Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,037,229 times

Advertisements

Judge orders Midtown homeless shelter handed over to United Way *| ajc.com

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Craig Schwall on Friday ordered the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless to hand over control of its controversial Midtown shelter to the United Way this month. Schwall also ordered the United Way to handle operation until the 600-men shelter closes in six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM

311 posts, read 845,160 times
Thank Jesus!!

I live about quarter of a mile from that area, and trust me, we DON'T walk near that area. I would never walk down there alone as a single female daytime OR night....I know we nicknamed it the Crack-Mansion.....

I hope this helps the surrounding community. That shelter was just a huge enabler for some of the druggie residents there. I've never seen a shelter where they have dudes just hanging outside in rollups or not checking who is going in and out.Plus the smell that would emanate.........Heck, didn't they have a huge TB breakout there as well?I've been homeless before in a different city (long story) and from what I've read, heard, and seen with my own eyes...this needed to be done. The woman running the place just didn't know what the heck she was doing apparently.

Now if we can increase police presence and help out some of the businesses/residences that seem to be suffering around there I think that area can finally be a vibrant piece of the city.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,397,153 times
This is LONG overdue, but I have a feeling the Beatty's will have to be drug out kicking and screaming. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets ugly.

This thing has held back the neighborhood for far too long. Dogwood closed, they can't sell units at the Reynolds, etc. Good riddance (and I am NOT anti-homeless, by any stretch).

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,096,306 times
Let it get ugly. I don't think anybody will complain if the police have to crack a few skulls to get it closed.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,230,242 times
FYI...

"The Georgia Court of Appeals has blocked the eviction of the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless from its controversial shelter in Atlanta..."

Court blocks eviction of Peachtree and Pine homeless shelter *| ajc.com

Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,309 times
Differences between Atlanta and Houston. These are random thoughts so please bare that in mind:
1. People: Atlanta is more talkative or drama-prone and many can be rude. Atlanta likes to talk on the cell phone.
Houston is less talkative or more aloof but many are nice but in a country-bumpkin way. Houston likes to text.
2. Environment: Atlanta is cleaner but the smog from the semis can be troubling. The trees can also be troubling. Atlanta is prettier.
Houston has dirty air. It always stinks 24/7. No zoning in Houston which makes it ugly. There are no trees and it's flat. It's all concrete.
3. Culture: Atlanta has a hipster crowd and a black experience crowd.
Houston is more diverse with a lot of Latin and Asian people. There is black experience here. Houston has a lot of senior citizens in the city whereas in Atlanta the senior citizens are in the suburbs. Atlanta is more segregated than Houston with the races sticking with their own kind. Atlanta has a large Korean population. Houston has a large Vietnamese and Chinese population which are nicer than the Koreans in Atlanta. The Asians in Atlanta seem rather young and the Asians in Houston seem rather old. Atlanta blacks are very educated and aggressive. Houston blacks are not educated and are country polite. There are hardly any Latin culture in Atlanta except for the immigrant workers and most are concentrated in Korea town. Latin people in Atlanta are less arrogant and entitled than Houston Latin population.
4. Work environment: Atlanta is more educated than Houston. Houston is a blue-collar town. Houston seems more ignorant and lazy. Houston is less racist than Atlanta even though Atlanta is a town too busy to hate as many would say. But Houston can be hateful not because of race but because Houston does that to you. Atlanta wants to be the best but Houston wants to get by. It's hard to get work done in Houston compared to Atlanta because you simply don't feel all that well. You have more outbursts in Atlanta because you think you can actually do something to correct and less in Houston because in the latter you simply don't care and are operating in auto-pilot. The way I describe Houston is that "it is what it is."
5. Night life: Atlanta has a better nightlife vibe than Houston. People in Houston do the nightlife just to dress up and be seen. Houston nightlife has no personality at all. Atlanta is a major convention center for all sorts of people and groups.
6. Dating: It's easier to connect in Atlanta. Houston people are always in a crabby mood because of the weather, smell, and because it's Texas or Houston. The sexes don't intermingle. Couples hold their hands in public in Houston to be in solidarity against the crappiness of Houston living. You don't see public affection in Atlanta. You can easily find a hot Houston woman walking by herself in a strange mood. In Atlanta, people walk in groups same sex or mixed.
7. Driving: You have to drive long distances to do things in Houston. Same can be said for Atlanta but it's easier to do. Gridlock is worse in Atlanta whereas in Houston there is a traffic jam but at least you are moving forward. Houston people know how to courteously drive but they are grandpa slow. Atlanta drivers are some of the worse with the cutting off and lane changing and they love to speed.
8. Customer Service: Atlanta has better customer service and more knowledgeable staff. Houston does not believe in customer service and many people here are simply ignorant or not educated enough or really don't care because they are in a bad mood or did not receive the right training.
9. Pollution: Houston is more polluted compared to Atlanta. You will get skin problems living in Houston but you sinuses are slightly in better shape in Houston because there aren't any trees around. It is difficult to be sexually charged in Atlanta because of the foul weather and tree allergies.

11. Food: Houston has better food because of the diversity. Atlanta dining is processed. But the food in Houston is tainted and polluted and makes you feel like crap inside. The fruits and vegetables are tainted with pollutants from the air.
12. Lifestyle: Atlanta is more environmentally friendly and has pretty sights. Houston is ugly and fat. Houston makes people want to get out (hyper) when they can but in Atlanta if you see the same thing over and over you end up staying home. People always change plans in Houston because they get mood swings. Houston is very relaxed in style because no one cares what you look like but in Atlanta you have to wear makeup just to get out and do something. Men are expected to be clean shaven in Houston but in Atlanta beards are fashionable. Houstonians like to hang out together but you get the sense that nothing important is exchanged between the participants, whereas in Atlanta you know these people are tight with each other. Family is more talk in Houston than in Atlanta. Family is matter of convenience in Houston than in Atlanta. Houston is not southern but mostly Mexican. Atlanta is southern but having great influences of the north. Houstonians are levi wearing but Atlanta is Gucci wearing. The car of choice in Houston is the big pickup truck and the car of choice in Atlanta is the bmw. Waiting in long lines is the lifestyle in Houston.
12. Healthcare: Houston healthcare professionals make more mistakes because the air effects their judgment. It's harder to see doctors in Atlanta because there is a long wait. Houston physicians are less rude and are more accommodating; Atlanta doctors ***** a lot and think they know everything.
13. Law: Houston police simply don't care and are very lazy. All they do is direct traffic. Atlanta police are the gestapo and will follow you around to check on your plates, etc.
14. Leisure. I rather do outdoor activities in Atlanta than in Houston because of the latter's heat and smell annoys me. Atlanta is much colder in the winter. Houstonians hate clear sunny weather even if it is not hot. They prefer the colder, cloudier days because they feel better. People get very depressed when it rains in Atlanta and cheer up when it clears up. Atlanta people are moodier (back stabbers) than Houstonians who are always in a bad mood so it's business as usual in Houston in spite of the weather change.
15. People. Houstonians shout when they talk and will laugh at everything and anything. Atlanta people sound more educated but they seem rather fake and stuck-up. Houstonians are fixated on drinking and going to bars. Atlanta is more fixated on home renovation, fashion, and keeping up with the Jones. One can easily get hateful towards in Atlanta because of their behavior but in Houston one is hateful because how the city makes you feel inside.
16. Libido: The libido is better in Houston than in Atlanta. Houstonians seem too sexually charged or is that me? Atlanta rather puts on a good show than actually do something. Women in Houston are looser in the bedroom.
17. Social: Atlanta likes to get to together and party and hang around for a long time afterwards. Houston likes to get together quickly but they lose steam after the second act and quickly go home afterwards. Women in Houston have bad attitudes and never smile which makes them completely undateable. Many of them are shallow, are golddiggers and are not that intelligent. Atlanta women are fun and smile a lot but they play around a lot so don't expect commitment. The men are nicer in Houston but they are whipped and women know that. Atlanta men are douchebags who like to show off.
18. Shopping: Atlanta has better shopping choices. Houston has no sense of style or fashion. It's cheaper to live in Houston because of the cost of housing and food is cheaper than in Atlanta but the arts and theater scene in Houston is more expensive. Also, sales tax is higher in Houston than in Atlanta.
I would have to say that I prefer Atlanta because I have lived there the longest and have developed some good relationships there that could be rekindled. But Atlanta people tend to be fickle and fake overall. Houston is a depressing town that makes you crazy with no beauty to escape into. I have seen more crazy people in Houston than in Atlanta. You can easily see homeless people holding up signs begging for food and money. Atlanta panhandlers are more aggressive and will ask you directly for money. Atlanta is hipper and cooler than Houston. Houston is about working and going home to the family. Atlanta is the same but with a touch of fun. In Atlanta you wish to connect to people but in Houston you wish to be left alone. Both cities can be boring but I think one gets lonelier in Atlanta because there is some beauty there during a time of emotional upheaval. Houston is simply ugly so all one can do is try to emotionally survive and get through it on your own and so one isn't too worried about being alone because the social network in Houston sucks and you are simply not interested in messing with the typical Houstonian. I personally think both cities suck generally. Atlanta has better weather and is prettier. Houston is less pretentious and is more laid back but the people are weird and ignorant. I rather be alone in a pretty place that helps to keep my mind intellectually sharp and be emotionally in tune with others than be in an ugly place like Houston that does not nurture intellectual improvement and relationship-building. At least in Atlanta I could go outside and take a walk and see the pretty trees and breathe in air that does not smell like oil refineries and chemicals. I also think better in Atlanta than in Houston where I feel lethargic and lazy in constant need to have some kind of escape like getting something to eat, getting laid, driving hoping to find a change, or going to a strip club. Atlanta is about quality and Houston is about quantity to put it bluntly. I don't know how great Houston can be outside of Houston city limits but I think Atlanta is a better place to raise a family. Houston is about making your millions and leaving once that is accomplished. Atlanta feels like a small town. Houston feels like a small town forced into becoming a huge international city. The only reason to come to Houston is to work your ass off and that's about the only thing that will keep you focused away from the misery of living in Houston and not being happy: work, work , work, work. Atlanta is work too but to work in order to have fun, fun, fun and more fun. But if you wish to live in Atlanta I think it's important to have a social network because Atlanta can be depressing and empty without it. You can do without the social network in Houston as along as you are busy with your time because everyone agrees that Houston sucks. I feel that I traded in a lot to come to Houston and it seems that the rewards for doing so does not justify the loss. I hope it gets better though.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,464,017 times
old thread

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 03-04-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,268,586 times
wut

Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,904,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hallelujah this was the final frontier for Downtown and Midtown to connect.
Check the dates on this thread. Clearly the closure / transfer did not happen.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:04 PM

209 posts, read 277,178 times
Wow, I was really hoping this was a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: