Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

Atlanta airport gets top marks for transit | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Hartsfield-Jackson International is a top ranked U.S. airport for transit access, according to a new survey.

The survey released by the Global Gateway Alliance showed that Atlanta’s airport is one of the best worldwide for mass transit access. The Global Gateway Alliance, a nonprofit created to address airport infrastructure issues in the New York area, ranked the world’s 30 busiest airports for passenger traffic based on mass transit travel time, cost, mode and transfers.

The Atlanta airport trailed only Madrid, Amsterdam, Dubai and Frankfurt airports, making it the top ranked U.S. airport in the survey...
As a frequent user of transit that used to do a lot of business travel and now works in the airport area, we should not neglect how important transit is to the airport (and in turn how important the airport is the the metro Atlanta economy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:57 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
I rode MARTA to and from the airport for the first time last week. It was awesome, and it cost me $5 instead of $60 (roundtrip) in an Uber black car, which is what I usually take. It didn't occur to me how much better Atlanta's airport is connected to its transit system until I started visiting other big cities, almost all of which require a bus or shuttle to get from the airport to the main transit system.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Would it be possible for the Hartsfield subway to be extended over to the new international terminal, thus ensuring that international passengers can get to the MARTA station without much effort?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Would it be possible for the Hartsfield subway to be extended over to the new international terminal, thus ensuring that international passengers can get to the MARTA station without much effort?
Not the plane train, because it's behind security -- you have to go through TSA screening to get on it. Hopefully they'll find a way to plant a station on the east side as MARTA expands to Clayton County, or maybe the people mover that goes to the rental car center can be extended around the edge of the airport.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
The new rail line for Clayton may have a stop there.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
It already goes to the international terminal for departures, so it shouldn't be that difficult, but they've chosen to make it a pain in the a$$ to use when returning to Atlanta.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It already goes to the international terminal for departures, so it shouldn't be that difficult, but they've chosen to make it a pain in the a$$ to use when returning to Atlanta.
When you return to ATL from an international flight you have to clear customs after getting off the plane. You can't then go back through airport security to get on the plane train. I'm not sure that even if you could it would be more convenient than the shuttle to the domestic terminal.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
They need to encourage more tourist to use Marta instead of taking a taxi downtown

Old 02-12-2015, 11:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Not the plane train, because it's behind security -- you have to go through TSA screening to get on it. Hopefully they'll find a way to plant a station on the east side as MARTA expands to Clayton County, or maybe the people mover that goes to the rental car center can be extended around the edge of the airport.
Ah, I see... I don't fly, and I've never seen Hartsfield so all I know is what is described to me or pictured. Perhaps an above ground system can be installed similar to the people mover as you say.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Just get on the shuttle outside. You will be at the Marta entrance in 7 mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta