Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times

Advertisements

jessiesma,

If you're a practicing Jew you're going to like living in Toco Hills. There's a really big Jewish community there, lots of synogogues, and Jewish private schools. I have a friend who's Orthodox and lives there.

It has a little bit more of a suburban feel to it than my neighborhood of Candler Park but that's only because it was largely built in the late 40/early 50s where as Candler Park was built up mostly at the turn of the century. So, in Toco there are a lot more ranches. But, they've been "uniquified" over decades so there's no cookie cutter quality. I have many friends who live there and like it there. You're still close to everything and you can walk to a lot of things.

And the schools around there are good, too.

I love city life. It definitely suits our small family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Thumbs up exactly

why we're moving back it's where I lived before and now it's even better. We're not planning to buy. we're getting into our senior years and I have MS so while I'd love a house, it might be difficult. We've been renting for years. Uniquified? I like that! That's what 50 years of landscaping will do to an area. We are growing in observance, want to stop driving on the Sabbath. There are some kosher apts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
jessiesma,

If you're a practicing Jew you're going to like living in Toco Hills. There's a really big Jewish community there, lots of synogogues, and Jewish private schools. I have a friend who's Orthodox and lives there.

It has a little bit more of a suburban feel to it than my neighborhood of Candler Park but that's only because it was largely built in the late 40/early 50s where as Candler Park was built up mostly at the turn of the century. So, in Toco there are a lot more ranches. But, they've been "uniquified" over decades so there's no cookie cutter quality. I have many friends who live there and like it there. You're still close to everything and you can walk to a lot of things.

And the schools around there are good, too.

I love city life. It definitely suits our small family.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

In my opinion it takes a neighborhood a minimum of 20 years to start uniquifying. I lived in a neighborhood in Gwinnett that was built in the early 80s. As a result, we had more trees and people had added on and built sunrooms, gardens, etc. So, it didn't look so cookie cutter.

Enjoy your move back. I know a lot of Jews in Toco Hills don't drive on the Sabbath. Not to be some sort of jerk but I always like when I drive through there on Saturday and all the people are dressed in their Sabbath best and walking around, going to Synogogue, going to dinnners. It's a nice feeling to see people out and about.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM

37 posts, read 233,196 times
Well, we don't know Atlanta,visited once, but my husband has family in a town called Lilburn ZIP 30047,How is this place?Also about job opportunities?(my husband works in auto sales).Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Lilburn is the burbs. It's on the decline, if I remember correctly.

There are a lot of auto dealerships out on Satellite Blvd, near Gwinnett Place Mall. Lilburn isn't too far from that.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Default don't think you're being a jerk

don't worry about it. We don't proselytize or push our beliefs on anyone. It is nice to be a part of it tho. when I lived there before, I wasn't ready to be that observant but it got to me ya know? Made me determined to marry a Jewish man and get serious with G-d. It's been a process.
We will visit during Passover and then make the move when this lease in FL expires later this Summer.

Quote:
In my opinion it takes a neighborhood a minimum of 20 years to start uniquifying. I lived in a neighborhood in Gwinnett that was built in the early 80s. As a result, we had more trees and people had added on and built sunrooms, gardens, etc. So, it didn't look so cookie cutter.

Enjoy your move back. I know a lot of Jews in Toco Hills don't drive on the Sabbath. Not to be some sort of jerk but I always like when I drive through there on Saturday and all the people are dressed in their Sabbath best and walking around, going to Synogogue, going to dinnners. It's a nice feeling to see people out and about.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Default not for a gal from Queens

let hubby commute to the dealerships. also I think US 41 north of the Perimeter had lots of auto dealers. That's pretty easy from intown. Really think about all the intown neighborhoods. I don't think you'll be happy out in the 'burbs. It ain't Long Island ya know

Quote:
Lilburn is the burbs. It's on the decline, if I remember correctly.

There are a lot of auto dealerships out on Satellite Blvd, near Gwinnett Place Mall. Lilburn isn't too far from that.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 PM

109 posts, read 329,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyerfam4 View Post
Oh no, really? We are from Westchester and considering a move to Atlanta as well. What do you regret?
i miss the ny way. it's all about the kids, religion, and college football. i will eventually move back to ny.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 10,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae12 View Post
Well, we don't know Atlanta,visited once, but my husband has family in a town called Lilburn ZIP 30047,How is this place?Also about job opportunities?(my husband works in auto sales).Thanks again!
I live in Lilburn and absolutely love it. It's all about where you are in Lilburn. I grew up on Long Island (Port Jefferson area) and the neighborhood I live in here in Lilburn reminds me sooo much of the neighborhood I grew up in. Yes, it's in the "burbs" but it's not that bad. But you need to stay away from the area between 85 and Lawrenceville Highway. Look at the Parkview/Brookwood schools. They are top rated in Gwinnett County. I don't have kids but I live in the Parkview cluster with Camp Creek as the elementary school and my neighbors wouldn't even think about moving out of the area. And the best part is you can get a really nice house for around $150K - 200K.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,107 times
Default From Buffalo

I don't regret one second! Yes, the traffic stinks really, really, bad, there's no outdoor water for my wading pool, but I figure that's the cost I have to pay for sunshine, warm weather, and no blaring music from cars that go boom-boom into the night. But ask me again when its 90 degrees at night for the 20th night in a row!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta