Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times

Advertisements

I-285/Ga. 400 Redo: Outdated Before The First Orange Barrel? | WABE 90.1 FM

Quote:
Brace yourself, Atlanta commuters.

Next year, the Georgia Department of Transportation begins a three year rework of the Interstate 285/Georgia 400 interchange. It promises to relieve congestion along one of the nation’s worst bottlenecks.

For example, State Farm is bringing 3,000 workers to a new building near Perimeter Mall. Across the street, there are plans for a new hotel, 2.2 million square feet of office space and 3,000 new abodes. Not far away is Mercedes-Benz’s newly-proposed U.S. headquarters ─ which will add another 1,000 folks.

“This project was planned years before" these announcements, says GDOT spokeswoman Annalysce Baker.

Baker says the I-285/Ga. 400 rework didn’t account for specific development, but plans did include forecast growth. Currently 221,000 cars travel the route each day. In 2039, when GDOT forecasts it’ll be time to go back to the drawing board; the number could be 357,000, Baker says.

“This project is not meant to be the silver bullet to resolve all traffic issues at the top end of the perimeter," she says.

But can it get us to 2039?

If you buy into a theory known as "induced demand," the answer is “no.”

Induced demand is kind of like the famous line from the 1989 film, “Field of Dreams.” If you build more lanes, magically, more cars appear.

“You’ll never catch up with the demand," Rod Diridon, executive director of the Mineta Transportation Institute, says. The I-285/GA-400 project is a Band-Aid that only delays terminal gridlock, he says.

“Atlanta may be 10, 15 or 20 years away from it," Diridon says, "but it’s rapidly approaching that level, and it’s doing so because they’re so successful in pursuing jobs.”

In other words, Atlanta's growth success today could be its downfall down the road.

Diridon says the only real fix is a New York or San Francisco-like mass transit system that incorporates multiple modes of transportation ─ everything from bike lanes to commuter rail.

Last edited by jsvh; 02-13-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM

209 posts, read 276,298 times
To me, it doesn't look like it's more lanes so much as reconfigured feed and distribution. This will hugely improve safety. Will there still be congestion? Probably, but safety should be number one.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
To me, it doesn't look like it's more lanes so much as reconfigured feed and distribution. This will hugely improve safety. Will there still be congestion? Probably, but safety should be number one.
If safety is number one then discouraging driving should be priority number 1. Its by far the most dangerous thing people do on a regular basis.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM

209 posts, read 276,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If safety is number one then discouraging driving should be priority number 1. Its by far the most dangerous thing people do on a regular basis.
Good luck with that. Like it or not, people are still going to drive. I support transit expansion too, but build all the transit you want, and I-285/GA400 will remain a critical piece of Metro Atlanta's infrastructure, and it needs to be safe.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:
Good luck with that. Like it or not, people are still going to drive. I support transit expansion too, but build all the transit you want, and I-285/GA400 will remain a critical piece of Metro Atlanta's infrastructure, and it needs to be safe.
Thank you for this practical dose of realism!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Nirvana Fallacy. It would be great if it resolved all problems, completely, for all time, but even resolving some problems, partially, for some time, has value. The question is not about what improvement it does not offer. The question is about the improvement it does offer, and whether that improvement is worth the price.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I am not a big fan of this thing.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that. Like it or not, people are still going to drive.
Of course people are still going to drive. We should not stop them, people should be free to take risks if they choose. But we should not be encouraging it either, and we should be giving people other choices besides driving. The tax dollars would be better spent on transit if we are going to spend it.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,834 times
The project needs to be done. It's mainly a safety issue, which shouldn't exist in the first place, but does whether we like it or not. The project is happening.

I'd love to see the money go towards mass transit. But let's make that argument when the state wants to build a new highway, not when they are fixing dangerous design flaws in existing infrastructure.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM

126 posts, read 231,781 times
My concern is that transit won't even be on the table in the future. The state's bound to protect ROW for the long-projected HOT Lanes to run through the area, if there's even any left. Will there be any space set aside for transit in the future? It's presented as this solution to solve congestion, and it probably will, but what are we going to do in 2040 when Perimeter Center is even larger than it is now? Spend another billion to make it three levels taller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta