Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else. This is a survey the ARC took from residents last year on a variety of topics about Atlanta.

Get Informed | Plan 2040 Update | Atlanta Regional Commission

The "state of the region" report is a 20 page document detailing the results of their survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
New ARC survey for those interested in giving your feedback
https://atlantaregionsplan.metroquest.com/

Old 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
Sweet!

Another study, exactly what we needed!

Old 12-08-2015, 02:55 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,379,079 times
I just participated. Apparently, only 5 other people have done so thus far.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:49 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I somehow found that to be a difficult survey. I am really getting old.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I somehow found that to be a difficult survey. I am really getting old.
You need more ER.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:54 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,357 times
I reviewed some of the findings from the more recently shared results (from a prior survey and planning effort). A few things that are of interest to me are that the most significant infrastructure projects, such as transit, won't be implemented until in the later years captured in the report. Additionally, lots of attention is being paid to our graying population since 20% of Metro Atlanta residents will be aged 60+ within a few years (by 2030, I believe). The long-range view of master planning, I think, should encourage people to get out of the bubble of thinking about their lives and preferences today - and instead begin imagining how they will have to - or will want to - live in their maturing or senior years. The research shows most older adults, without kids in the house and retired or on the way to retirement, want to stay in their own original homes. The development patterns and master planning will need to take into account those themes and create ways for people to benefit from liveability on the terms they plan to enact in their real lives.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I reviewed some of the findings from the more recently shared results (from a prior survey and planning effort). A few things that are of interest to me are that the most significant infrastructure projects, such as transit, won't be implemented until in the later years captured in the report. Additionally, lots of attention is being paid to our graying population since 20% of Metro Atlanta residents will be aged 60+ within a few years (by 2030, I believe). The long-range view of master planning, I think, should encourage people to get out of the bubble of thinking about their lives and preferences today - and instead begin imagining how they will have to - or will want to - live in their maturing or senior years. The research shows most older adults, without kids in the house and retired or on the way to retirement, want to stay in their own original homes. The development patterns and master planning will need to take into account those themes and create ways for people to benefit from liveability on the terms they plan to enact in their real lives.
Provided the elderly residents with reliable transit so they can do their own errands and not have to depend on family or driving. Without giving these elderly transportation options in their low density, car-centric, cul-de-sacs they will become prisoners of their own homes and never leave.
I expect services like Instacart and others to help serve this need, but the prices are too high for many on a fixed income.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
Forsyth County already provides a dial-a-ride service.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Provided the elderly residents with reliable transit so they can do their own errands and not have to depend on family or driving. Without giving these elderly transportation options in their low density, car-centric, cul-de-sacs they will become prisoners of their own homes and never leave.
I expect services like Instacart and others to help serve this need, but the prices are too high for many on a fixed income.
Being prisoners in their own homes and never leaving, I think, is hyperbole, unless you are talking about the most high-need elderly, in which case they probably wouldn't be traveling locally on their own anyway, be it in a car or via public transit anyway. I think what is / will be important for the aging population is local livability where they currently are (in their paid-off homes they don't plan to leave). That would likely include easy access to nearby healthcare facilities, discretionary activities, parks and outdoor amenities, grocery stores, a few good eating places, pharmacies and the like. Most elderly people don't want to walk everywhere, so I don't think the walkability is a high-priority theme for that group, but the services and resources need to be accessible within a reasonable local radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: