Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

you're talking un-american— weren't you just saying you were a citizen of the confederacy? now you're telling us to go to iraq and syria? why don't you and your husband go back to alabama instead of telling us how terrible our city is because it's not the neo-confederate lunatic land you grew up in? i eat collard greens and fried chicken, i love sweet tea and blues, but if you ever wonder why people are ashamed of being southern, take a look back at yourself.

this is not your city and not your state. stop trying to claim it under your flag of hatred because we don't want it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:38 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
OP,

You have misunderstood. It is not just your opinions I find questionable. It is the whole faux-Southern syrupy sweet "darling," Gone With the Wind language and tone that you have used to address posters in this thread to present yourself as Southern. It's over the top and unnecessary to even go to such lengths, all the while repeatedly claiming how well you were parented yet making rampant assumptions about how others were parented, which undermines your own personal claims....

You have been reading too many romanticized novels about the Southern gentry, belles, sipping tea on the porch and the like.

This will be my second and last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirl4761 View Post
Such astounding tolerance!

Wanting to censor any opinion, no matter how abhorrent you think it may be, is the most un-American thing you can do. You may not like my opinion, and I sure as hell don't like yours but I will gladly advocate to protect your right to speak your opinion, no matter that it is personally repellent to me.

If censorship of opinion to crush perceived dissenting views is something you value, you might feel much happier in the portions of Syria and Iraq controlled by an entity known as the Islamic State. You might fit in more with the dominant political force there. If you enjoy dry heat, you'll love Mosul! It's Phoenix with more minarets and Burkas and less ham sandwiches and beer and Mormons!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
This thread is going off the rails on a crazy train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I reread the OP's post and didn't see any "code words." She doesn't want to live in a place with a lot of transplants, but she said that explicitly. It's okay to want to live in a small town. I think it's commendable that she doesn't want to live in a bland suburban area. And, like she said, using Alabama and Mississippi as example of lily-white areas, or suggesting that NYC is less segregated than the south, ignores the actual facts.
There were plenty of code words in the the original post. This is most of their post distilled to the salient elements:
Quote:
4. Children(public school vs. private) Depends
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not interested in any area with MARTA access
7. Preferable demographics/ more Georgians/Atlantans than transplants -as well as people from other countrie/"down home" traditional feel/ We are White/.

/We are Christians and conservative and we would like somewhere with people who are agreeable to that/ isn't so inundated with transplant, cosmopolitan or urban kind of culture/ southern culture and values.
When someone says that they are white conservatives looking for a 'down home' small town with southern culture devoid of cosmopolitans, transplants, foreigners and any sort of access to public transit..... it sounds very much like they are looking for a lily-white 1950's Mayberry.

Besides that, if you think that NYC is less segregated than Atlanta then you are fooling yourself.

Try living in NYC for just 2 weeks and not encountering a slew of people of a different religion, first language, ethnicity, or culture. It is impossible unless you lock yourself in your house and never go anywhere.

Conversely, you can go for weeks/months in many areas of Atlanta and not meet anyone that isn't christian, wasn't born in the USA or didn't grow up speaking English.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I second cwkimbro's suggestion to look into Suwanee. Canton may also be attractive to you.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
This thread is going off the rails on a crazy train!

There were plenty of code words in the the original post. This is most of their post distilled to the salient elements:

When someone says that they are white conservatives looking for a 'down home' small town with southern culture devoid of cosmopolitans, transplants, foreigners and any sort of access to public transit..... it sounds very much like they are looking for a lily-white 1950's Mayberry.

Besides that, if you think that NYC is less segregated than Atlanta then you are fooling yourself.

Try living in NYC for just 2 weeks and not encountering a slew of people of a different religion, first language, ethnicity, or culture. It is impossible unless you lock yourself in your house and never go anywhere.

Conversely, you can go for weeks/months in many areas of Atlanta and not meet anyone that isn't christian, wasn't born in the USA or didn't grow up speaking English.
I gotta retract my earlier defense of the OP. I gave it before she identified herself as a citizen of the Confederacy and set forth her Lost Cause historical views (to the OP: read the seceding states' declarations of their reasons for seceding, see how often they mentioned taxes and tariffs).

But NYC is more segregated (at least in terms of black-white dissimilarity) than Atlanta. That's not really in dispute. Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US - Atlanta Blackstar

NYC is also the most segregated school system in the state with the most segregated schools: NYC has country’s most segregated public schools: report | New York Post

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Some of you are not being very polite to this nice lady who simply came to this forum to simply ask advice. I think you should take her requests at face value and try to either assist her, or not answer. Certainly don't attack her because she possesses a different worldview from yours. Goodness, perhaps she is right to fear transplants after the intolerant diatribes she has had to read after her simple posts. Please mind your Yankee or southern, native or transplant, conservative or liberal manners. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirl4761 View Post
Hm, when did I justify slavery? Slavery is an abhorrent institution that is against the values that I hold dear. All I said is that slavery is not a solely southern issue, more like an issue of pre-industrial societies that needed free labor to sustain agricultural economies. (I'm an Auburn Grad - History & Economics) Racism is not very nice either, however it is definitely not a southern trait. Every society that isn't monoracial experiences racism in some form or another, it is a hold over from our tribal roots. However do not tell me that the south is exclusively, or even more racist than anyone else. I would've been smacked up side the head for saying the 'n' word as a child. I however have heard thrown around with great frequency in casual conversation amongst white northerners especially those of the middle and lower classes. Also, the door swings both ways in regards to racism. For every KKK Chapter in Alabama there is a Nation of Islam temple in Harlem or Detroit.

As for the south being less developed when it comes to cities, that's a function of economics. The North and Midwest bad economies that were and are based upon things like services, finance and industry/Manufacturing. Until very recently the South was agrarian. In New York your wealth was measured by how nice your Uptown Apartment is, or perhaps your suburban estate in Connecticut. In the South money is traditionally measured in acreage.

Aside from Birmingham's steel mills, most jobs were out in the country on the farm or in the small towns that served the shopping and recreational needs of farm workers. Who says cities are superior anyhow? For me and many people they are just an ugly reality that one needs to deal with because that's where the jobs are. Not every body prioritizes being able to walk to the bar or take the train to work, especially when that comes with things like inflated prices in relation to the lack of space and privacy one has, sub-par schools, and the inevitable fact that the more people in a certain area there is, the higher fact that some of them will be inclined to criminality. For many people, affordability, a higher likelihood of not being the victim of crime , and enough space that your neighbors can't smell what you're cooking for dinner is preferable. And honestly anyone who can afford the suburbs and doesn't live with children (especially if you cannot afford private schooling) is selfish. I'll take a longer drive to make sure my child doesn't share their math class with gang members, pregnant 16 year olds, and children whose parents can't provide them with the $3 for school lunch etc.

I'm done with you. Holy crap. Nation of Islam? Are you serious? The Islam religion was barely established in America back then and the vast majority of Black Americans in this country are Christian. Just stop.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I gotta retract my earlier defense of the OP. I gave it before she identified herself as a citizen of the Confederacy and set forth her Lost Cause historical views (to the OP: read the seceding states' declarations of their reasons for seceding, see how often they mentioned taxes and tariffs).

But NYC is more segregated (at least in terms of black-white dissimilarity) than Atlanta. That's not really in dispute. Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US - Atlanta Blackstar

NYC is also the most segregated school system in the state with the most segregated schools: NYC has country’s most segregated public schools: report | New York Post
There has already been a big argument about this on another thread. I've lived in both cities for many years, so I am very comfortable with my statement thus.

However, instead of rehashing all of those arguments I will just point you to it //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ple-color.html

and reiterate what i said before on this thread:

Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
This thread is nuts.

But after reading through it - I would think your best bet would be North Forsyth or Dawson County. Or pretty much any county in the ring that is the same distance away from the City.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
There has already been a big argument about this on another thread. I've lived in both cities for many years, so I am very comfortable with my statement thus.

However, instead of rehashing all of those arguments I will just point you to it //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ple-color.html

and reiterate what i said before on this thread:

Yeah, I though this argument sounded familiar. I don't know that anything in that thread is particularly convincing in showing that NYC is less segregated that Atlanta, as far as black-white disimilarity goes. Maybe the right studies haven't been done, but the ones that have been done all show NYC is more segregated.

In the other thread you wrote:

"You would have to look pretty hard in NYC or LA to find a public school that did not exhibit a fair degree of diversification. This is certainly NOT the case here in Atlanta, which is abnormal as it is #9 among the largest metropolitan areas in the USA."

If we're talking about the city of Atlanta versus NYC, this is just demonstrably false. There's really no argument. The Real Reasons New York has the Country

New York State

The Real Reasons New York has the Country#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta