Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,688 times

Advertisements

Charlotte lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well as a rule, it's easier to post higher growth rates when you're a smaller metro to begin with, but the larger you get, the less likely you are to maintain that same growth rate. In terms of raw numbers, Charlotte still has a slight edge over the Triangle but I see both metros remaining on par with each other more or less for the forseeable future.
I don't know...I mean, Atlanta went from being a size of Charlotte to the size of Detroit in a matter of a decade(2.5M to 4M). That's insanely impressive and I just don't see that being replicated by any metro in the South anytime soon.

People draw comparisons to Atlanta in the 1980s to Charlotte now, but let's be real, Atlanta went under extremely massive growth from 1980-2010 that I don't see Charlotte or Raleigh doing.

Atlanta might have been the only metro not NYC or LA to have grown 1.5 million in a decade...what's more impressive is that it started with only 2.5 million, not 5+ million where birth-death ratios are higher.

Charlotte will benefit though from not growing so much so quickly. Atlanta's core is more typical of a 3 million person metro, if that, not a 6 million person metro. It grew too quickly for it's own good and maybe the recession was something Atlanta needed.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't know...I mean, Atlanta went from being a size of Charlotte to the size of Detroit in a matter of a decade(2.5M to 4M). That's insanely impressive and I just don't see that being replicated by any metro in the South anytime soon.

People draw comparisons to Atlanta in the 1980s to Charlotte now, but let's be real, Atlanta went under extremely massive growth from 1980-2010 that I don't see Charlotte or Raleigh doing.

Atlanta might have been the only metro not NYC or LA to have grown 1.5 million in a decade...what's more impressive is that it started with only 2.5 million, not 5+ million where birth-death ratios are higher.

Charlotte will benefit though from not growing so much so quickly. Atlanta's core is more typical of a 3 million person metro, if that, not a 6 million person metro. It grew too quickly for it's own good and maybe the recession was something Atlanta needed.
Atlanta was certainly an anomaly, although perhaps Austin will come close to replicating Atlanta in that regard. I think it's possible for Charlotte and the Triangle as well, depending on economic trends in the near future.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM

848 posts, read 1,121,297 times
Getting your panties tangled because you are being compared to Charlotte? Wow, get a grip. I don't think the people of any city in this country can come close to the bloated egos of some Georgians. You have no problem comparing yourselves to New York City or Los Angeles, comparisons even more hysterical than one comparing your darling city to Charlotte.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times
I was a baby, young child during the 90s boom, but I can't imagine what Atlanta's economy was like then. It must have been ultra booming for a population increase like that to occur. It also had massive hype from Blacks which were a large portion of the growth from 1990-2010....same period my parents moved from Los Angeles to Atlanta. They heard the opportunity for blacks was great...clearly it's paid off looking at my Dad's salary.

Does Charlotte or Raleigh have the hype of Atlanta in the 90s? And I don't think Austin will grow that fast.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Getting your panties tangled because you are being compared to Charlotte? Wow, get a grip. I don't think the people of any city in this country can come close to the bloated egos of some Georgians. You have no problem comparing yourselves to New York City or Los Angeles, comparisons even more hysterical than one comparing your darling city to Charlotte.
LOL! Get back to us when D.C. finally stops desperately attempting to divorce itself from its Southern roots, and secretly wishing it were 'NYC Junior' every waking moment.

You've got the attitude down, but you will always fall short in every other possible metric - as you should.

Last edited by JMatl; 02-10-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,237,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
To be fair, it's only a few people in this forum who are constantly dismissive about Charlotte. Most of us are more realistic about the merits of both Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,385,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
To be fair, it's only a few people in this forum who are constantly dismissive about Charlotte. Most of us are more realistic about the merits of both Atlanta and Charlotte.

Here's what I always notice. We'll all be happily chugging along, navel-gazing Atlanta (which is rightfully what this forum is for), and then some random person from another states jumps in and talks about how their city (Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, etc) is doing whatever we are discussing, better.

In other words - bringing the fight to the 'big dog'. Here's the thing...No1curr - we're not talking about your city - we are talking about our city. Go back to your forum, and navel-gaze your own damn city.

That's really what people get their back up about. Basically - no one was talking to you about what you want to talk about....go to where people want to talk about the same thing as you.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,144,531 times
Quote:
LOL! Get back to us when D.C. finally stops desperately attempting to divorce itself from its Southern roots, and secretly wishing it were 'NYC Junior' every waking moment.
Wow, just wow.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,237,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Here's what I always notice. We'll all be happily chugging along, navel-gazing Atlanta (which is rightfully what this forum is for), and then some random person from another states jumps in and talks about how their city (Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, etc) is doing whatever we are discussing, better.

In other words - bringing the fight to the 'big dog'. Here's the thing...No1curr - we're not talking about your city - we are talking about our city. Go back to your forum, and navel-gaze your own damn city.

That's really what people get their back up about. Basically - no one was talking to you about what you want to talk about....go to where people want to talk about the same thing as you.

Agree, but I think the poster was responding to that obnoxious "Charlotte lol" comment. There was no need for that one either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta