Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Honestly I am not worried.

The same can be said of income taxes or property taxes.
Until the housing bust, property taxes have remained stable. Incomes do not drop unless a lot of people lose their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Obviously I only know as much about you as you stated but if taxes are concern enough to lose employees you aren't that high of an earner. And while any job is great, a couple dozen in a metro area of 5.5 million is tiny.
Obviously you don't. You are correct. And your job would not seem so tiny were you to lose it. Sarcasm is not at all amusing when it comes to someone's livelihood.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Is this taught in Social Justice Warrior 101?
By all means, GLS, don't listen to anyone who has a different opinion than you do. That would risk seeing issues from a new perspective, and we wouldn't want that, now, would we?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Obviously you don't. You are correct. And your job would not seem so tiny were you to lose it. Sarcasm is not at all amusing when it comes to someone's livelihood.
Where's my sarcasm? Obviously a job is important to individuals. I hated it when my mom lost her job right as I started my freshman year in college. Hated it when my dad got laid off 10 years ago. But in the grand scheme of things what do you hear more about? "Local company adds 2 workers" or "Major car maker moves HQ to Atlanta"? Obviously for the people getting the jobs it doesn't matter but for the overall job market the addition of a major player and several hundred jobs looks much better. Anyway my comment was just that you aren't near the highest earners and aren't subject to the highest taxes anyway. The upper echelon tax cuts (or potential increases) won't impact you nearly as much as the CEO of Mercedes. And that's what lawmakers care about like it or not. Mercedes was offered 23 million in incentives. Willing to bet you didn't get that much from the state.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times
Quote:
In the very first sentence of the article they tell you that they are using the top 40% of the wage earners. That is not rich people. That includes households like two school teachers, senior police officers, and so on.
The title of the article should be "The people who have decent jobs pay more of the taxes, and we want to reduce taxes for the very rich, and ordinary people can make up the difference with sales tax."

This is one of the ways that the stooges of the rich lie to you. By including ordinary hard working people in the group, they are trying to fool you into thinking that you will benefit from the tax code changes.
They wil benefit. You wil not.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This, this, and this. Woohoo, more handouts to those who least need them.
Exactly!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Quote:
It helps the high earners, which are a small subset of the rich. And, the high earners do generally pay more. But, as for the "rich" - I don't think they have an obligation to "pay more." Generally, it is the rich who create jobs to employee the non-rich. So they pay through their investments.
You are free to vote against your own economic interests, and that of basically everyone here. Just don't have any illusion you are helping yourself or anyone else here, just that of the 0.1%. In my view, they most certainly do have a moral obligation. And a patriotic one. And of course a Christian obligation unless they completely misinterpreted Christ's teachings. People don't work for hospitals, fire departments, and and schools for free. If we had more social spending it would literally save lives, and of course improve them all as well. That is a little bit more important than the super-rich being able to buy that 10th mansion on an island somewhere. I am not saying we need to not allow millionaires or even billionaires, far from it. But if we raised their rates back to the 1950s (what Republicans think of as our wonder years, right? the good ol' days, no?) I would be more than happy. I also believe in capitalism, with relatively moderate guidance. Then the Rich can settle for 8 houses, instead of 10. Good enough, yes?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM

559 posts, read 832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
You are free to vote against your own economic interests, and that of basically everyone here. Just don't have any illusion you are helping yourself or anyone else here, just that of the 0.1%. In my view, they most certainly do have a moral obligation. And a patriotic one. And of course a Christian obligation unless they completely misinterpreted Christ's teachings. People don't work for hospitals, fire departments, and and schools for free. If we had more social spending it would literally save lives, and of course improve them all as well. That is a little bit more important than the super-rich being able to buy that 10th mansion on an island somewhere. I am not saying we need to not allow millionaires or even billionaires, far from it. But if we raised their rates back to the 1950s (what Republicans think of as our wonder years, right? the good ol' days, no?) I would be more than happy. I also believe in capitalism, with relatively moderate guidance. Then the Rich can settle for 8 houses, instead of 10. Good enough, yes?

Free tip: you'll see the world much more clearly when you drop all the labels and stop looking at extremes. They simply don't exist for even 0.1%. What you describe as your image of "rich" is more like 0.00000001% and some brain-dead extremism.

I do business with several people who have earned wealth over $100 million, and not one of them has more than a primary residence and 1 vacation home. They didn't acquire their wealth by being stupid or frivolous or greedy. They got it from 40-50 years of hard work, being incredibly smart, and by improving the lives of those they did business with. And by and large, they are the most generous and grateful people I know.

Try reading more "The Millionaire Next Door" and learn about the true wealth in this country. What you see on TV or in political blogs just isn't reality for 99% of people you call "rich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta