Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:02 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Looks pretty cool, and people say Atlanta lacks water features.
Looks pretty cool to me as well, but since I'm from the coast, I don't really consider that pond big enough to be called a water feature. I'm not saying Atlanta is bone dry like a desert, but water is definitely not one of the features.

I have always kind of liked Roswell but don't really want to be bothered with that 400, Roswell Rd, or even Holcomb Bridge Rd traffic. It's not convenient for me. I'd probably opt for a more traditional area, but I still like the renderings and think they look quite appealing; they remind me of the Dunwoody area near Perimeter Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 AM

41 posts, read 72,186 times
A moment of silence, please, for my morning commute. Aside from that, though, I have some serious issues. Part of how it was sold to the community was incredibly racist. As in, I have it in writing that this will "improve the standing of a local elementary school by reducing the hispanic population."

Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn142 View Post
A moment of silence, please, for my morning commute. Aside from that, though, I have some serious issues. Part of how it was sold to the community was incredibly racist. As in, I have it in writing that this will "improve the standing of a local elementary school by reducing the hispanic population."
Wow! Did someone actually put that in writing? If so, who?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn142 View Post
Can you provide proof of this?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
Anyone else find these privately developed "city in a city" sorta boring and restrictive. I remembered being yelled at for siting on a bench at atlantic station at night (around 10) by private security.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM

41 posts, read 72,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Can you provide proof of this?
I have the email about it, yes. I tried emailing it to various places and no one contacted me. It's not officially from the city, but a real estate developer.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Looks pretty cool to me as well, but since I'm from the coast, I don't really consider that pond big enough to be called a water feature. I'm not saying Atlanta is bone dry like a desert, but water is definitely not one of the features.
I think that basically boils down to PERSONAL OPINION, doesn't it? You stated you were from the coast, which to me means ocean. Perhaps to people who care about the beach and the ocean that is the only "water feature." To those of us who don't care about the ocean, Atlanta's (and Georgia's) dozens of rivers, creeks, streams, and runnels ARE it's water feature. You might think that an ocean is a necessity to have a "water feature," but I prefer rivers and creeks. Neither of us are "wrong" in our thinking. Mine and those who agree with me hold an opinion that is just as valid as yours and those who agree with you.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Atlanta can't claim rivers in other cities as it's own water features. I'm fairly certain that ElleKaye would consider the Chattahoochee an Atlanta water feature if it ran through Downtown. And no, I don't think everyone's opinions are equally valid. The people whose opinions are supported by facts have more valuable opinions. I feel like maybe I should just say that facts are worth more than opinions

Atlanta doesn't have much in the way of water features, it's not like someone called your mom fat. We don't have to defend every little criticism of Atlanta, especially when they are accurate. I feel like y'all would debate someone if they said Arizona has a better canyon than Atlanta.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Atlanta can't claim rivers in other cities as it's own water features. I'm fairly certain that ElleKaye would consider the Chattahoochee an Atlanta water feature if it ran through Downtown. And no, I don't think everyone's opinions are equally valid. The people whose opinions are supported by facts have more valuable opinions. I feel like maybe I should just say that facts are worth more than opinions

Atlanta doesn't have much in the way of water features, it's not like someone called your mom fat. We don't have to defend every little criticism of Atlanta, especially when they are accurate. I feel like y'all would debate someone if they said Arizona has a better canyon than Atlanta.
Well I'm sorry, but I consider the Chattahoochee to BE our water feature. It's not being defensive or claiming Atlanta has something it really doesn't in any possible way.

How many major urban areas have a wild and National Park Service protected river running through the heart of the Metro area? Out of town visitors are routinely blown away by it.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:

I agree opinions should be based on facts, and mine ARE. I'm speaking metro-wide, not the municipality of Atlanta. Most are aware that when a "city" is described, it usually entails it's metropolitan area as well. It doesn't matter to me whether such-and-such flows downtown or not, it's still there. Who doth spake the decree that it HAD to flow past skyscrapers to be considered? The Chattahoochee forms almost the entire western boundary of Atlanta, so that's close enough to enjoy it. If you'll re-read my post, you will note that I did not restrict it to rivers. I also said creeks, of which SEVERAL do flow through the actual city. Nothing I said in my post was false and I'm one of the most rabid defenders of facts there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta