hence more transparent and responsive -- to their citizens. The further away government gets from the people the more likely they are to ignore them and/or become subject to outside lobbying

Rock on, new cities. Let the will of the people be heard.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thanks, Gulch. That certainly looks sensible.

As far as where people want to draw their boundaries or what they choose to name themselves, that is totally their affair. South Dekalb is urbanizing and Greenhaven sounds like a perfectly fine name to me.

Rock on, new cities. Let the will of the people be heard.

Yep, and those people especially in South Fulton like last time and South DeKalb will be "no thank, we like our current setup"...

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM

the proposed are will get a little smaller if stone mountain and lithonia are successful in annexing. Lithonia is at 1100(city limit) but plan to be at 90,000 after annexing.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
These places aren't communities, these places are basically single-family dwelling subdivisions amongst disorganized urban sprawl. Where are these places "central business district" where is the center of their communities are located?

Oh yeah, having "city hall" in a random office building or office complex doesn't count.
Again, Sandy Springs is in the process of redeveloping their core into a more densely populated mixed-use corridor. This corridor has been the center of the community for a long time, being the commercial center and the location of the springs for which the city was named. They are creating several new parks and building a new municipal complex, one that will be separate from offices, so it should "count" in your eyes.

Also, a place does not have to be built to the standards of outsiders to be considered a community. You'd be surprised at how close-knit some of the suburban neighborhoods are. There are plenty where no one is a stranger. I've even seen a very close-knit community in the middle of nowhere in south Georgia. After driving maybe fifteen miles on unpaved roads I came to a collection of about a dozen houses where several families had made an idyllic place to live for themselves. I prefer urbanity, but it isn't for everyone. To each their own.

"Community: a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage"

Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Again, Sandy Springs is in the process of redeveloping their core into a more densely populated mixed-use corridor. This corridor has been the center of the community for a long time, being the commercial center and the location of the springs for which the city was named. They are creating several new parks and building a new municipal complex, one that will be separate from offices, so it should "count" in your eyes.

Also, a place does not have to be built to the standards of outsiders to be considered a community. You'd be surprised at how close-knit some of the suburban neighborhoods are. There are plenty where no one is a stranger. I've even seen a very close-knit community in the middle of nowhere in south Georgia. After driving maybe fifteen miles on unpaved roads I came to a collection of about a dozen houses where several families had made an idyllic place to live for themselves. I prefer urbanity, but it isn't for everyone. To each their own.

"Community: a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage"

I'm well aware of Sandy Springs master plan for Roswell Road corridor. Actually, this was something initiated prior to the creation of that municipality by Fulton County. However, that will be decades not years in the making. It still won't truly create a sense of place in the community. Ironically, it's the only one that has been planned this far... Dunwoody, Milton, Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, nor Chattahoochee Hills are basically disorganized places without a central core. All we have to do is look at Tucker to measure a sense of place and Dekalb County government are the ones that executed this. If you think I had forgotten Brookhaven, I haven't their "core", Town Brookhaven, is another development of the Dekalb County government long before their municipality's existence.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
If Greenhaven gets their charter, will Dekalb still build their new government center on Memorial Dr?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:08 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
These places aren't communities, these places are basically single-family dwelling subdivisions amongst disorganized urban sprawl. Where are these places "central business district" where is the center of their communities are located?

Oh yeah, having "city hall" in a random office building or office complex doesn't count. To any outsider, these places are monotonous random places with significant amounts of strip commercial development but not central business district unique to identify them as a true community. That is the fundamental principle of place-making.

The places Aries4118 listed saying "yes" does have a centralized business district/downtown, thus it possess the key characteristics of a sense of place. The others listed are random in organization as all get out.

LaVista Hills has a lot in common. Its basically the east of Atlanta, south of I-85 middle class suburbs.

Stonecrest is really just all the areas around Lithonia. Lithonia's plan calls for annexing probably 2/3 of the same area (they should probably work together).

Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
If Greenhaven gets their charter, will Dekalb still build their new government center on Memorial Dr?
good question since the jail is already off memorial with the waste services and other county stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta