Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:45 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Are you referring to MARTA charging for daily (<24 hours) parking?
Yes, they need to start charging for daily parking at more stations. MARTA should be subsidizing transit, not parking. People should not get free parking for the day when they pay $5 for a round trip fare. Most pay lots are already well north of $5 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Ridership vh;38330649]Yes, they need to start charging for daily parking at more sstations. MARTA should be subsidizing transit, not parking. People should not get free parking for the day when they pay $5 for a round trip fare. Most pay lots are already well north of $5 a day.[/quote]

no no no!

Ridership would decrease. Leave that mess in DC paying darn near $8 a day at most stations

Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post

no no no!

Ridership would decrease. Leave that mess in DC paying darn near $8 a day at most stations
Having that money going towards more transit service will do way more to boost ridership than free parking. We can only dream of have ridership numbers near the DC Metro and their $8 daily parking.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Having that money going towards more transit service will do way more to boost ridership than free parking. We can only dream of have ridership numbers near the DC Metro and their $8 daily parking.
That's what you get when you are funded by DC, Va, MD and fed gov verses two counties.

Plenty of other ways to bring in additional revenue. I thank the new CEO for bringing them to light

Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Yes, they need to start charging for daily parking at more stations. MARTA should be subsidizing transit, not parking. People should not get free parking for the day when they pay $5 for a round trip fare. Most pay lots are already well north of $5 a day.
I think charging for daily parking at MARTA stations would end up chasing away most users that park-and-ride, especially if it ends up being cheaper to drive and park at their place of employment. For example, in my case it's already cheaper for me to drive directly to work rather than park at Lindbergh for free and take the train to North Avenue (our monthly parking is less than 1/2 the cost of our subsidized MARTA passes). If MARTA instituted a $5 surcharge for non-long term daily parking, it would cost me ~$195/month to use MARTA ($85 pass + $5 parking x 22 days), compared to $40/month to park at work.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
MARTA can make more money leasing the parking lots to developers and build mixed use development on the under used lots. Preserve space in the garages for MARTA riders.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Quote:
I respectfullly disagree. If you want people to ride Marta, they need to provide a free place to park, at least at the outer stations. Fares need to be lowered too, no way it should cost anyone $5 round trip to ride the train.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,044,657 times
YES. Great example. One can justify a slightly longer commute on marta for the purpose of saving money but if you have to pay for parking forget about it. Will be quicker to drive to work and my company provides free parking downtown so its not worth it if I have to pay for parking and taking Marta and it takes longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think charging for daily parking at MARTA stations would end up chasing away most users that park-and-ride, especially if it ends up being cheaper to drive and park at their place of employment. For example, in my case it's already cheaper for me to drive directly to work rather than park at Lindbergh for free and take the train to North Avenue (our monthly parking is less than 1/2 the cost of our subsidized MARTA passes). If MARTA instituted a $5 surcharge for non-long term daily parking, it would cost me ~$195/month to use MARTA ($85 pass + $5 parking x 22 days), compared to $40/month to park at work.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

668 posts, read 993,922 times
I just walked past the Midtown Marta station and counted the parking spots. There are 9: two reserved for Marta Police, 1 for Zipcar, 3 for Kiss & Ride, and 3 for Taxi parking. Seems like if someone is camped out in one of those spots improperly, you just have them towed. You would get more from that then putting in a gate.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:59 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,251 times
A bit off-topic, but why are the King Memorial parking spots off-limit on the weekends? Has Grady taken these completely over? It reminds me of the inexplicably roped off lots at East Lake, when the main lot has TINY parking spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta